View On PC/Browser (Windows / Mac / Chromebook)

It would be nice to be able to login to our our Wyze account via Browser and be able to see our cameras from said browser login.

It would allow users from Windows, Linux, Mac or other to be able to view camera from a relatively standardized interface.

Or perhaps easier would be to make a chrome extension, which would allow users to play with and setup multi camera views, currently there is a fake one listed in the Chrome extensions, it might not be bad that you guys put a real one so people don’t get fooled.

2 Likes

Wondering if they moved this to the roadmap just to stop the voting. Pretty cynical thought but that’s how I’ve come to view wyze after going through the doorbell beta and seeing them prematurely push it into retail. At this point I’m holding off on going any further with wyze since we just do not need a house full of automation for the two of us and we plan to relo as soon as it’s safe for me to travel.

FWIW, not too different here. Retirement has been challenging, but mostly been good to us so far. I had a series of med issues from ‘13-‘19 that basically landed me into a sort of early semi-retirement, did a bit of chem eng work from home, and then a local IT temp job. Now I’m helping my son plan a new biz doing the engineering and some biz advising. Fast fwd to 2020 and wife’s planned retirement for Feb, got pushed to May with WFH starting in March (dining area is now office area), then retirement got delayed again until July and then evolved into a WFH part-time consulting job. Considering the way ‘20-‘21 has turned out, it was good timing to fully retire. Plus we’ve been fortunate to have the WFH opportunity. We both want to get out of SoFL, but traveling to find the right place to settle is not on the near term menu.

1 Like

A simple solution to stream to your PC is to install BlueStacks on your PC.

BlueStacks allows you to emulate an Android device on your PC. I have installed Bluestacks and installed the Wyze app on my virtual AOS device and can now stream cameras on my PC as though it were a phone or tablet.

I don’t know if I can stream it to my TV via Chromecast, but I don’t really need to at the moment, That said, I could connect my TV to my PC and use BlueStacks in a second screen.

1 Like

I’ve been doing that for years on my old 2012 MacBookPro, on which BlueStacks ran just fine and the Wyze Android app displayed full screen just fine. On a 9 yr old Mac!
Now that I’ve switched to a 2020 MacBookAir, I am able to run the Wyze ios/iPad app full screen on this new Mac, and I understand the next version of Windows will do essentially the same thing, which will be nice because I also use Windows. But they don’t have to buy a new computer - why not just use BlueStacks on the computer they already own?

Blue Stacks uses a lot of resources on the PC. I would recommend “ScrCpy” (Screen Copy). I’ve been using it for 6 months and it works great! I’m including a link to a tutorial for setting it up on a Mac or PC, if you have any problems just post on this topic and I might be able to help you with it?

1 Like

Doesn’t this require owning/using an android device as pre-requisite?

I think the whole idea here is to have wyze simply provide a simple method anyone could use without any workarounds. I haven’t tried blue stacks on my recent desktop build which is more current and has more resources, but it was not a pleasant experience on my old laptop that was a low end machine, maybe if I cleared out everything else that made it a somewhat useful machine and dedicated it to only blue stacks it would have sufficed.

No. This does not require owning/using an android device as a prerequisite.

How do you know Wyze could simply provide a simple method?

I think if Wyze could simply have already done it, they would have.

1 Like

I agree with Sam!
Bluestacks is not a workaround. It is a simple application.
It runs simply - there is nothing to it. My old mid-2012 Mac ran it!
I used to run it on Windows 7!
You shouldn’t have to delete anything else from your present laptop to run it
Or for $100 you could pick up a 10" Amazon Fire tablet and dispense with BlueStacks and just install the Android Wyze app on that fairly nice size screen. (You can put Google Store and any Android apps from that store on a Fire tablet.)
There are lots of ways and lots of places where you can run the Wyze app.
I even cast Wyze up onto our big screen TV using nothing but my handheld remote.

