Network Attached Storage (NAS)

I agree as do most that there is no need to reinvent the wheel - the wheel is available. Meanwhile some keep making excuses for wyze holding back, but from my perspective, they won’t do it unless it includes a wyze device that they can justify for the revenue stream. It seems many equate wyze low prices with some perception of altruism when in essence it is all about profits.

I am going to go ahead and try the hack because this type of integrations would be perfect. Its almost like have RTSP without loosing all of the features I like about WYZE.

THe main reason I want this is the fact that I have already gone through 2 Micro SD cards and I dont really want to keep purchasing these. I hate when one goes out and I essentially lose all visibility.

2 Likes

Which hack? And keep us posted.
I can understand why Wyze had to put NAS on the backburner, They have so many projects they must be spread thin. And I suspect the vast majority of users do not know what they would get from a $200 NAS system for a $20 camera, even if they know what a NAS is.
I’d be very interested if anyone has stats on the user base.

hoping this is still relevant

1 Like

Let us know how it works!

Thanks for this. Good to have options!

I would like to have a “hard drive”device to save Wyze vidio to. Most routers have a rhumb drive for memory. A simple program in deed on the thumb drive could filter for videos to be saved to it, possibly a receiver could work using ss cards as memory using WiFi or direct link into router mentioned previously.

1 Like

Did you end up trying this?
If so, how did it go?

1 Like

OpenMediaVault - SMB/CIFS would be great

Wow, he is just one guy but manage to make something usable for WyzeCam to save recordings on NAS, compare to the Wyze group of developers, I think there is still hope for WyzeCam to support NAS / RTSP / NVR, more probably if they found another like MaxDrive so that they have profit when you buy their camera and NAS/NVR with them. I hope Wyze would realize that not all people wanted their data on the cloud, yes there’s the SD card, but it’s not that secured.

Maybe you should look to partner with PLEX. They have a great platform which is widely accepted. Can organize video and control storage.

1 Like

Yeah, but he is redirecting the mounted SD card directory to an NFS share rather than adding an additional feature like RTSP. Gotta put things into perspective.

Though in this case maybe Wyze can add recording to a network share as a feature?

Anyway, for anyone who’s tried WyzeHack, have you successfully used it with a Synology NAS?

I currently have NFS disabled as I don’t use it but looking at the WyzeHack documentation it looks like there’ll be no login credentials for the NFS folder you designate as the record destination? The WyzeCam is granted read/write access solely by IP address, which seems a bit less than ideal…

NAS users I need some help. Im looking for a NAS which has been proven to work with WYZE cams. The NAS should have software to highlight motion and save it all locally. Im not looking for the WYZE cameras to do anything other than to be cameras. Im looking for the NAS to do the hard part, record video and highlight motion. If I can access it from the internet so much the better. I know Ill have to load RTSP firmware on all my cams but so be it. My problem came from an attempted car break in and the WYZE setup since the recent firmware and app update has ruined what my system used to do well. Any help is appreciated as this is my last try with the cams otherwise Im going to toss all of it.

I use a Western Digital NAS MyBook that works well. The specific one I have is here:

WD 20TB My Cloud EX2 Ultra Network Attached Storage - NAS - WDBVBZ0200JCH-NESN Amazon.com

It’s pricy but very reliable. There are lower capacity (and higher) models as well.

But out of curiosity what was broken by the latest updates? Were you using an SD card with continuous recording?

I have chips in all my cams. Lucky I had those otherwise I never would’ve had video of the 3 perps that were break-in into cars. Im looking for central storage.

1 Like

If you really want offsite storage now set up tinyCam on a Android TV device. I use an nVidia Shield.
tinyCam will run as a server, saving captured video locally, to cloud drives and/or NAS. I use all three.

1 Like

PRICY??
That would be the cost of 40 V2’s!!
It would be interesting to see the distribution of how many cams people own.

11 here but not all running, some are to just play with

My perspective is: if one hacker/programmer can do something like this (although not perfectly secure and stable), how much more a group of developer (Wyze) can do? I just wanted to point out that this feature/function (NAS/RTSP) we are requesting is possible, we just have to convince Wyze of its necessity so they might give them priority on their development roadmap.

2 Likes

I use it for many other things. Biggest use it gets is it hosts my Plex Music and Movie files. The single remaining RTSP V2 I have is not even running Wyze firmware and barely scratches the drive space available. I have networked attached drives out the wazoo and they mostly sit right by the door so I can snag em in case of fire. But I have others that host VM’s of different types and drives that backup other drives and computers. But I hate depending on one drive so I spread em around. This one I got as partial payment for some consulting I did. It was brand new a couple months ago so we will see how well it holds up. Never used that large a drive before, I am a little Leary to be honest.