Wyze cam V3 stuck on solid red light

I didn’t use any files from the first camera on the second. After learning what the problem is using the first camera, I didn’t have to have serial connection to fix the second. To inspect files on the second camera and copy the recovered files I just added commands to do that to the boot script on SD card of that wz_mini_hacks distribution. Then I’d boot from SD card, wait for a minute to make sure that the script has run, then turn off the camera, plug SD card into PC, and inspect the files copied by the script (or the results of the commands). That way I can “blindly” execute any command by writing results of the commands to the SD card. It is slower than having serial connection, but you don’t have to open the camera.

If you really want to fix the camera that way, I can give you some help. First, to see if you have the same problem as I did:

• Copy the contents of the SD_ROOT folder of wz_mini_hacks distribution to the root of your SD card.
  • Modify wz_mini\etc\init.d\v3_init.sh file on the SD card: find a line with a word “dropbear” in it, and after it add the following:
ls -la /configs/ > /opt/lsinfo.txt
sync
  • Insert the card into the camera, turn on the camera, wait for a minute or too, turn off the camera, put the card into PC, and see what is in the lsinfo.txt file (it should be in the top folder of the SD card).

Now see what is the size listed for .product_config. If it is 0, then you have the same problem. In this case,
Step 2:

• See if you have a file similar to MD5.201283764823ce81c321885f8eb1ee3243.config listed in lsinfo.txt. If you have it, you are in luck: it should contain a copy of .product_config contents. Then replace the 2 lines added earlier to v3_init.sh by:
chmod 777 /configs/.product_config
cp /configs/MD5.XXXXXXXXXX /configs/.product_config
sync

(insert exact file name there)

• Put the card into the camera and turn on the camera. If the red LED changes to something else, you are done. Remove SD card (or delete all the contents from it), and you can use the camera.

If you don’t have MD5.XXXXX file:
Step 3:

• Add these lines instead of previously added ones:
dd if=/dev/mtdblock6 of=/opt/part.dat
sync

That would copy the partition with the config files to the part.dat file on the SD card. You’d need to recover previous versions of .product_config from it. If you really want, you can send it to me and I can take a look if I can quickly do it, though I wouldn’t post that part.dat file on the public forum since it contains info that you don’t want to make public (mostly WiFi passwords and the key that would allow for somebody to see the feed from your camera without you knowing about it or making your camera inoperable).

3 Likes