Multiple saved detection zones

So, I had something happen the other night and it gave me an idea for a possible feature, one that would allow a user to have multiple saved detection zones. ( e.x. zone A. and Zone B.)

so as part of the Rules, you can automate things with your camera. this is a great feature and would be directly applicable to the multiple saved zones as well.

if we could have multiple zones, for now lets say two. we would be able to set up a zone on say just the bottom left of the camera capture frame. we will call this Zone A. and another capturing the entire frame, Zone B

for something like my current set up Zone A would be good for knowing when people are actually approaching my front door and wouldn’t get false alerts every time a car drives by, or someone is walking down the sidewalk. with the 5 minute cool down, this would allow me to capture important things like deliveries, or people that are actually at my door and not miss the a lot of things. for me this particular zone would only be active from 0600- 2100. times of a lot of movement where I live.

and here is where the second zone and corresponding schedule would come in handy. I would have that second zone B activate during the less busy times, like 2100-0600 where if someone is walking down my sidewalk or hanging out in front of my house, I want to know about it.

having the ability to use rules and thus automate it would be a huge time saver for people with multiple cameras. no one really wants to go in and change detection zones every day on one, let alone many cameras.

having these preset zones would be handy for many other reasons too, and i’m sure our community would find some amazing uses for multiple zones. I know I could just do this on my own, but with 12 cameras, I’m not sure I have the focus for that, and no ability to automate it in case I forget…

now let me spin you a tale of what prompted this idea. I currently have a camera in a window monitoring my front porch. this catches people walking up to my door, but nothing else. while out doing a brake job in my garage, at some point a truck pulled up and parked on the street across from my house. he was parked directly in front of a house that has been empty and up for sale for quite a while. I thought it was odd because it was past midnight, it was a nicer truck, and if they were visiting anyone of my neighbors, why wouldn’t they park close to the house they were visiting. I had also never seen this vehicle before…

so being that I was off duty I called a friend that was currently on duty and told him what was up. keep in mind that maybe I’m more hyper vigilant because of my job and having had someone try to break into my house within the last 2 years. So my friend runs the plate and does some work and it turns out the owner of the truck had a personal protection order against him from one of my neighbors and was not supposed to be even on our street. he had been stalking her yet again. he got some fancy new bracelets and a bed for the night, and all this was without major incident.

He hadn’t been inside the truck for as long as I was aware it was parked, so I couldn’t tell my friend what he looked like, what he was wearing, or what direction he had gone.

I know our cameras are not security cameras. and keep in mind I’m not asking for this feature to magically turn them into security cameras. its just nice to know whats going on around the house :nerd_face: and not doubt this feature could be used to endless surprise to cut down on false alerts during busy times, and increase the correct alerts at other times. if you are using a camera to capture wildlife in your yard, wouldn’t it be nice to change the zones for a bit so you don’t capture multiple videos of uncle Eddie out mowing the yard :joy:

Yep. I’d love to schedule sensitivity settings and detection zones. Would be very useful in addressing headlight motion detection issues at night.

2 Likes

I have the camera pointed at the walkway. During the daytime I want the detection zone to encompass the whole area but at night time I want the zone to exclude parts of the screen where the neighbors motion light can shine onto the walkway causing false triggers. It would be useful to set different detection zones that take effect at different times.

2 Likes

This. Separate zones, 1 for day and 1 for night would be nice. This would also, for me at least, cut down on the number of events triggered at night.

Less Events = Less Cloud Storage = Possibly less hosting costs for Wyze?

1 Like

I would love to be able to do multiple detection zones as well as to block zones … my neighbor has a motion light that constantly goes on and off … would love to be able to block just that pinpoint

2 Likes

Wyze please read, I’ve seen mutiple requests since 2018, but don’t see a formal response as to if this may make it into the wyze cams product road map.

Feature Request
For the Wyze cameras can you enhance the motion detection zone, to be more adjustable or have multiple zones. This would help reduce false positives, also saving queries to cloud people / motion detection.

Right now you have a Stella product, with the lack of multiple zones being the Achilles heel, reducing the usefulness of the overall solution.

Wyze reviews the #wishlist requests on a regular basis. If the tag changes from “maybe-later” to “researching”, then you know this request is on their radar. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes please, multiple detection zones on the same frame but also with the possibility to set a much smaller square / rectangle than the one actually we can set. The smallest detection zone is still too big and I cannot avoid the tree leaves and branches that keep triggering the camera recording.

