DC battery power supply

Jason has a good idea about using a heavier duty solar panel regulator, but I would suggest getting an MPPT regulator instead of a standard pwm type. The PWM regulators don’t start putting out voltage until the solar panel generates about 12v or higher. Whereas, the MPPT controllers will start putting out charging current even when the solar panel is only putting out about 8 volts. So, you get more charge time per day. Just be sure that whatever regulator you choose is compatible with the type of battery you use. The spec sheets will tell you. Some are intended for only lead acid batteries because they can put out high enough voltages to damage gel cells or lithium cells. You need fairly good regulation at 12v to 13v output to the battery.

So I’m trying to create a live trail cam using solar panel, the charge controller, a wifi hotspot, and a v3 cam. I purchased this solar panel:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/wildgame-innovations-12v-monocrystalline-solar-panel

And the charge controller that Jason suggested. I’m doing a dry run currently with just the camera. I’m hoping this panel is enough to keep the battery charged and the cam running. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

You say ‘idle’ but then you say with ‘continuous recording on’ which is not idle, which is it?

I leave my cameras turned off and just turn them on when I need them because I am off grid but had noticed the cameras get pretty hot even when turned off which has sent me on a search to find out how much they draw when TURNED OFF?

Will a 25 watt solar panel hooked to a 12v-7ah battery work? I should have it hooked up tomorrow, hooked to a v3.

Try it and let us know.

I got it up and running at 4pm yesterday, it hasn’t had any sunlight as of 8:38 today, and it’s set to continuously record, and it’s still going.

Is the battery maintaining or draining?