Home monitoring without subscription?

Pretty sad I have to leave wyze over this issue. Turning off the hardware because we don’t want professional monitoring olis pathetic. This has driven me to set up home assistant. Thanks for the 2 years wyze.

You’re saying we can receive notifications by setting up rules, and others are saying we can’t get notifications without a paid subscription. Does anybody really know? Are people just making up answers? Where are you getting the information that we must set up rules to get notifications?

You can receive notifications from the various sensors (motion, contact, etc.) without any subscription. You can use them for rules. However, the functions that are HMS specific (alarms, HOME, Away, etc.) are not available. You can use door or motion sensors in rules to turn on lights or notify you of motion. But there is no siren (unless you setup a rule for one of the cameras with a siren), NoonLight isn’t alerted nor are the police.

You keep talking about rules however this topic has nothing to do with rules.

No, theres no real way. I love how so many of the Wyze fanatical end-users in this forum try to be so helpful with “work-arounds” to the point of annoyance…but at the end of the day, Wyze does not allow a free option for self-monitored home security. I agree with someone else’s complaint here too, which is they didnt want to HAVE to use professional monitoring. Ironically, Wyze DOES allow you to do “self-monitoring”, they call it “Test mode”…even more ironically though, in order to turn-on Test Mode, you must still pay the same $100 for the professional monitoring subscription lol. I too STILL dont want professional monitoring even though I paid $100. I used Abode home security for many years and happily self-monitored, and only payed for pro services when Id go on vacation or something. When my Above finally failed after many years of use, I wrongfully decided to try Wyze because I was enjoying their video cameras and figured that Id have greater integration with security. With Wyze now, I’ve paid them $100 to activate the home security features, and I just keep it in test mode 100% of the time so far. Wyze wants their money. I get that it costs Wyze money for the infrastructure to allow my hub to phone-home and do alerts via text/push/email/etc…but all of what I just said basically proves that if Wyze wanted to, they could create a self-monitoring service plan option aka “Test Mode” for users at a more reasonable yearly cost, such as $25 a year…its certainly not worth $100 a year for most customers who dont even want to use pro monitoring services. For the users who will say “omg why dont you want pro monitoring?” My answer: Just like I mentioned with my Abode equipment before, I’ll turn-on pro monitoring when I travel, but day to day I work from home, Im armed, and so is my spouse, and I have prior police and military experience…I dont need or want to risk a sensor battery dying or a sensor falling off a door or window because the tape wore out, and having the police come to my house or fine me when its a false-positive and I didnt answer the phone fast enough for whomever is professionally monitoring my security system. Will Wyze take my suggestion into account? No. Wyze keeps proving that they usually don’t care about these types of business model suggestions lol. Add insult to injury, I paid the $100 subscription and it was like pulling teeth to get the 2 months of extra free service that was promised to me via the Amazon product page for this Wyze starter set, when I ordered the Wyze hardware. Also, the Wyze home security notifications dont even work properly when you add home cameras into the security portion of the monitoring, specifically when you try to set a rule to only show camera motion notifications while youre in AWAY mode…so basically whether Im in pro or test mode, and Im at home and have the system set to HOME, all of my interior Wyze cameras send me nonstop push notifcations stating “warning, motion detected”. There’s no way to fix it so far and Ive had a feature request and ticket open for about 2 months now on this hahah…so Ive had to also ironically remove my Wyze cameras completely from the security monitoring portion of the Wyze app…which was the one thing I was originally assuming would give me amazing integration lol. Other than all of that, the security system “works” lol. Am I going to pay $100 again to reward Wyze and keep using it next year? Heck no haha, Wyze has been way too slow to support their product, and my Wyze pro door camera still has an annoying blue ring that lights up every time someone walks by and a super loud chime (within the door camera itself) that you cannot disable, and my HOA basically forced me to take it down lest I keep getting fines due to annoyances from the doorbell cam lol. There’s other threads on this forum about everything I just mentioned. I’ll leave off full-circle with the fact that one or more of those “Wyze fanatics” that I wrote about at the beginning of my message here, will probably try to reply to everything I just wrote, and dismiss everything I I wrote as being wild or unnecessary expectations, then suggest a million “great” work-arounds to my issues and/or find excuses for why my needs dont matter, and therefore its no fault of Wyze haha.

1 Like

I was not suggesting a work around,I was answering a direct question. As to HMS, I fully agree it doesn’t meet the need for self-monitoring, and I wouldn’t and don’t pay for a subscription just to run in test mode…a very foolish idea in my mind. I am no longer using Wyze sensors, I’ve switched to YoLink. They at least have long range sensors, siren/alarms and other things that really do allow for a more self-monitored mode.

And as to @jd_bugman saying no one mentioned rules, you did in your question pointed to me:

1 Like

Correct wildBill, I did mention ‘rules’, and it was in the form of a question: “Where are you getting the information that we must set up rules to get notifications?” And you are unable to answer this question. You simply don’t know & it’s unhelpful to even leave a comment.

Perhaps I should have more correctly stated that you can get alerts from any sensor by turning on the alert function for that sensor. You can use rules to turn alerts on and off based upon time of day, location services, other device triggers.

I never said I didn’t know…your statement is inaccurate. And for the record, I used the HMS system with and without a subscription and found it to be uninspiring at best and useless as a monitoring system without one. The alerts are fine if that’s all you want. You might be able to turn on a siren if you plug one into a Wyze plug, but it is NOT a security system in any sense without a subscription.

1 Like

Just wanted to point out a distinction to using the V2 Hub and V2 Sensors “Without a Subscription”.

