Require existing account to release camera before it can be set up on new account

I have read thru the posts and there seems to be equal ground on both sides of the fence on this one:

1. Good feature to have if someone steals a cam, then they just have a brick. Also good to have so a bad actor with cam access can’t just hijack a cam.

2. Bad feature to have in domestic disputes because the one with the cam can’t use it because the other with the account won’t release it. Some bad Karma there.

There are probably other situations as well on both sides of the feature. Are there ways to develop the feature so that it works on both sides?

Possible feature enhancements:

If someone stole my cams, I would actually want them to try to install it. The cam has a MAC address that is logged to Wyze when installed on an account that corresponds to the ISP IP on which it is installed. Wyze has this data.

I would like to see a feature within Wyze to report\flag a cam as stolen. It would work like this: I would get an email\SMS\Push notification\in App popup\App Message if any install is attempted for any of my cams on another account. This would require me to confirm “Yes, this is fine, please release the cam from my account” or “No, Flag for immediate legal action”. If I don’t respond within X time, it releases on its own. Flagging it would require me to enter a description of the reason and would issue me a flag number to pass on to law enforcement or lawyer. I would then have an extended X time to have law enforcement or a lawyer contact Wyze for action.

I could then relay this flag number to law enforcement who could then use the proper legal channels to contact Wyze and identify the IP location and take proper action.

I realize this feature has some deep legal considerations and I haven’t begun to see all the angles from my perspective. Maybe there are lawyers and law enforcement in the forums that could ring in.

Perhaps it is just food for thought that can help to develop the feature to work for both sides of the fence.

2 Likes