Did Cam v4 quietly get a new floating Live Stream (picture-in-picture) feature?

I saw that. I’m continuing the discussion here rather than keeping that other topic on an unrelated tangent.

It’s not listed on the Release Notes & Firmware page, at least not that I see.

There’s definitely a UI difference between the Android and iOS experiences then. Where you have an upper-left :heavy_multiplication_x:, I see a :gear:. Where you have the upper-right minimize/float icon, I see the :heavy_multiplication_x:. If I tap the floating viewer window to make those icons visible, then I also get an “expand” icon in the center of the floating window and a muted speaker icon below that.

The behavior isn’t entirely consistent between the different app versions. This is what I see in the v2.5x app:

• If I tap the :gear: on the floating Live Stream window, then that opens the Android setting to Allow picture-in-picture (already enabled).
  • If I tap the :heavy_multiplication_x:, then the viewer just closes.
  • If I tap the speaker icon, then it changes from muted to unmuted, and then can hear the camera’s audio.
  • If I tap the “expand” icon, then it’s like being right back on the regular Live Stream screen for that camera, and the app behaves as expected.

This is what I see in the v3.0 app:

• If I tap the :gear: on the floating Live Stream window, then that opens the Android setting to Allow picture-in-picture (already enabled). :white_check_mark:
  • If I tap the :heavy_multiplication_x:, then the viewer just closes. :white_check_mark:
  • If I tap the speaker icon, then it changes from muted to unmuted, and then can hear the camera’s audio. :white_check_mark:
  • If I tap the “expand” icon, then it’s like being right back on the regular Live Stream screen for that camera, but any attempt to back out of that screen automatically minimizes the entire Wyze app (no more floating viewer). :negative_squared_cross_mark:

The v3.0 app does seem to be getting into regular Live Stream faster, so I can get to this feature faster (compared to v2.5x, at least so far today), but that last point is not the behavior I would expect as a user, so that feels buggy to me, kind of like what @carverofchoice described elsewhere:

Incidentally, the setting that would be necessary to enable this feature on my tablet (Settings ➜ Apps ➜ Special app access ➜ Picture-in-picture) doesn’t exist, so I imagine it’s not even present in Android Go, which would make sense, because that’s a “lighter” variant of Android intended for use on lower-end hardware.

1 Like