What Micro SD Cards Do You Have Working in Your Wyze Cam?

I’ve yet to find one that doesn’t work in them. My largest being a 128GB Samsung EVO Plus formatted in Exfat on a windows 7 PC. But mostly I use SanDisk UHS-1 32GB straight out of the packet. Mostly because they’re cheap and work seamlessly thus far. 2 for 11.47 Prime

And unlike the pic, mine have all come with a standard SD card adapter.

I’ve been rockn an onn. 256GB Class 10 U3 V30 microSDXC Flash Memory Card, up to 100MB/s read speed.

I accidently stumbled on the Onn Brand sd card while shopping at Walmart and have been using this Onn Brand in my two Wyse cam v2’s. Its now going on 8 months and they’re working out great for me.

1 Like

@OverWatch the EVOs are good, but Samsung has SD cards just for CCTV. I use the Pro Endurance cards and they have been flawless.

1 Like

I use these, too!

I am using 128gb samsung sdcard formatted through the wyze app. Its been a month now and working fine so far. I am using motion recording. Time will tell how this non endurance card holds up for motion. Tbh I probably should of got a 64gb high endurance samsung card for the same price. I think the 128gb is overkill for motion.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWZWYVP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’m using a Kingston Canvas (128GB microSDHC Class 10 microSD Memory Card UHS-I 80MB/s R) in my Pan Cam. I’ve mounted the camera outside under a good dormer overhang (never gets wet there). I live in Canada and it’s been through some minus Celsius temps - not a problem at all so far (3 weeks).

The new 2020 Definitive Guide to SD Cards:
Mar 1, 2020 13:25

2 Likes

Is the camera able to use “all” of the storage space? The specs always set SD card capacity limits. I was wondering if using a larger than recommended card made a difference?

It depends on what you mean by “all”, but yes it uses all the card with a larger SD. “All” being all available space and double the card gets you double the recording time, etc…

1 Like

Thank you for the info. Some devices cap the storage via the firmware. I wasn’t sure if that was the case here.

1 Like

Follow up video Benchmarking

Top SBC Micro SD Card (Group Benchmark)

Mar 22, 2020 14:55

1 Like

What’s the link for that? Couldn’t find it. And I have 5 Cameras I purchased through a department store here in Chile that won’t record to my SD Cards.

Welcome to the Wyze community Camila. If you have Wyze v2 cams, you can check to see if they are affected here:

Wyze Cam v2 Replacement Eligibility Check (R65 Resistor Component Issue)

1 Like

Hello, I’m new here. I read on Wyze you can only use SD cards up to 32GB. Obviously we can use larger sizes. Is there anything special I need to do once I insert the micro SD card? I read in some posts here to format them FAT32? What does that mean?

Here is a good overview :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, should this be done before using a card initially?

Yes, I do it whenever I put a new card in a cam just to be sure they are happily communicating with each other. :slight_smile:

Yes, many people are using much larger cards for recording video with success. It’s just not “officially supported” by Wyze, so you are more on your own.

But if you ever have to manually update the camera firmware, that will have to be a 32GB or smaller microSD card. This would only be if the online firmware updating process did not go well for some reason.

As far as brand, I have used several inexpensive brands of microSD cards (that still met the speed specs) with great success. But some have given problems over time.

So now I put in these “high endurance” cards specifically designed for dash cams and repeated video recording.

https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-Endurance-64GB-Micro-Adapter/dp/B07B98GXQT?th=1

https://smile.amazon.com/SanDisk-Endurance-microSDXC-Adapter-Monitoring/dp/B07P14QHB7/

2 Likes

My own experience with class 10 or better is this;
All cards that worked in my Wyze cams when first installed, kept on working.
The longest installed card is over one year old in an outside camera.
I have several brands Whether or not they work comes to formatting.
I first discovered this when Windws 10 didn’t see my new Samsung 32GB cards.
After poking around I found SD cards prefer to be formatted with “exFat”.
That solved some Wyze problems, but did not solve my Windows 10 problem.
After further digging I found the SD Card Association and downloaded their recommended SD card formatter. I used this on all of my SD cards.
Voila! Windows said "I can see! I can see!) And I lived happily ever after! (so far)

1 Like