On the other hand, I suppose it depends on how you define a “workaround.” You could define almost everything we use today as a workaround from some earlier device. Before my retirement in 2006, I used to appear before a Judge who grumbled about getting his secretary a computer because “A computer is nothing but a damn typewriter with an overpriced TV plugged into it!” LOL!

When people would tell me that “I’m not a computer person”. The bosses directed me to explain.

Do you think that 60 years ago when a typewriter was placed on a secretary’s desk that she said, “I’m not a typewriter person” ?

Want me to remove the computer and tell management you refused to learn to use it? We can get you a legal pad and a number 2 pencil.

A computer is a tool. Put forth the effort to learn and become better with it, or you can expect to be paid commensurate with still using a typewriter.

A soldier is expected to be better with the weapons they use year after year. They don’t remain a combat soldier if they don’t get better.

Would we expect a surgeon to be only as good after 20-25 years as they were in their first year?

Frankly I think anyone that uses a computer for their job should be tested annually to measure improvement in their skills. Improvement should be directly tied to job performance review. They don’t improve, they don’t get raises. There should also be standard ratings that merit salary bumps.

Don’t get me started. Please.

Pithy statements aside, I’m pretty sure ChemEngr was responding directly to the person advocating “ScrCpy” which DOES require a separate Android device to do the actual work. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks.

I’m using “Link to windows” android app instead, it allows Windows 10 to run any app from your android phone without installing extra apps on your PC.

But that or bluestack does not help a Linux or Chromebook, or a office computer, that is locked down for installing apps.

Either way it would be nice to be able to see more than on camera live at the same time.

Easier still just use the windows 10 connect my phone feature, you’ll need to download “Connect to windows” app on your phone, and you can run the phones android apps on windows without installing some sort of VM…

Cheers.

Yes, thank you for interpreting! Maybe I replied to the wrong post.

FWIW, I don’t need pc access, it would be nice, but I support those who do need it, over 4000 votes is kind of saying there is a demand, and being required to use third party apps is not something everyone wants.

As far as computer literacy, I’ve been building my own PCs since the 80s. I’ve gone from working with IBM mainframes and card punch to DECs and paper tapes, to apple IIs and PCs from 8088 to the latest on all sorts of PCs, win servers, Linux servers and whatnot. I understand I COULD run an emulator, I COULD load RTSP firmware, I COULD do the hclx hack - I might if the need arises. For now, I simply support those just want an out of the box solution that most other brands offer.

3 Likes

Assuming you have an android phone…

Nope, you replied correctly. :slight_smile: But a few people thought you were talking about something else.

1 Like

My first computer ‘relationship’ was an IBM1401, 8k character memory, and only punch cards for input and output. Talk about some serious system design and program development constraints. :frowning_face:

Early to mid-70s in college, can’t recall IBM Model, 3600 maybe. Mostly just we wrote simple programs in FORTRAN primarily just to solve things like heat exchanger sizing. Hand the operator the card stack carefully to avoid dropping any and eventually they call you back and hand you your printout. Thankfully my senior yr they got a DEC PDP-10 or 11 with crt displays. Created a punched paper tape we could run ourselves - felt like emerging from the dark ages. Not sure I’d refer to those as the good ole days!

But to stay on topic - before buying the wyze V2, I looked at several others and seemed like pc/web access was a common thing. Figured wyze had it too. Although I was disappointed it was not available, we really don’t need it here. Only got 2 cams - one looks outside window next to front door for any deliveries since no one rings bell anymore, other looks out window over patio door. Just 2 cams with little activity are ok using mobile app. However, I completely support those who don’t want to mess around with emulation or buy an android tablet or any other solution that is not directly provided by wyze.

It is a workaround to an actual web based app from Wyze.
Bluestacks does nothing for the people who can’t install third party apps on work computers. That was my initial use for a web based app. Something I could access on a browser without having to install an app on my employers computers.

2 Likes

Exactly!
Bluestacks is an emulator - seems like the very definition of a workaround, no???

1 Like