Homekit running thanks to RTSP

Was nest easy to setup? I tried a while back probably a year ago and never got it working quite right.

It wasn’t too hard to get setup and running in home bridge. I do recommend using the newer authentication method (instead of just username/password) but it requires setting up a developer account with Nest Keep in mind you’d have to setup one before August 31, 2019 as they are shutting down the program then and I’m curious to see if existing integrations will still function or be disabled. If you want, I could write up a guide for that too?

Thank you again for all your help, I now have all my cameras up and running via homebridge along with my smartthings setup.

Congrats! Glad you got it all working.

Was 360p/15 the highest quality your MacBook Air could handle? Or did you choose those for another reason?

Yes, it’s an old ~2010 era MacBook Air that I have it running on and that’s the highest quality I can use and get the stream to work almost perfectly. Increasing quality or FPS causes the stream to drop out frequently and only updates a still frame every second or two. I can run it on my newer MacBook Pro ~2016 era at much higher quality.

1 Like

Thanks! Not a lot of hope for my raspberry pi then :slight_smile:

I tried running it on my pi with limited success. It worked but it was very glitchy and kept failing every few minutes. But it worked fine to access the stream via VLC on my Apple TV.

That was my experience as well when I tried about a year ago. Was a little hopeful from your post that maybe some amazing optimization had occurred, but seems like no luck :frowning:

Thanks!

Have either of you tried this plugin instead of the one I’m using? It says it is optimized for Pi’s. No experience with it myself, but just wondered if it might help? https://github.com/legotheboss/homebridge-camera-ffmpeg-omx

1 Like

That looks like it hasn’t been touched in a few years. I tried but it doesn’t look like it still functions.

Ok, sorry about that. Should’ve checked before I sent it. Thought it might be worth a try.

Trying to get this working on my MacOS Mojave rig. homebridge starts up, Camera-ffmpeg reports a snapshot from the Camera (never see an image). From the Home app on iOS, I get a placeholder for the video. When I click it, homebridge says “Start streaming video from Front Door Cam with 640x360x132kBit”, then immediately reports “ERROR: FFmpeg exited with Code 1”. Here’s my config.json:{
“bridge”: {
“name”: “NewHome”,
“username”: “E3:22:3D:E3:CE:30”,
“port”: 51826,
“pin”: “031-45-154”
},
“description”: “Blah, blah, blah.”,
“platforms”: [
{
“platform”: “config”,
“name”: “Config”,
“port”: 8080,
“sudo”: true,
“restart”: “sudo -n systemctl restart homebridge”,
“temp”: “”,
“log”: {
“method”: “systemd”,
“service”: “homebridge”
}
},
{
“platform”: “Camera-ffmpeg”,
“cameras”: [
{
“name”: “Front Door Cam”,
“videoConfig”: {
“source”: “rtsp://xxxxxxx:yyyyy@wyzecamIPaddress/live”,
“maxStreams”: 2,
“maxWidth”: 640,
“maxHeight”: 360,
“maxFPS”: 15
}
},
{
“name”: “Back Door Cam”,
}
},
{
“name”: “Garage Cam”,
}
}
]
}
],
“accessories”:
} . Screenshots:

Any thoughts as to why ffmpeg doesn’t seem to be working? I followed the Reddit guide.

1 Like

Hey! At first glance, my thought is the RTSP source call line in your config.json. It should read:

“source”: “-re -i rtsp://username:password@IP_Address/live”

or

“source”: “-rtsp_transport tcp -re -i rtsp://username:password@IP_Address/live”

Try one or both of those and let me know how it goes. I’ll be glad to help troubleshoot further if that’s not the issue (or not the only issue) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Many thanks for your help! Fixing the source line stopped the error from being thrown, but no video yet. ffmpeg logs a ‘Start streaming video from cam’ message, then immediately stops, with a ‘Stopped streaming message’. No video ever shows in the Home app. I gotta think that it’s something with ffmpeg, but I may be wrong.

If this helps: added “debug”: true to config.json, to be able to get a log of what’s going on. Here’s the results:
ffmpeg log clean for Wyze Cam.pdf (25.6 KB)

So, I can see that it connected to the camera cleanly - ffmpeg is having issues.

Wow, so sorry to abandon you like that. I had my Master’s Thesis due yesterday afternoon so I’ve been a bit preoccupied with that! LOL. Let me take a look at the log and see if I can figure something out. Sorry to leave you hanging!

1 Like

No problem - hope your Thesis went well!

Thank you. It did go well and I passed. :slight_smile: If you don’t mind, would you try adding this line to your config.json and then upload the log again? I can give you my email if you’d rather not upload here, just let me know.

“additionalCommandline”: “-loglevel verbose”

Also, just as a curiosity, do you have your firewall turned on in your Mac’s system preferences?

Did check for firewall - it is off. Here’s the log:
[6:26:2019, 1:23:08 PM] Homebridge is running on p.pdf (25.0 KB)