Different Alert Sound for Wyze Notifications

I have Android 8 on an LG G5 (former LG flagship) and I don’t have the ability to change notification sounds. I didn’t need it before, because I was monitoring a remote cabin for weather damage. However, during the COVID quarantining, I’ve suddenly gotten a few people in pickup trucks coming down my long private drive during the past week. There isn’t much to steal, but I don’t want to travel to clean up after a break-in. If I didn’t keep missing notifications, I could check and if they got out of their trucks, I could call the police.

If you can’t provide better handling within the app, could you at least recommend another app that might do this? There are 470 votes and it’s all just simple phone app software, not like device firmware.

thanks

1 Like

Hi, @craftsman. Welcome to the community! I can point you to a workaround on how to receive different notifications on Android. One of our fellow mavens @Bam did an awesome job creating a thread with step by step instructions on how to accomplish this. If you’re interested here is the link.

4 Likes

Hate to be “that guy” but it’s really super easy to implement custom notifications into iOS apps… I find it extremely hard to believe that whoever Wyze hired to develop their iOS app can’t figure out how to also implement custom sound notifications. I’m pretty certain Wyze doesn’t do any iOS/Android app development in house because of the lack of response and updates they’ve pushed out… It’s been pretty much the same application since early 2018…

A year and a half later and nothing’s changed.

My point is, the iOS documentation is EVERYWHERE on how to accomplish this (on the developer side) and Wyze could have that competitive EDGE and ADVANTAGE over a SIMPLE to fix/change in a new update to the iOS app. This is like 1~ hour of work to add this into the existing code, like C’MON!

To the Wyze staff; i’m 1000% positive you can hire your own in-house developers to take over and have it’s their SOLE job to up-keep your iOS/Android application.

It’s a shame that 99+% of your buyers probably don’t have the know-how to find this forum and make a statement about what things you need to do… Simple, yet effective things.

/continues to beat said dead horse… (insert more easy tasks Wyze can’t seem to do, etc.etc.)

Just because you sell $25 cameras that are 90% the same as the $300 per cam Company shouldn’t mean you can’t have your externally paid developers do something so simple.

I want to see Wyze the “You’re doing it wrong if you’re not buying Wyze products” company (much like your latest campaign states, quoting Henry Ford). Simple changes and quality of life like this WILL make or break you over time.

You DO NOT want to be known as the “Cheap, but decent hardware, but the software is unbelievably trash” company, DO YOU!?!

2 Likes

Amen!
I don’t know what’s worse, the fact that no one at Wyze addressIng this issues or complaint or the lack of individual notification sounds. Instead they have a PR person tell us they don’t know the specifics to address the complaint. This isn’t anything new but they ignore the same users that they claim they care about.

I fear their intention is to develop just too be bought out and not just invested in. Just my two cents, again.

I like the products but don’t appreciate the lack of response and buggy releases.

Would be great to have different alert sound options on my phone (iOS) for emergency (ie smoke) alarms vs motion detection.
I slept through 35 minutes of smoke alarm alerts on my phone, I assume because they’re the same sound as motion alerts so I block them out and/or simply didn’t hear them. Wish there was an option to change the emergency alerts to something like an alarm clock that keeps going vs the non-disruptive alerts I use for regular motion alerts.

Perhaps a hooting owl?

I slept through 35 minutes of smoke alarm alerts on my phone,

And you survived?

What got burned down?

I’ve been trying to figure out how to change the alert sounds on my iPhone, and from what I’m gathering, the Wyze app developer didn’t simply add a way to do it, which is unbelievable. On top of that, the people at Wyze have had numerous suggestions on doing just that but haven’t listened to their consumers. What a pain…

Yes! I NEED the option to choose different push notification sounds for my wyze cam. Different sounds and different lengths would be really nice. What good is any of it if you are not alarmed the right way?! If I knew that this wasn’t customizable I wouldn’t have purchased.

1 Like

I want to change the in app notifications sound for Wyze cam.

This cannot be done currently but Wyze should have more alert sound options.

My father has dementia and I would like a better option to alert my phone that is more pressing sound or be able to place my own sound in there. This would alert anyone quicker to the cam.
why is this not a function on a security cam already?

It gives a small ding sound that can easily go unnoticed. I enjoy the product and will continue to use it but I would love a more urgent and adjustable alert sound.

1 Like

Can’t you change it in your phone’s notifications setting?

Unfortunately not that I’m aware of. I’ve tried in the app itself as well as the sounds in the iPhone itself. According to apple being able to change a third party app would be unfair to the effort made by the developer.

I’ve also contacted Wyze support for clarification and they sent me here. If anyone has a way I would love to hear about it!

You would be able to change it using a third-party app because you’re using Android but the app used third-party is not available currently on iPhone so it’s only available to Android users. If you scroll up in the post you’ll see a link to a post that I made a while back about how to do it step-by-step using a third-party app called light Flow

Oh, I so want to violate the forum rules. I’ll try not to.

I don’t use or like Apple products. Too limiting and restrictive. No freedom of choice.

Switch to Android. I don’t want to pay more so you can use Apple.

My cars were broken into last weekend and my wyze camera recorded the whole thing but I could not hear the motion/person detected notification while I was asleep.

So my thought was it would be awesome if there was a way to make the notifications on a select time frame and select devices loud and obnoxious, Something that could wake me up at night. A sound like my alarm to wake up in the mornings or something so that I could contact the police and hopefully have them show up in time to catch the bad guys. Or at least be up and out of bed prepared to protect my family if they decided to try coming in the house.

5 Likes

Wow, this still hasn’t been added to the iOS app? There’s nothing really to debate here (and of course, half this thread turns into iOS vs Android), tons of apps use “custom” alert sounds. Wyze could and should implement something — their own sound design or some stock royalty free sound, anything — as the camera alert sound is the default sound for everything else.

That’s it, that’s the request and that’s why. Fair, reasonable, and easy.

2 Likes

Please add this feature. This should have been a feature from day one.

1 Like

The way I see it, is the people at WYZE are only interested is sales, not hearing the suggestions of their consumers. Sadly, this has been going on from day one and they simply don’t show concern whatsoever. It would be a fast and extremely simple solution too.

No, I’m still here and paying attention. I’ve talked to the team about this before and we weren’t expecting to implement it then. But I’m still watching votes and conversations and I bring things up periodically to check in.

2 Likes

Well, I definitely appreciate your efforts.
My point is, this has been an ongoing request by a HUGE number of consumers. Literally years from the numerous complaints I’ve read. I appreciate your speaking to the team, however if they make the conscious decision to simply ignore that input time after time, then it’s completely fruitless in the end. My direct question to you with no disrespect intended is, if the “team” isn’t going to make this request happen, then what has to happen to finally gain results?

1 Like