Fractions in video…

What’s causing my v3’s to have the fractions …?

The only time I have seen those horizontal lines is when the cam frame rate refresh frequency was conflicting with the similar frequency of a nearby fluorescent or LED light bulb.

Do a Google search for “Horizontal Banding”

5 Likes

Hmm, it also reminds me of how my cameras look when I use a USB run that is too long.

Are you saying that the nearby light is causing this ?

No. I am saying that is what those lines remind me of. No way to tell on your end without process of elimination and testing. Moving the cam, testing with nearby lights on\off, IRNV vs CNV, etc.

I had a cam in my garage doing that. Would only do it when the lights were on.

It is definitely horizontal banding, but that can be caused by many things.

Hmm yea . It seems to only happen when using color night vision . In black and white , it’s fine .

This is weird and annoying . Gonna have to swap it out with a new v3 and call support for a replacement . Used about 15 v3’s and never had this issue before :confused:

Swap location w\ 2 cams. Move known good V3 into what I am assuming is the Floodlight and move the affected cam to the known good location.

If the problem follows the cam, it may be a bad cam. Make sure the FW is up to date.

If the problem stays at the location, it isn’t the cam but something else. Perhaps something in the power lines to that location or other powered devices. PIA finding it, process of elimination, trial and error.

If it only happens w\ color night vision, it makes me believe more it may be whatever other lights are running. Because you probably only run those lights at night and IRNV would not allow it to hit the sensor w\ the IRNV filter closed.

Test all scenarios to narrow it down. Do you have the cam status lights on? Turn them off and see what happens? Can you plug the cam into another power source? Those kinds of changes to narrow it down.

1 Like

Same thing on another camera I set up . I turned off the status light and this camera is connected to a different power outlet

The camera that I first noticed it on , was connected to a power outlet that’s outdoors on the side of the house

This one is connected to a power outlet that’s inside of the house…

Yes so I used the included power adapter and cable but I used an extension cord to reach the area I wanted to mount it to .

Is that to blame ?

What should I do? Buy a longer usb cable instead of using an extension cord …?

Oh absolutely not. The long USB cables are what get us in trouble. A reasonable AC extension cord should be fine.

(5 volts doesn’t make it very far down a thin cable. 120 AC over a much thicker cable is better.)

2 Likes

Okay do you have any recommendations or links ? I wanna make sure to get the right one…

Out of curiosity, what is the Bitrate and video quality when you are capturing these anomalies? Does the image improve or fluctuate with the Bitrate?

I can’t seem to be able to upload longer videos bc of the size but I took a quick screen record

Did you find the solution? I’m confused. :thinking:

I was just curious if your bitrate was jumping all around or chokes out but it seems steady in the mid 50’s.

Is this in all your cams or just the two? Do they have anything in common? New ones\old ones? Any change if you switch to SD? 360p?

Certainly not the HD quality you should be getting.

I havent found the solution . Only 2 of the 5 cameras I have at this property seem to be doing this …

The first one was plugged into an outdoor outlet and this one is plugged into an indoor outlet going through a window…

They are brand new cameras

I switched to SD and 360 and it got even worse

Interesting. If you are using that new Android of yours, try this…(it’s just a shot in the dark!)

Go to Account → App Settings and enable Hardware Decoding and see if it changes anything.

1 Like

I got rid of that pixel last week :slight_smile:

Cool phone but not a fan of Google .

Ah. Don’t know if iOS has the option.

But, my next experiment would be to move the cam to an outlet that you know is good on a cam that doesn’t show this and see if the lines appear in the new location. This will determine if you are getting electrical intereference from the outlet or perhaps the wrong freequency. Also flip the power supply 180 if you can to reverse the polarity and see if that changes anything. It may be old wiring issues not up to today’s tech requirement standards.

If the lines do follow the cam to the new plug, then use the cord and the power supply from the good cam to test if that alleviates it, which would isolate those as the problem.

1 Like

The only things that are making sense to me are (a) you have poor AC power or (b) you got a couple of lemons. In addition to moving them around as suggested, you might also want to take a voltmeter to the outlets…

1 Like