Wyze is a Chinese Company ( Discussion Continued)

I imagine there’s several ppl in this thread that have me ignored :rofl:

1 Like

gina electronics should be considered a national security matter,

2 Likes

Back ended to Chinas government…that’s what happens when you manufacture with CCP.

2 Likes

It would seem that we Wyzies need to recalibrate our sights on our forum targets…

Just to be clear, the ‘60s fear was of the more powerful Soviet Union, not just Russia and not unfounded. Neither is the concern over China unfounded. China is smart. China saw that capitalism is the way to build wealth and wealth is required to achieve true global power. We (global consumers) have fueled China’s economic and associated military rise. It is only a matter of time before they are the clear global power coupled with zero democracy and no structural respect for human rights.

5 Likes

In modern times, say over the last few centuries my conclusion has been that the reverse has been true. The leaders of impoverished countries gain support for making war against their more prosperous neighbors because the populace can easily be persuaded that they have little or nothing to lose by engaging in military aggression; whereas the more a country develops a middle class and its populace realizes the status and comforts they would be putting at risk, the less support there is for aggression against other countries and the more demand and support there is for democratic principles of government.
Maybe not at the pace we would like to see, but China is gradually becoming more democratic and in the long run its present leaders will not be able to stop it and their successors will be faced with the choice of either accepting it or getting out of the way. Considering its huge land mass and enormous population, no one should be looking for a sudden “4th of July” moment. Here in the United States, we naively imagine that France became a democracy in some single glorious overthrow of the monarchy, whereas the transformation was much more gradual, painful and in some respects much uglier and unglamorous than that.

nixon years,71 or so. I remember thinking this all about profits all the way around. It was well known that this generally wold be the result we see today. There was talk about it,but we were too comfortable and busy intertaining ourselves. Communications Just slightly advanced from mid 20thcentury then . Well,we had 1 paper,3 tv &4 radio stations and some had microwaves and i was about 20.
We had the race riots, communists ,black power,helen ready ,vietnam and then it quieted down to pop up later which we are experiencing now, Complete infiltration and brainwashing of society had occured since the 60s 70s. Much of the country has 180 degreed.
Back to your post Oh yes “gina” is smarter,craftier, and more focused -disiplined than the amerikans
This country has been predictible.Our downfall was obviously orchestrated then and now… as Im sure most are aware… for many decades

1 Like

“but China is gradually becoming more democratic and in the long run its present leaders will not be able to stop it and their successors will be faced with the choice of either accepting it or getting out of the way”…Who will become Democrated 1st? China, Cuba or North Korea? Enlighten us how the USSR changed from Communism to sort of Dictatorship? Maybe because the State was running out of $$'s, people with no food…China will always be the US’s enemy. Check out how much farm land China is buying in the US. Lucky we have a agency to monitor this. And also if you manufacture in China…your technology is transferred to CCP. And what about opening up COVID lab in China to investigate how this virus originated. That would be a nice start for Democracy.

1 Like

I heard Wyze is owned by Ring. Ring makes this cheaper priced product for those who can’t afford Ring.

Thanks TC to tell, I didn’t aware this is a Chinese Company.

As a Chinese, I can tell a Chinese Company don’t have a choice of NOT giving access of their data for the CCP, because this is by LAW in China. AND they dont need to disclose the access and probably is not allowed to; otherwise, they will definitely be arrested under “the law of National Security” and then gotta shut down.

So, whatever the people say how secure the data it is, I advise people take the above “FACT” in caution.

p.s. I also own 3 Wyze camera anyway.

The security issue is not only on the picture/video you capture, there is a bigger security hole -
the Wyze App which is installed in the phone.

2 Likes

Once in a while I will go outside in just my jockey shorts. If I am being observed, no amount of mental bleach can erase that vision. That which has been seen cannot be unseen.

OTOH, a foreign government could be monitoring every camera, be it Wyze or any other Chinese brand. They have accurate video maps of every neighborhood, when we leave and come home, when we brush our teeth (Wyze sent a survey about a toothbrush), turn our lights on and off, etc.

