Thermostat fan delay function

Thanks for the clarification. That’s good, I only use auto fan mode.

Seems beta firmware 1.1.7 has the fan activation delay with a ‘By furnace’ option. Can’t confirm if it works as I just switched to cooling here in Dallas.

Thanks for the update. Good to hear. I just installed mine this weekend and used other/radiator. BTW, what exactly does the “Fan Cycle” do? I know roughly what it means but I would like clarification if possible.

Awesome! We will have to check it out.

Mattbta
I am here in the Dallas area as well and have 3 Wyze Thermostats. A few small issues, but for the most part, I am very happy. Look forward to 1.1.7 but did not have major fan problems as many of them are referring to.

Fan Cycle as I understand it. On nice days here in the Midwest it warms up in the afternoon. I want to spread that heat around without actually running the furnace or the fan all the time. I set up my fan cycle duration for 20 minutes. I believe that for 20 minutes each hour the fan will turn on and move my air around hopefully keeping my house more balanced without actually running AC or heat.

Thanks for the reply. My house temp. is in between my heat and air setting so no need for either. And as far as I know, my fan hasn’t came on, unless I didn’t notice it. I’ll have to pay more attention. Here in the Midwest, I literally can go from heat at night/early morning to AC in the afternoon.

I have an older house that probably isn’t sealed very good and it seems like in the middle of hot summer nights, it gets kind of humid inside since the AC is not coming on. To deal with this, I usually drop the temp for the AC to come on at night. I always wanted a setting that either worked off humidity or turns on the AC for X amount of time per hour even if there wasn’t a call for it. I’m sure though, I’m probably in the minority.

This corrects a serious bug. The Fan Activation Delay option to “simply let the furnace decide for you” should have been the default when this thermostat first arrived 6 months ago. All thermostats work this way and this is the option everyone should choose. The only reason to change this setting is if you want to turn the fan on earlier than what the furnace wants to do. Otherwise, always let the furnace decide, because the furnace was designed to operate in a certain way.
Remember that even if you setup the thermostat with a fan delay, if the furnace wants to turn on the fan immediately with a call for heat, the thermostat’s fan-delay setting will be ignored. Or if you setup a 60 second delay, but the furnace wants to turn on the fan in 30 seconds, it will turn on in 30 seconds.
I suppose that if the furnace’s delay timer or internal thermostat is broken, the Wyze’s delay function would be a good fix for that, but otherwise, I do not see why one would want to override the furnace’s setting.

I don’t do the beta thing…what’s the typical turnaround for them to get these into production firmware?

Just got the official update. Needed a firmware update too, which I expected. There’s now a new choice under Advanced Settings: Fan Activation Delay. Default is: By furnace. Nice to have the other delay choices too, I suppose. I do notice that there is no ZERO delay, which is the way it worked up until now!
Time to hook the fan wire back up and try it out. This will be a major fix, without having to resort to workarounds. Please post your results!

I started this thread on Dec 21st and it may have taken a bit longer than we wanted but I’m so happy that Wyze does listen and this has become a feature. Also, with everything else they have added this thermostat is becoming pretty great!

I have an iPhone and took both the app update as well as the thermostat firmware update. I then deleted the thermostat from the app and did a reset to factory settings from the thermostat. I selected LP and Forced Air Furnace during setup. I do no have delay option in the advanced settings. Nor do I have a cycle setting any longer for the fan. Just auto and on. I did set the cycle for 15 minutes in advanced. I assume whenever the fan is on auto you get cycle. Not sure why I don’t see the delay.

Which firmware and app version has the fan delay options in the advance settings? I have firmware 1.17 and in “Advance” I still don’t have Fan delay settings. My furnace is Oil Heat forced air with no AC. My App version is IOS 2.20.142. Under Advance, I have:
System Test
Coast to Cool
Safety Temp
Fan Cycle
Differential Temp
Temp Correction
Humidity Correction
Temperature Units

It should be it between safety temp and fan cycle. I have both firmware you do and I have it.

Very strange, I don’t have it. I wonder if it’s something to do with furnace type in setup and maybe I did something weird during setup?

It’s very possible. The app shows and hides options based on your system setup. You may want to delete and add your thermostat again.

I’m away from home until tomorrow, so maybe I’ll try removing and resetting up when I get home. Weird though since I obviously have it set up as forced air since I have, and do use the fan cycle feature. And I know I have it set up as heat only.

I think they treat different fuel types differently. An electric forced air furnace might need the blower immediately, where a gas furnace is better not running it right away, but leaving the furnace to control when the blower turns on. Perhaps Wyze is not doing the right thing with oil furnaces? I have a gas furnace and the option is present.

I deleted the device and set it back up from scratch. Write down your settings, especially your custom schedules, before you delete. I have an electric furnace, but I set mine for natural gas to make sure I have the fan delay options. The default is BY FURNACE, which seems to be working properly now. Remember, even if you set the thermostat’s fan delay to a minute, the furnace’s fan control will override that setting and turn it on much sooner, or even immediately, because it’s the furnace that decides when to turn the fan on. Are there even furnaces out there that actually give control of the fan delay to the thermostat? I somewhat doubt it, since that would be a safety issue by relying on the thermostat to turn the fan on.

I took two screenshots before I delete the furnace. I capture the details of the schedule and the preferred temperatures for the three modes (home, away, sleep).