I also have my PAN Cam viewing my doorstep and the early afternoon is very breezy and it would be great to automatically decrease or increase sensitivity at certain times of the day -

Great idea - I like making one camera do the work of two :slightly_smiling_face:

I will not mention how many mowing videos I’ve sifted through looking for the one where someone messed with the front door… :weary:

1 Like

Hi, having used other camera systems with either multiple detection zones or the ability to draw a polygon rather than rectangle shape it would be great to see this added to Wyze Cameras.

Impressed with the app and system so far, so hope you can move this feature higher up the roadmap soon.

:wink:

I think it would be nice to see multiple zones by time and show each ai detection in zones (person in walkway during day, add road during night, etc)

During the day I just want to detect if people come up on my porch. After midnight though, I would like to capture footage of anyone who comes around the front of my house. To accomplish this I would like to be able to schedule a time to change the detection zone or turn off the zone entirely and look for motion across the whole camera view. Thanks for voting!

3 Likes

That is the exact same reason I made this post. I really really hope they implement this especially now that they have the doorbell. It would be so so useful for that.

Multiple Trigger Zones

The ability to trigger other devices via camera events is a key automation feature. The wide angle cameras can cover a large area. It would be very useful to allow multiple trigger zones.

Example:
You pull into your driveway on the side of your house. Walk to towards the front of the house, trigger the front door light switch. Walk towards the back of the house, trigger the deck light switch. Essentially, an A and B detection zone on a single camera.

2 Likes

I agree.
I’m currently trying to determine how create events that capture motion on the right, motion on the left, and motion in the middle. An example: 3 parking spots viewable in the camera image, each one creating an event/trigger to say “vehicle detected spot 1” or vehicle detected spot 2"

Another problem I’m trying to solve.
A Camera owner and their Friend, with shared access, want to watch different areas of the image for motion, since the camera covers both of their driveways.

Possible Solution:
Perhaps another plan like CamPlus that lets shared users define their own detection zones and Alerts.

1 Like

This is a great wishlist idea. For me, I found some situations where a detection zone is perfect during the daytime, but at night, headlights will certain areas that I need to block out at night time, but I don’t want them blocked out during the day time because then affects getting some alerts I want during the day time. It would be great if I could set up a schedule for detection zone A during the day, and detection zone B at night.

2 Likes

Secondary detection zones

It would be great to be able to set up a primary and secondary detection zone. Ideally the primary would zone would trigger notification alerts and be flagged in event recordings and the secondary zone would just trigger event recording.

Use case example:
I live in a very large apartment complex that has a jogging trail behind my unit, which my patio camera has great view of. I want to get notifications for any activity that happens directly on my patio but I also want to be able to easily see activity events the occurred outside of that primary area. Neighbors often reach out to the community to see if anyone has footage of the trail when there’s a theft or other suspicious activity (there’s a nearby homeless encampment and theft and druggies wandering around has become an issue). Unfortunately the neighbors usually ask for activity within a large timeframe like sometime between 1 a.m. and 4 a.m., and currently it’s just too difficult and time consuming to manually scrub through the playback to pinpoint any activity outside of my set detection zone. I could broaden my detection zone but I do not want to get alerts for every single person that walks the trail. And more importantly, I don’t want to tune out and miss important notifications if someone were to trespass onto my patio. A primary and optional secondary detection zone would completely solve this problem.

[Mod Edit] Merged with an existing wishlist topic. Give it a vote to help it along!

Scheduled, different motion detection zones, based on time of day.

I live in an area with lots of wind and trees and the tree shadows trigger motion detection and as the sun moves across the sky the shadows move across the whole camera view. I’d love to have part of the view the detection zone in the morning and another part the afternoon. (Basically removing the moving tree shadows from the detection zone).

[Mod Edit] Merged with an existing wishlist topic. Give it a vote to help it along!

Chime/Whistle/Chirp + Dual Detection Zones

Know what would be useful right about now? Being able to select zones that, when motion is detected, would play a sound clip through the camera itself.

I am house hunting and when going to 1 house I noticed they had cameras that did this. I’d love to still be able to record motion close to my home but only play a chirp when someone is so close they don’t need to be, kinda a reminder of hey I see you.

We have some kids that have been playing by our home (apartments) after school and I’ve already caught them once trying to take a package. They didn’t because they were talking about how they didn’t know if the camera saw them, they’re elementary age.

It’d be cool to notify someone that steps directly onto our porch that they’re being recorded (without me having to check my phone and possibly speak through the camera or manually triggering the siren).

I see that we can auto trigger the siren in the rules, but if I did that I’d need to really restrict the detection zone as an alarm going off is so loud and obnoxious. Can we get a simple one time chirp or something?

1 Like