Using the Hub and Sensors upon initial install without a subscription and using Hub and Sensors after having already activated, and then cancelling, a subscription, will result in two distinctly different behaviors from the Hub and Sensors.

The V2 Sensors have their own individual notification settings that operate outside of any HMS settings. Those are able to be accessed regardless of any HMS Subscription status. They can also be used as triggers for rules.

Installing the Hub and Sensors without a HMS subscription will not allow access to any Home Monitoring functions. It will be quite useless as a self monitored security system.

Keeping the Hub and Sensors Active after having cancelled an activated subscription however, will retain the monitoring schedules, keypad PIN, and Arming States. However there is no way to manipulate the arming states or disable an alarm in the app, only the keypad. It will also not send HMS Notifications or alert Noonlight Monitoring. A major drawback here is that if something does go wrong, you cannot access any HMS settings in the app to try an fix it.

1 Like

Now that’s some useful info. I decided to purchase the $10 month subscription but unfortunately it wants me to go through a 40 minute setup process as if it forgot everything about my system. I hit away on the keypad and opened some doors and no notifications. Still all I get is a Ding from The hub, When I get home I’ll go through the setup and see if it works.

1 Like

Once you go thru the setup, it should give you access to the Monitoring Tab where you can use the Home Monitoring Settings to configure your Home and Away list of On Duty sensors as well as notification settings for an alarm response, which sensors produce a chime, and other monitoring configurations.

Without a subscription, all settings and functions found within the Monitoring Tab cease to exist.

1 Like

Okay people, something weird just happened with my notifications. I just posted a review on Amazon regarding the Wyze notifications debacle. I based my review on the fact wyze failed to troubleshoot notification issues. Keep in mind I am PAYING for Home Monitoring, which comes with Cam Plus for one of my cameras, to try to get the camera notifications working but that failed to get ANY & ALL notifications going, even on my sensors! Anyways after posting my review I immediately went to wyze.com to check the home monitoring prices. Before it let me log in with my username and password, the website first required me (as it always has) to confirm a code that they sent to my phone. After verifying the code I was finally logged in and IMMEDIATELY started getting notifications every time my camera saw a vehicle drive by.

I’ve logged into my wyze.com account multiple times through this notification debacle so I’m very curious how and why I’m suddenly getting notifications. I also downloaded the app to another phone to see if that would give notifications and that didn’t help. I was certain nothing would ever give me notifications again.

It’s a mystery what got things working. I haven’t done any updates for a couple weeks and I haven’t wasted any more time with tech support.

I was striving to replace my self security Nest Secure with Wyze.
But thankfully I looked on this forum and see that no, you MUST have a subscription just to use the features of away/home/off, and the alarm? Features the products physically have in the area and features that could entirely not even need a subscription to enable and use.

It’s not fair to NEED a subscription to set up the home security system, and then once you cancel your subscription, the app can’t even help you set anything new up or even toggle the security state until you restart the subscription.

I thought the subscription was to be just for including a third party to verify your alarm, try to contact you, and/or contact officials for you.

Sorry, will try to find another product. I don’t necessarily need a third party to ‘check’ if my alarm is real or not. I just want something to thwart people entering if I set my house as away and to send me a ding on my phone to check my cameras myself.

I’m still dumbfounded that it’s not allowed to have more than one home security unit on the same account similar to how Nest has done in the past. You can be in as much as I believe 5 separate houses, all with the devices all houses can have.

1 Like

Went with a Roku system, box explicitly says self monitoring is an option.

Why couldn’t wyze?!!?

Just found this out the hard way. Luckily I still have my Abode gateway and all the old sensors. The Wyze security hub is manufactured garbage. The fact you can’t use even the basic functions without a subscription is ridiculous. I’ll never buy another Wyze product again.

1 Like

I had been using a HACS Wyze integration in Home Assistant, its crazy how closed they are to integrations and such.

I originally was using Abode, which has native HA support and Home kit, I moved to Wyze when their security hub went up for preorder as I had been using Wyze cams and figured why not. Their system was fresh, modern, cheap, and had a lot of sensors to choose from.

Just finished setting my old abode system back up today. Even after two years it still works perfectly fine offline and within 2 minutes was fully integrated into my HA server.

Wyze Secure gets a solid 0/10 and a stay-away-at-all-costs recommendation from me to anyone. I can’t in good faith recommend a product that doesn’t even have basic functionality without a subscription service.

1 Like

That was two and a half years ago. Have you been subscribing to Monitoring this whole time? Did you cancel your subscription? Or did you just now set it up?

I have been subscribed for 2 years.
Their security system is nothing but a joke. Here is my story, I went on holiday and armed my home with Wyze.
I have about 30 cameras, montion detectors and door status sensors.
I have a UPS for my modem and wyze hub. But do you know what failed while i was away?! The hub itself! And they even didn’t bother to send a note to let me know the hub failed. Anyways that cost me a stolen BBQ thanks to wyze.
I have no more faith in WYZE as someone who used their product for 6 years now. Form the time that they were just a smal company.
after research i found out that their hub failing often. Theri security system is easy to penetrate, they had the bad handling of customer data (their famous data breech in 2022).

I have their entire echosystem on ebay for sale and is not selling. I would never recommend WYZE specially their home monitoring which is the worst product ever.

I bought a 5 piece starter kit just to get the hub because it was on back order. I only want to use the leak sensors and remotely monitor the temperature of a vacation home.

Am I sol?
Anybody know if I can use my climate sensors and leak sensors with the Roku hub? The Roku stuff looks like the same hardware, but I don’t know if it is compatible.

Not the same at all and completely incompatible.

1 Like