Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam

Hey Everyone!

Scott here from the Wyze marketing team.

I’d love to get your thoughts & feedback on an outdoor Wyze Cam.

I’ve created a short questionnaire (linked below) that will help me understand what’s important to you when considering an outdoor camera.

If you’re interested, please open and complete this form: https://forms.gle/Jhmf6amfV5hM9PLV9

Thank you in advance! I’ll be reading every single response

10 Likes

Done!!! Looking forward to getting these installed!!! and still have my fingers crossed for becoming a beta tester :crossed_fingers: (filled out the form already):upside_down_face:

1 Like

Hi Gwendolyn…great to hear about outdoor cam goal…ive been hoping…Just want u to know how I appreciate ur companies efforts and foresight…Hope is all well in the trenches with ur staff despite the naysayers and haters…A lot of us are pulling for u. [MOD EDIT] I love progressive companies that try to help consumers in a responsible and profitable way…we are counting on u to succeed…

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines

4 Likes

Thank you, nca99. We appreciate your support! :smiley:

Thanks Scott.

One of the issues I see in identifying features is people often want features at the expense of what matters. A lot of this is down to ignorance or looking at the specs of others peoples products and thinking more is best, a kind of features arms race. Just look at antivirus programs. This is exactly what happened for a while until some manufacturers started to strip back the programs in favour of what was important. The ones that were often the slowest and least functional were the ones that were all singing and dancing and the ones avoided by the those in know because those features come at the expense of what’s important - preventing viruses and a good everyday user experience in terms of speed.

The same can be said of cameras. Most of your target audience have never seen a quality digital cctv picture so simply don’t know the difference between mediocre and outstanding. Would it influence their decision to realise the difference? I don’t know.

However, when it comes to using the camera for a security purpose, you have to ask the question, ultimately when someone burglarises your house (or attempts to), what’s more important a camera that makes them cup of tea but captures an image from which they can’t be easily identified, or a camera that just watches but catches a perfect video and still image? It’s a bit like having the guard dog we all know someone with one of these, where it barks at the window but then wags it’s tail and licks the burglar to death when he gets in. It’s a great pet, but not a great guard dog.

1 Like

Honestly if that is what I wanted I would not have bought WYZE, they are not trying to be that.

2 Likes

…except that “what matters” isn’t objective. The features that people want are “what matters” to them. “What matters” to you is NOT the overall definition of “what matters.” But it’s not an issue. It just means the product doesn’t cater to you. No problem. Just look for a product that does.

4 Likes

It seems a little late in the process to be asking what we want in an outdoor camera.
I thought this thing was supposed to be released this year, 2019.

5 Likes

The Eufycam uses a 6700mah battery & lots of people have said that they have had it last almost a year and battery bar still high

No one mentioned a voltage for the mah, makes a big difference

Better than previous questionnaires

Hope it’s helpful

@angus.black I think it’s more for how to market the camera, what to demonstrate, what to emphasize on the packaging etc

Could be. That does make sense given the questions asked.

would a solar setup work with constant recording?
my ideal scenario would be this new rugged outdoor camera attached to a small solar panel/battery unit like the motion detection solar units. i would then attach them around the house where there is sunlight out of reach of people on foot. would that keep the camera running 24/7 (in a really sunny region)? or maybe just sell the solar panel thing as an add-on accessory in the store if people don’t want it as one unit.

Theoretically, yes. You’d have to make sure the solar panel gets enough is large enough and that it’s able to store enough energy for night time/cloudy days. I don’t know enough to give you any specifics on what size panel you’d need to buy, but certainly it can be done.

They’ve already said that won’t be part of the plan for V1 of the outdoor cameras, but you can buy aftermarket solar panels which connect to the USB charging port.

Here’s someone who did it with the Pan camera: 100% Solar Powered Wyze Cam Pan

2 Likes

That belies what their web site shows: Indoor/Outdoor, Wired Security Camera | Wyze Cam v3 – Wyze Labs, Inc.

Everything other than drawing on the fridge, ie watching the baby, dog and grounds for intruders is a security ie CCTV application.

Also, I’m not saying the Wyze should be all picture and nothing else, rather than that should be the main focus. Versatility doesn’t necessarily have to be lost so the camera can still be great for wildlife filming etc (something that would benefit from a great picture anyway), but rather that it shouldn’t be packed with every feature you can think of just to make feature packed at the expense of the most important part of a camera, the picture.

1 Like

The same argument cuts both ways. You need to look at how people are going to use the camera. I dare say you can find people using the existing v2 camera as everything from a dashcam, to a naughty bedroom cam, to a wildlife cam, to a security / baby watching cam. However, what is the main user group and that should be the focus (not necessarily exclusively), Remembering as well that this is an outdoor camera and so some indoor applications eg baby watching may be better left to the V2. Also, remember forum members are not necessarily typical members as forum members tend to be enthusiasts of one time or another.

I have to agree Angus, especially if a product is in testing.

The unfortunate side of this is they have a community but there’s been little direct direct engagement up to now. It’s pretty much been left to the community discuss with no feedback as to the merits of ideas, direction, developments etc.

Reading between the lines here though, maybe there’s an opportunity for a late change in spec, or maybe Wyze are considering another parallel product ie 2 versions of the camera to cover more users desires.

1 Like

ty. very useful

I agree. I just think you’re off-base if you think the average user is looking at this product as a replacement for high-end professional security equipment. That’s what you seem to be interested in, and this just isn’t intended to be that.

2 Likes

So when???

The only real difference from my standpoint is in picture quality. I’m not necessarily advocating anything beyond that. My perspective is why should home products deliver an inferior quality picture to professional products when the same picture sensors are available at reasonable prices? It doesn’t matter whether you’re a pro or an amateur. What counts is being able to identify a suspect. Suppose you could make a similar argument as a baby / pet monitor. What if the baby / pet swallows something? The inferior cam might not enable you to make out what it was, the better camera probably could. That could make all the difference.

2 Likes