Beta Testing for Wyze Cam v3 RTSP Firmware Now Available!

I managed to get Blue Iris to recognize my V3 camera. I set it for http:// (not rtsp), and the settings for Wyze V2. Have to edit the port from 9554 to 554. Not sure why that goes wrong. It helped to first check that VLC can see the camera, which works using the instructions provided in the rtsp in the app:

rtsp://username:password@192.168.1.xyz/live

Once I saw that VLC could see the camera, it was just a matter of finding the right settings within BlueIris, which weren’t obvious at all.

1 Like

Yes. I used the v2 setup (http rather than rtsp) and changed the port from 9554 to 554. That made it work.

Shortly after I posted my question last night, someone else posted a note that they had to regenerate the rtsp url one time and then it worked. I found that to be the case as well. Working fine with BlueIris using the same settings as my V2 cameras.

So while RTSP is working Blue Iris isn’t able to keep a solid connection. It drops every 3 minutes or so. Yes it does reconnect but that causes problems with security.

If you enable UDP/RDP mode it seems to work solidly but for me the CPU usages goes up 15-20% per camera.

Would wyze be willing to try the free evaluation version and see what is happening? Perhaps it is timing out because blue iris isn’t sending the correct keep alive packet?

This would be greatly appreciated.

Another nice to have would be to support two streams, one for HD and one for SD. This allows camera systems to save on space and detection while not overloading it.

Thank you.

For me the V2 setup defaults to 8554. Can you share a screenshot?

Do you find the camera disconnects every few minutes ?

Have had one v3 cam running solidly on Synology Surveillance Station for 24 hours now…added a couple more v3’s several hours ago - all systems nominal…yay!

2 Likes

It’s not working for me… is the installation any different than V2?
After installing, I don’t see the option for RTSP under Advanced.

1 Like

oh… that’s why it’s not working for me… the file is already named that, so no need to rename it after unzipping… I wish they had included that on the instructions.

1 Like

SDCard formatting matters… I tried many times last night to upgrade the FW without getting it into flashing mode. It finally dawned on me that the card I was using was formatted as extFAT.

I just reformatted the card as FAT32, put the beta image on it and finally got the purple light!

1 Like

teredactle were you able to get it working in BI?
I tried regenerating the rtsp on the camera, disabling audio in BI and added the camera to BI from scratch. It seems to be working ok now, although the camera does drop out every few minutes (edit-since I typed this, it hasn’t dropped out while I was watching) for around 5-10 seconds. My v2 camera has always dropped out regularly as well, but the v3 camera does it more frequently.
I’m running BI 4.8.6.3 x64, and have included screenshots with my settings.

Im trying this out in iSpy… it looks ok, but the video is not smooth. I’ve tried changing the fps to 20 which is the max, but it still kind of choppy compared to the feed on TinyCam Pro.

Update your app; seems this firmware isn’t supported before a certain app version, which I have no idea what it is, Wyze has not said.
I had the same issue, and updated to the latest version, then the RTSP option appeared on the camera I put the Beta FW on.

i haven’t had any more time yet to devote to this unfortunately. For me nothing has worked so far in my version of BI5, regardless of TCP/UDP.
-I did read (in the main thread) that disabling the audio would fix the issue, but that is not a fix if you don’t get audio really… have not had the chance to test this.

It worked for me on BI…but I will keep using TinyCam Pro in Bluestacks as it runs well and it’s free.
Well, TinyCam is free…TinyCam Pro is not…but the free version is the same minus the web server.

To make it work in Blue Iris I followed this…

That’s interesting that you point out that reference. I looked at is and the screen captures do not match the text description, and options that are explained are not allowed (once you set RTSP as the protocol, you can’t set the manufacturer of the camera).

Well, I made it work in Blue Iris 5.5.1.2, but it wasn’t exactly easy or intuitive, nor is it fully functional. Maybe some of you guys can offer some advice.

To start, unknown to me, the V3 requires that the SD card be formatted FAT32, so my first attempt to update the firmware failed without any obvious reason. Once I discovered that limitation, it took me a while to find a card that was small enough for Windows to format FAT32.

After that, the update went more or less as described, although I never saw the blue/yellow LED, so I repeated the attempt several times before finally assuming that the flashing red status was a good thing.

I found the app setup to be less than intuitive,…I’m not sure if I’m just not seeing it, or if it actually doesn’t have most of the functionality that I am accustomed to seeing in an IP camera interface.

Putting the interface issues aside for the moment, I then tried to use the generated URL in Blue Iris, and that didn’t work at all. I found some unofficial guides, but they were for the V2 and older versions of Blue Iris, so it was an exercise in trying to interpolate. In the end, I wound up doing it similar to the article linked by macster2075, although that caused Blue Iris to become unresponsive and eventually the BI service crashed, which I have never experienced before in my entire history with Blue Iris.

I was able to make Blue Iris stable again only by un-plugging the V3. Remembering that someone had mentioned the need to disable the audio, I changed that setting, powered the V3 back up, and it worked, albeit without audio. Has anyone figured out how to make the audio work yet?

I had the idea that perhaps there were some audio settings within the V3/app interface, but found that I could no longer connect via the mobile app. Is that how it should be? Does the RTSP firmware kill the ability to connect via the mobile app? I tried pointing a web browser at the camera IP, but it timed out, so apparently there is no embedded we server. Is there no way to administer the camera after the RTSP upgrade? For example, if one wanted to turn off the status light, how would one do that?

I deleted the non-functional camera object in the mobile app and then tried to create a new one, but found that pressing the setup button on the camera no longer invoked the setup sequence.

So I have decent-looking video in Blue Iris, but no audio and no way to access the camera setup interface. I’d appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Here are three screen captures showing one of my V3 cameras as set up in BlueIris version 5.5.0.15

1 Like

Do you have audio enabled on the audio tab?

right… I was having the same issue… you have to select http… just follow the instructions on that site.