A customer at the shop (not @customer :sunglasses:) retired from the NSA. He will not have a Google Home or Amazon Alexa.

Paranoia can be a good thing but when my wife and I talked about buying xx product, the incoming ads in my browser and news feeds about this and other similar products opened my eyes.

4 Likes

I won’t have either of those in my homes, either. And most certainly not a Facebook Portal!!!

I rent a place periodically during winter months. The house has several Alexa Dots. they are all unplugged as soon as we enter the house.

1 Like

Just came back from renting a Shore house. Amazon Echo was in 2 Living rooms. I also went thru the house just in case and unplugged the devices. I also left a review to any would be renters to do the same.

1 Like

My wife and I take pride in the fact that the “live feed” from our Wyze cameras is apparently really popular over in China. In fact, our videos are #4 on the Primetime Chinese Nielsen Ratings. Not sure why our “show” is so popular … two people, sitting around, watching tv, arguing over the remote control, eating way too many snacks, and walking out of the living room before it gets dark.

Now, granted, I might “streak” through the living room enroute to grab a late night snack out of the fridge, but I can guarantee you, it isn’t a thrilling event in anyone’s opinion.

Sorry, I’m not buying into this “scare” tactic. Almost everything I own has Chinese components assembled into the products and/or is owned by China.

There is probably a microphone in my new couch (assembled in America with an imported wooden Chinese frame).

And, even if I trash all things I think might have Chinese parts in them, I can’t control the items used by my Bank, my Hospital, my Doctor, my Utility company, my Auto manufacturer, Independent Auto repair shop, the IRS and God know how many other government agencies. No doubt my info is on the Dark Web.

The Cat’s out of the bag on this subject. The horse is out of the barn … it’s too late to shut the door.

I’ve been around Wyze for a long, long time. I’m sure they take the necessary steps to avoid sharing our information with China. But then again, if Wyze doesn’t, God only knows how many others are sharing or storing my information.

Suggest everyone take a chill pill and lighten up.

9 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Me too! And I will buy more!

1 Like

One interesting addition here. One day I plugged one in and asked it what the weather was going to be today. I was in the Caribbean and it said the weather was going to be overcast and 40 degrees F. What? So I asked Alexa where I was and it said some town in Massachusetts. The owners and I figured out a previous renter had reset the Echo and adopted it to their own account so they could manage it. Even more reason to worry! I wonder if I could have ordered something big on Amazon for that person?

If you are afraid that people in China are laughing at your underwear, couldn’t you just buy snazzier underwear?
:rofl:

2 Likes

That’s because the NSA and the CIA are already spying on everyone (including domestically on US citizens) around the World, building hackable databases on anything and everything.

And, interestingly enough, the NSA uses computers, laptops, storage devices, watches and phones that are chockful of Chinese components. So, yeah, makes no sense to avoid Google Home or Alexa. Think of the computer chips in his car, relaying his every move.

2 Likes

I suspected from the beginning that this thread was another classic case of mass paranoia, and by now it has been confirmed beyond a reasonable doubt.

Come on folks, are you unaware of the fact that people have been trading privacy for convenience since caveman days? How long do you think it took before the original human beings observed the advantages of delegation of needs fulfillment, by allocating tasks like hunting and gathering, security, comfort, etc. to those most interested and/or most adept at it?

Would you be shocked to learn that in the 17th and 18th centuries, the village shoemaker kept records of the size and shape of other people’s feet? And maybe even shared that information with the widow down the lane who wove stockings? And that the green grocer knew and likely jotted down notes of which of his customers liked which fruits and vegetables, and likely shared knowledge of what he learned with the local butcher? And that each of these enterprising vendors are likely to have initiated conversations from time to time with total strangers they crossed paths with in the village, extolling the virtues of their product or service and inviting strangers to drop into their shop and see for themselves?

And the risk of misuse of such information by those with evil intentions has likewise always existed.

There are many names for this practice, and for the potential for its abuse. One of those names is “civilization.”

5 Likes