Climate sensor V2 went from 123⁰ to -123⁰

I put a climate sensor V2 in my attic to keep an eye on my humidity since we recently had our house repiped due to pinhole leaks. The other day I get a text from the monitoring service saying that they detected freezing temperatures and wanted to know if I needed help. Keep in mind this is July in California. We don’t have freezing temperatures this time of the year. I replied, it’s over 100° outside, I’m not sure why you would detect any sensor reading freezing temperatures. I said I will check all my sensors, because obviously one must be malfunctioning. I opened the Wyze app and discovered the sensor that I had put up in my attic was reading -123°. I looked back on the graph and saw that it went from 123° then dropped down to a negative 123°. I removed the sensor from my monitoring settings on the app, so that this would not cause another false alarm, but left it up in the attic just see if it would happen again, It did happen again, Everytime the temperature reached 123° then it drops to negative 123°. Any suggestions??

3 Likes

I am not sure how much can be done. I’m showing the Wyze says the Operation Temperature range is only: 32°F—104°F (0°C—40°C), so anything outside of that range will be considered improper use for the regular insulated indoor use design.

That is really interesting that when it reaches maximum high temperature it automatically reverts back to the bottom of the scale instead of just staying up at 126F.

Still, we can at least let some people at Wyze know that this is causing HMS hazard remediation freezing false alerts. Maybe they can program something into the sensors or add a new limitation that doesn’t allow it to go beyond 125F or some kind of better boundary limits. If it is reasonably easy to fix that with the firmware update then I would expect they would be willing to do so since this is a subscription-related concern. But I am not totally sure how easy or feasible it is to fix with a firmware update.

2 Likes

@Haz
I am sorry this happened and have forwarded the information on to the team to see if we can find a solution. Could you submit a log for the sensor that did this and let me know the log number?

3 Likes

Sure i will do that now as it is currently showing -128⁰ lol boy that’s really cold lol

1 Like

I have never submitted a log before, should i just type in the issue or will the log show the issue and by the way it just changed to 126⁰ at least it’s not freezing anymore lol. The graph shows it is all over the place. Thank you for your help with this. I wasn’t even going to say anything about it, i figured the attic was to hot for it. I didn’t even realize there was s temp minimum or maximum that it could be used at. But figured i may as well report it since i didn’t see it posted by anyone else. Hope it turns out to be helpful to Wyze as i am a big fan, it’s not perfect but what technology ever is?

Log number 1109742

2 Likes

I have checked with the team on this and this behavior is expected when the sensor temp goes out of range, but they are going to look at improvements they can make to help with the user experience.

3 Likes

I have seen the same experience and would love to see this fixed. Going out of range of supported temps is understandable but it should just report the max or min temp and not switch from over 100F to -100F. @WyzeJasonJ who is the PM for the climate sensors? I also wonder if a Wishlist item for a climate probe would be an additional but related item. The temp range should be a firmware fix.

The Climate Sensor units actually report temperatures well in excess of stated upper/lower limits. Unfortunately, the app does not interpret and correctly display the sensor values beyond the app defined limits. The upper limit per the Wyze app is 128F. Above that limit, the reported temp is flipped negative. For example, 129F is reported as -127F (-128 +1), 130F is reported as -126F, etc. The graph is appropriately whacko with these readings:

And worse, because temp is a factor in the relative humidity algorithm, humidity is completely whacked when temp exceeds 128F:

The same issues hold true for the app’s lower limit.

I’m not sure, but the latest beta app may now have the display of the upper limit capped at 127F. I.e., any value above 127F may be displayed as 127F. I’ll keep an eye on this to confirm, but forecasted ambient temps may not support my test scenarios until next week (don’t have time to simulate with a heat gun).

4 Likes

Following up with screenshots from my attic passing the limit and switching to negative.

4 Likes

If it helps, submitted an additional dev log from beta Wyze app for Android version 2.44.0.b317:

Log ID: 1126252

1 Like