It's been fun but

MOD NOTE: Post removed to conform to the Community Guidelines.

Some posts were removed or edited that did not follow the Community Guidelines. Please flag posts that violate the guidelines so the moderators can respond appropriately.

Key points from the guidelines to keep in mind:

• Remember to criticize ideas, not people
  • Please avoid name-calling
  • Don’t divert a topic by changing it midstream
  • Keep posts relevant to Wyze

Important sections:

Always Be Civil

Somtimes We Disagree

3 Likes

Of all the hodgepodge of cheap cameras I have been using for the last 15 years, all of them have supported RTSP, even before I knew what that acronym was… -Bill

2 Likes

What did happen? I feel I am missing something here.

Sure no problem. What did happen was XNor.ai, the company Wyze partnered with to much fanfare for the edge/local/on-camera person detection code, unexpectedly sold out to Apple and exercised a part of their contract Wyze wasn’t expecting, pretty much immediately leaving Wyze without a local person detection solution. This was only a few months into the contract. This left Wyze without something they’d promised would be free, and that they needed to compete in the market. So they developed a “cloud” based alternative, doing person detection analysis on their servers instead of the low powered cameras. All this had zero to do with Wyze “taking a stand” against foreign data sharing, or with “separating ties”. Wyze were the ones who got unexpectedly and unceremoniously dumped in the relationship. XNor (and Apple) really screwed them over.

I don’t know what other claims were made in the original post or how accurate they are.

5 Likes

Wow I’m so sorry to hear that you have lost faith in them. For myself I’ve never been happier than I am with them. Not only do I recommend their products but they are now the stand by gifts for everyone and all occasions. I am so glad that I found them.

7 Likes

I feel with you.

I sometimes also feel that Wyze, a great camera company, is trying to use it’s near cult-like name to diversify into anything they can make money off. Reminds me a lot of InstantPot where I have seen a similar development.

This unfortunately diverts valuable management resources and developer time away from keeping the original core customers happy.

Add to that the fact that there are plenty of customers outside the US who have been waiting years for such a simple thing as Alexa support. Or, as you mentioned, the ONVIF support to use the cameras with a NAS.

Considering I work closely with Xiaomi I find a lot of similarity between their ecosystem and Wyze’s new products although it could probably have been made by any other Chinese manufacturer too.

1 Like

Xiamoi is spot on:

Xiamoi XiaoFang 1080p

3 Likes

Ditto!
What he said!
Cranedweller58

Try Euphy. After ditching Wyze I found them to work pretty well. Notifications are quick and camera quality is superb

1 Like

To be fair, my 2 v2 CAMS work reasonably well as i use SD cards in both. After zillions of PersonDetection complaints it now works well enough for my purposes , plus. I have no “cloud” worries. So im staying :grapes::grapes::grapes:

You make great points but look out for the likely banishment of your article and YOU as the moderator won’t tolerate truth such as this.

I posted CLEAR LOVE OF WYZE coupled with disgust at the years long lack of Apple support that 100’s of millions of iPhone owners desire.

Banished to the bad boy bin for a week for truth telling.

1 Like

Can you relate details?

About the XNor saga? I just did, above. This is my own recollection but there are many contemporaneous accounts here in the forum and elsewhere on the Internets.

@abchase They’ve done too much too fast. But they, their investors, someone, should have seen this coming. It’s sometimes fun to be an early adopter but this isn’t that much fun.

1 Like

Not likely. Truth telling or even fiction is not against forum rules.

Tell the truth. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@Customer, you are spot on. Thank you for being the one to put the details in here.
I won’t go back and edit the original post because too much time has passed, and to be honest, I don’t think that’s the right approach. I’d rather thank you for your input and admit that maybe I was a bit all over the place when trying to write out my thoughts. I would have benefitted from re-reading before hitting submit.

As for @hairsarenumbered, I welcome the feedback and I think it’s clear that I’m not really hating on Wyze. Aside from the customer service issue, which I won’t go into here, I’ve had an overall decent experience. To me, at this point, I’m no longer in the mood to tinker as much as I was when this journey started. Yes, for the price point, Wyze makes some great products. Unfortunately, they no longer fit my personality. There’s no one point that broke me, it was a cumulative effort. Of which, I only broached a few points in my initial post.

All said and done, I think this has been a great conversation bringing up some great points. I know Wyze does listen to its customers. Especially through the great efforts that their employee moderators do managing this (at times) unruly bunch here in the forums. I have long been a watcher, and even fewer a poster/replier. And, I will continue to use what I have for the time being.

3 Likes

My intentions weren’t to give you a hard time. Just pointing out that some of the details were incorrect.

1 Like

Really, your camera detects every vehicle, every person, every leaf that blows by and you don’t feel secure!!?? Better than not detecting anything at all!

Not likely to you is actual reality to me … it’s a fine line