Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)

I can confirm after unplugging the Wyze Cam V2 on the official RTSP firmware that after a month of not phoning home that it still connects to Blue Iris just fine after power loss. Testing so we have a real idea.

But now I am a bit confused. I have a few v2 and pan cameras using stock app and persons detection from early users. No plus subscription.

If I flash RTSP firmware, will I loose anything? I would just like to use it as additiona stream in HomeAssistant, but for the rest I am satisfied with the solution as I have it.

I have four V2 cams all using the RTSP firmware and I can confirm they still get the free persons detection. However, they were flashed with the RTSP firmware from the very beginning (before the free persons detection rolled out to the early users) so I can’t confirm if flashing your V2 now with the RTSP firmware would retain that feature. I don’t see why it wouldn’t since it’s tied to your camera and your account.

1 Like

It would be nice to have RTSP for the V3 cameras, but there is still a lot of work to be done on RTSP for the V2. The protocol is unstable, My links drop connection at least two to three times a minute. As this is a highly desired feature for cameras, they should put some effort in to providing a more stable platform.

3 Likes

Yes it’s a well known issue, the slapship Rtsp implementation. Wyze said they would provide Rtsp for the wc3, then reneged on that. This is why I’ve switched to a different vendor, I only have one v2 left which I will soon replace.

Did they actually say they wont be making RTSP firmware for the v3? This still says they are working on it: Does the v3 support RTSP? – Wyze (zendesk.com)

I mean it sucks they are keeping us in the dark but I am still holding out faith they will release it. Its that or the 14 cameras under my desk will never come out of the box :frowning:

2 Likes

Strange that your reply quoted me instead of @teredactle … for the record, I’m still hopeful that Wyze would come through with the RTSP firmware for the V3 soon.

1 Like

Without RTSP support for Wyze V3 - is there any other way to view on a Windows desktop via VLC?
Seeing there is no update in 2 month to a reply to the post in March 13 2021 about V3 \RTSP , if this is not going to be support as beta, would it be possible to advise, so I can return my V3 and buy V2 cameras.

https://wyzelabs.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051619871-Does-the-v3-support-RTSP-#:~:text=The%20v3%20does%20not%20support,the%20firmware%20that%20supports%20RTSP.&text=The%20v3%20does%20not%20support,the%20firmware%20that%20supports%20RTSP.

You may have to hunt for the V2 cameras. Wyze has them on the website (Out of Stock) but I think they are discontinued and may not be available. May find them at HomeDepot or maybe Amazon.

Any other ways to view the wyze cam on a desktop without RTSP? - Would like to use a synology with it also if possible.

You’ll need to search through the forum. Many use TinyCam Pro. Some use (I think) Bluestack. Others can provide better information on that than me as I don’t use either of them.

Yes, you can use TinyCam as leverage into RTSP compatibility for the V3.

Search google for wyze cam 3 hcix, apparently you can view the stream from VLC. I haven’t had time to try it, but when I have it I will. Pros - you can still watch the camera in Wyze app.

You can also do that while using the TinyCam workaround. (And you don’t have to touch camera, firmware, or Wyze app.)

I have one friend using bluestack on win 10 just fine, and another using Tinycam pro

I just finished installing the new RTSP in my cam v2 but cannot find the 2.3 app. I type wyze in the play store but it just says installed. My version is 2.20.21. I’d like to try the new feature but can’t find 2.3 TIA

This thread is from 2019 as is the very old app 2.3 you are referring to , 2.20.21 is the most current production app

1 Like

Ok, I have 2.20.21 however the RTSP is not in the advanced tab and I ran the firmware update. Any suggestions? Thank you

Any reason why I am not seeing the update on the app store. I am currently running version 2.20.142. Please let me know. Thanks.

So… still no night mode. :roll_eyes: