Portable power?

Maybe not this one particularly but couldn’t something like this work? There are others that have a roll out attached solar panel.

Hobest Solar Charger 10000mAh,Waterproof Outdoor Solar Power Bank with LED Flashlight,Dual USB Portable Charger Solar for Smartphones,GoPro Camera,GPS and Emergency Travel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N1BZNZY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qobBDbFV70EGH

Solar Charger,Soxono Qi Wireless Portable Power Bank 20000mah with 3 Solar Panels Flashlight Dual 5V/2.1A USB Ports Waterproof External Battery Pack Compatible with Smartphones, Tablets, etc Amazon.com

In general the power banks with attached solar panels do not charge very quickly via solar. For the first one you linked to the seller states it charges at max 120mA, so even during full sun it would be losing charge to a Wyze Cam drawing 400mA.

The second one purports to charge at up to 2A, but in reality that will be much lower with a fixed location and angle. It may allow the power pack to last multiple days, but eventually the constant power draw of the camera will overtake the short bursts of power provided by solar during the day.

If you want to try it and report back it would be an interesting experiment to see how long it lasts. I’m always playing with off the shelf equipment to see how it compares with custom built systems, but I haven’t tested a fold out solar charger yet :thinking:. The key with a truly standalone solar system is to have enough battery capacity to last through several dark days, while having the solar capacity to fully recharge that battery in a single day once the sun comes out again.

2 Likes