Wyze Switch - Smart light switch

You have a smart switch in conjunction with Smart Bulbs? Is there any downside to that? Would it cause any issues? Or is there even a need for it if you have smart switches

1 Like

No, I don’t use the Smart switches with my Wyze bulbs not necessary. I used the switches on regular LED bulbs to control them like the Wyze bulbs. Not sure how the Wyze bulbs would react with a Smart switch.

1 Like

Can you guys look into making something like the lutron aurora smart bulb dimmer.

http://www.lutron.com/en-us/products/pages/standalonecontrols/dimmers-switches/smartbulbdimmer/overview.aspx

4 Likes

A wifi wall switch to toggle lights on and off without having to worry about leaving the switch in the off position which would leave your wifi bulbs useless. The bulbs are great but the only way to control them is voice and the app, both of which can be more tedious than a wall switch when entering or leaving a room.

7 Likes

Bestbuy just cancelled insignia connect. So, now I need to replace my insignia smart switches. Are smart switches actually on the roadmap, or should I go ahead and buy kasa tp link switches?

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the community @tommyarnold424

Currently as you can see above they are labeled as ‘maybe-later’, this basically means they have not ruled it out but are not currently working on it. When the process starts it would change to researching or moved to the roadmap section

3 Likes

Ok, I was reading in the roadmap section and it seemed like sometimes they could be working on something without giving a status update, so I just wanted to confirm. Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

I have several insignia smart plugs. Luckily Wyze now makes them. Best Buy better compensate enough to replace with Wyze. But this is worrisome. If a company as big as Best Buy stops support, then any manufacturer can…then smart devices will be useless.

1 Like

I had the same problem with Lowe’s Iris system, had quite a bit invested, luckily they compensated full cost for anything that would stop working when they took down the servers, the other items like contact sensors would work woth other hubs. They also allowed you to keep all the items they compensated for and I was able to get them working in SmartThings. Long story short there is that chance anytime you are dependent on an external server.

1 Like

A smart switch could easily be created. It would just be a slightly different form factor of the smart plug essentially. You have your power in and power out areas, a physical control to change state of operation, and the WiFi connection to be able to change state of operation remotely.

4 Likes

My guess is that a switch would require some form of “installation” vs everything else they have where it’s all plug and play.

Which begs the question… Which of the makers in here will be the first to disassemble the wyze plug and make their own switch?

2 Likes

Would love a wall switch. Both in the single pole, and double pole (three-way switch) varieties. I have 4 foot LEDs in my kitchen and can’t control them with a plug. Some other fixtures use the small candelabra style bulbs which aren’t controllable via WiFi. Plus those fixtures have between 4 and 12 bulbs in them. Wall switches would solve this issue and I would like to eventually settle on a single device provider.

3 Likes

The constant switch-flipping at my house, both from kids and the wife, necessitate a smart switch. I’m currently looking at these Lumary ones since I need dimming and this mechanism seems like the best solution for it. Wyze could slap their logo on this and I’d buy it from them at this price point, really: https://www.amazon.com/L-DS100-Control-Compatible-Assistant-required/dp/B07RBQX7BR

How about push button switch that you can press to toggle a shortcut in the app,

I just noticed this has changed to researching. :+1:

12 Likes

Yes! This!!!

2 Likes

I’m thrilled this has changed to researching! It seems as though if WYZE wants to be a disruptor in the smart home industry, this product would have been planned a long time ago. It has way more votes than either the smart door lock or the smart thermostat that have already made it onto the roadmap… Hopefully this will be added to the roadmap soon!

6 Likes

I have a couple of WiFi wall switches that don’t dim but it’s really nice to be able to hit than say “Alexa turn on the kitchen lights” and have her say many times things like “I don’t have a kittens light”!
I’m thinking that Wyze do a wall switch that doesn’t switch any current but simply signals Wyze to turn on the bulbs. Maybe a slider for the degrees K.
This thing would be so cool because it could be a Wyze Sense thing and run off a battery (like the Switches and Motion detectors) and be so thin I could put it anywhere, not just in a wall box! Make the Wyze app tell it what Wyze lights to control.
Forget trying to tie into the 120V mains and meeting all the regulations like UL and CSA, just make it smart.

A standard 2 pole switch, a 3 way switch and a dimmer.
Could also add a fan/light combo to that.

2 Likes

Dude, I’m there with you on the term WAF - it has been around forever and some people think I made that up when I use that term. But if my Wife, Mother, Grandmother, Auntie or anyone with that special elevation in the family can’t use the new device without lessons or support - its toast, I’m toast, and I’m the only one who gets blamed. Imagine if you painted the house a color that doesn’t get the WAF seal of approval!

Wall mounted light switches by Wyze makes so much sense and it fits well in the portfolio of items. I could then control 4 - 100 watt equivalence of LEDs lamps in various shapes: A-19, PARS, tubes, flat panels, black light, IR lamps, flame tips, the list goes on and on without having to worry if someone touched the wall switch and defunct the WiFi enabled 60 watt equivalent light works or not.

My experience with IFTTT is its slow, breaks, and adds complexity, compared to the Wyze application. I think in time the Wyze app will expand its functionality, robustness and add resiliency because of the good Wyze team and the loyal supporters providing great input and experience.

A three-way light switch is a great idea!

1 Like