Person Detection Update: A New Experiment for Premium Features

Told him to call me and I’ll send him clips from 2 weeks ago with this problem. I’ve had 2-3 a day for about 6 months. I moved on, telling myself that someday, near or far, they will find the solution.

I understand the frustration on everyone’s part. The confusion has caused nothing but an agitated user base.

Because I was being accused of being a cheapskate, I took a look at the current schedule of fees charged by Amazons Rekognition servers.

The fees are actually lower than I recalled. This is also non-contractual and they certainly don’t reflect a 103M user base volume, but here you go:

Amazon Rekognition Video Pricing

With Amazon Rekognition Video, there are two types of costs.

Video Analysis: Amazon Rekognition Video charges you for video analysis performed using our APIs. When running multiple API calls against the same section of video, you will get charged separately for each API. Amazon Rekognition can analyze videos stored in Amazon S3 or live streaming video from Kinesis Video Streams.

Face Metadata Storage: To enable face search, you will need to store a repository of face metadata against which Amazon Rekognition can search for matches. Storage charges are applied monthly, and are pro-rated for partial months.

Pricing table

Stored Video Analysis

Region:

• US East (Ohio)
Feature Pricing
Label Detection $0.10/min
Content Moderation $0.10/min
Text Detection $0.10/min
Face Detection $0.10/min
Celebrity Recognition $0.10/min
Face Search $0.10/min
Person Pathing $0.10/min

Media Analysis

Feature Pricing
Shot Detection $0.05/min
Black Frames, End Credits, Color Bars (‘Technical Cues’) Detection $0.05/min

Live Stream Video Analysis

Feature Pricing
Face Search $0.12/min

Usage charges are applied monthly and are pro-rated for partial minutes.

Face Metadata Storage $0.00001/face metadata per month**
**Storage charges are applied monthly and are pro-rated for partial months
2 Likes

The contributions to failure come from many varied sources

So, Live Stream Face Search pricing is $0.12/min

If a cam is recording 24/7, then that would be 24hrs X 60min in each hour = 1440 minutes per day X $0.12 per minute of Live Stream Video Analysis for Face search (detecting a person) = $172.80 per day to detect for a person 24/7. Not counting the cloud storage costs themselves, just the detection.

Wyze charges CamPlus $2/mo, which is about $0.06-$0.07 per day (or $15/yr = $0.04/day)… Hmm…$0.07/day vs $172.80/day to do live stream detection of persons 24/7 for ONE CAM (let alone an entire account).

Still, cam plus is the only service that could record 24/7…but here we’re talking about just PD. So all those cams are limited to 12 seconds every 5 minutes, so 1440 / 5 = 288 maximum events X 12 seconds long = 3456 seconds / 60 = 57.60 minutes of events maximum per cam for this name your price PD service. 57.60 X $0.12 = $6.91 maximum cost per cam per month for this service (not counting Cloud storage costs). Average account won’t be having events every 5 minutes on each cam though.

Sure doesn’t seem to me like anyone can claim Wyze is ripping us off…it does make one wonder how this PD subscription can survive though, even at their suggested rate under $2 per account if the PD alone can cost as much as $7/month per cam if you max out the events.

2 Likes

Where did this number come from?

From this post near the end.

1 Like

This is where the bugs and wind generated events save the day :sweat_smile:

Could someone forward this to Wyze’s new money guy? They have some recalculating to do. :blush:

It’s pretty interesting to see the breakdown and the theoretical numbers crunched.

Hrmmmmph, great question

As to being ‘ripped off’, I think definition of ripped off is up for grabs… If, getting advertised services is considered in defining ripped off then yes, Wyze and Company currently would fall into the ‘ripping us off’ category… I don’t for a moment think that was their initial intent though. The ‘quicksand’ they stepped into was much deeper than they thought.

Interesting cost data. Of course supposedly Wyze’s AI detections are home grown and not rented from Amazon (although hosted there) so theoretically their cost should be less.

In the post I was replying to, 2 above mine about “Amazon Rekognition Video Pricing”

I think you are assuming that that the servers process at speeds limited to regular playback. Fortunately the scan speed of Amazon Rekognition servers is many magnitudes faster.

I’ve been out of pocket all day, and was intending on running some calculations of the process times for various resolutions an capture areas.

Of course, it would be cost prohibitive if a 32 core TPU accelerated cluster analyzed as slowly as I do, Fortunately Moore’s law took care of that issue decades ago.

The pricing per minute is given as obviously depending on the frame size, resolution, relative object sizes, etc. so they give pricing based on server process times.

1 Like

I love that in the AMA they said they are working on an Edge (local) PD solution again! (1:26:00 ish)

2 Likes

Thanks. @kjay showed me too. I guess I didn’t read that post.

1 Like

It amazes me that so much corporate ineptitude was so obviously rampant thru the last three years of Wyze’s growth. They appear to have flourished despite their leadership.

You hire the talent you need to succeed, or you pay the ferryman on the way to ‘edes

Just took out the garbage. The raccoon that came to say hi (he was a youngster) was detected as a person. I wasn’t. Talk about a blow to the ego. lol

THIS is why talent commands such a princely sum.

To think that Apple was stupid enough to buy XNorAI…

You really do reap what you sow.

See my post, I explained some key factors.