Instructions for Installing Wyze Cam on Synology Surveillance Station

Here’s how to install a Wyze Cam on a Synology NAS running Surveillance Station:

First follow these steps:

Then open your Synology Surveillance Station app
Click on the “IP Camera” app
Click “Add>Add Camera”
Select “Complete Setup”

In the “Add Camera Wizard”
Select the pulldown menu next to “Brand”
Select "[User Define]

Now enter the rtsp path as show on the rtsp settings page on your Wyze phone app
Or enter the rtsp path and add the port by inserting it after the IP address
example: rtsp://admin:password@192.168.1.10:554/live
Either should work.

Good luck!

9 Likes

Useful first post. Welcome to the community.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed post. I have a Synology DS716+ NAS and will be trying your procedure in the near future.

It worked fine with my DS918+ so you shouldn’t have any problem at all.

One of the problems that Synology has is that they haven’t sufficiently invested in technical writers to document the features and procedures for using their NASs. This is a problem across the entire industry. It’s really a shame because in this case a good technical writer would’ve suggested to the engineers that they need to change the “[User Define]” field in the “Brand” menu to “RTSP” so consumers know how to setup RTSP cameras.

I love my Synology NASs but so many of their best features are undocumented and sometimes the user interfaces need just a little bit a tweaking as in this case.

3 Likes

Completely agree. I spent 35 years in IT before retirement and even I struggle with some of the nuances of my NAS (and DSM) … love it though. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you for this!

Glad you found it useful. I had to watch quite a few foreign language YouTube video to discover the trick to installing Wyze cams on Synology boxes. No one should ever have do that again!

Hey Glowspud, thanks for posting the info. I’ve updated my cam with the RTSP firmware but my surveillance station still cannot find the camera. Camera functions correctly through the android/ios apps though.

Any ideas? Thank you

I think I had to reboot the Wyze a couple times before the NAS would recognize it.

If you really want to eliminate any network issues, I’d shutdown every device on the network and then start them up starting with the router, NAS, wifi APs, computers and then cameras.

Hope this helps.

Hi all,

Just want to ask before I decide to buy Wyze V2 cam to work together with Synology Surveillance Station SSS. Will this cam work with SSS detecting motion and triggers recording with the video eventually stored in the NAS?

Or it just shows up in the livecam of SSS as a video streaming without recording capability?

Thanks

Yes it works with motions triggers in Surveillance station.

I will say though that the Wyze RTSP stream is very choppy, slow, and basically not enjoyable to watch on SS. The audio is choppy as well.

It’s in sharp contrast to the video and audio in the Wyze app that looks great and loads fast. Might just be that the camera doesn’t have enough processing power?

I’ve tried running the stream on other programs and other Wyze cams with the same result. If anyone knows what I’m doing wrong, please let me know!

I’ve managed to get RTSP to work natively without a custom firmware for my Wyze Cam Pan (v1?) on firmware 4.29.4.40, I had the custom beta firmware previously but somehow it stopped working. I reset the camera and went through setup and came across the RTSP option (to my happy surprise!).

You had me excited there for a minute… But that’s not the stock firmware. That 4.29 prefix IS the RTSP version numbering. Below is a screenshot of the latest Pan version numbers.

So am I to understand that once the RTSP firmware is installed there is no going back to the original firmware?

If going back to original firmware is an option might you please provide a download link?

Thank you

Let me web search that for you:

My Wyze 3v camera fails to authenticate. The Waze 3 is not listed on the pull down list . Only the Waze v2 is listed. What do you propose I do? TC.

What pull down list? Do you need Synology support perhaps? Wyze has add multiple new cameras since the V2 and their mobile Wyze app - more or less the only “official” way to access their cameras - supports all of them.

I’m with you. similar issue. I have 13 Wyze Cams and no way to add them into my Synology based Surveillance Station. I have a number oF Amcrest and Foscam Cams too but have been slowly moving off the Foscams. I have a farm and have Cameras all over. I have no problem with My Amcrest NVRs, but have been moving forward with the new technologies. The Wyze Cams have been great but I can’t integrate them into a local NVR environment. I’m moving to the Surveillance Station model because of the consolidation and redundency of the Synology equipment and sharing with file and systems backups… I hope that there is a solution coming…

1 Like

I have PAN V2 camera. Can I connect Synology with my PAN V2 ?

So the Wyze v3 is not going to work with the Synology server. Too bad the new cameras cannot be added to the Synology NAS software update . Maybe it is time to look for a new NAS that is.