Can Wyze take accountability for extremely delayed notifications?

It is so sad , I don’t get extremely delayed notifications with my other brand cameras like I do with the wyze cams.
Is the outdoor cam gonna be any different?

2 Likes

How can it be different for the outdoor cam? It’s the WYZE app that doesn’t know how to play with Android. The notification delays aren’t WYZE device specific, it’s all of them.

1 Like

So, I did try to do the ADB thing last night. Downloaded and unzipped the folder to my desktop, set my Galaxy S10+ into Dev mode, plugged it in via USB, but had no luck running the commands in Console on my iMac. Didn’t see anything happening, or the screens on my phone that the site instructions say you should see. So, that was that :frowning:

Any ideas on how we can get WYZE to commit and follow through with fixing this long standing problem? If I had to guess, I’d say they are sweeping this, and us, under the rug as they concentrate their team effort on their new outdoor cam toy, instead of fixing a key functionality issue affecting all of their devices for a lot of their paying customers.
One very good indicator that this is the case, is that I created a ticket a couple weeks ago and spelled out the issue very clearly, and instead of the tech response saying, yes, we’re aware of this problem and working diligently on a solution, they were suggesting updating the time sync on my cams, and reinstalling the app :-/

After you turned on developer mode, did you turn on “USB Debugging”? On a Pixel 4, the Developer options are in the System settings. USB Debugging is under Developer options. You might also have to set the USB mode on the phone to file transfer mode. On my Pixel, the USB connection options are in the pull-down notification shade. Look in the MacOS section here: https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/.

Reset the time sync on the cams? I’d be surprised if that were the solution. If you try it and it works, please let all of us know.

1 Like

Right now the ‘cake’ of the Wyze cam business is about to collapse under the weight of the ‘frosting’ of new products…

There was one person on the WCO launch video events yesterday who talked about “rebuilding the trust of Wyze users by delivering on promises.” He was referring to delivering the outdoor cam, but I think excellent support for existing products would go a lot further towards this goal.

Could @UserCustomerGwen please forward this thread to that person? :pray: :grinning:

( I really hate to be whiney, but a lot of these issues are serious and longstanding, and I’m flat out of ideas… :pensive: )

2 Likes

Thanks, yeah, I did set the USB Debugging slider to on, and USB mode set to file transfer. Where things came to a grinding halt was entering commands in Console on the mac. Granted, it’s not something I’m familiar with, but a few test commands I saw in the Console “Help” menu seemed to work, but the commands in the ADB step by step didn’t.

Haha, no, the time sync on the cams is perfectly fine. We know for sure the issue is with the app getting affected by the Doze function despite the phone settings set correctly to prevent that.

As Sodcam mentioned, older versions of the app and firmware magically restored his notifications, and something along the way got broken.

Let me try to help with running ADB on a Mac. Forgive me if I’m telling you things that you already know. First, you don’t have to wait until after you install ADB and run a command in order to turn on Developer mode and turn on USB debugging. The XDA Developers instructions imply that you turn on USB debugging after issuing an adb command. I turn on Developer mode then turn on USB debugging, set USB file transfer mode, then proceed with ADB.

1. Download the ADB zip file from https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools-latest-darwin.zip. Note where you’re saving it (e.g., Downloads or Desktop).
  2. Double-click the zip file (directly on the Desktop, if that’s where it is, or open the Downloads folder).
  3. Open the Mac’s Terminal application.
  4. In Terminal, type “cd ~/Desktop/platform-tools” or “cd ~/Downloads/platform-tools” (without the quotes).
  5. Then type “./adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable”. The initial “./” is important, as it tells MacOS that adb command is in the same directory (folder) that you’re in.

The XDA Developers site suggests running the command “adb device”. That isn’t necessary but it will tell you if ADB is communicating with your phone. Another useful command to run after running the one with disable is:

./adb shell dumpsys deviceidle | grep mLightEnabled

If what you get back has two occurrences of “false” in it, then doze has been properly disabled.

If you reboot the phone you’ll have to do this all over again. Every time.

3 Likes

Thank you for your comments and helping out. Muchly appreciated!

Seems all we can do is gnash about here and make a little noise hoping someone will hear, though I also hate to sound like a whiny pants.

It’s just that it’d be sad for the investment I’ve made into the WYZE environment become a waste of time and money… 6 cams, all the house doors sensors, motion sensors, WYZE band… but I can’t always have my phone turned on or charging, can I.

And my wrist is getting tired of 25 notifications vibrating for like 30 seconds straight every time I unlock my phone after an hour.

1 Like

Thanks Jeff, I’ll give it another try tonight and see if I can’t get things going in the Terminal app and will let you know!

This is good to know. Hopefully Wyze will review this and do a code comparison to determine what may have changed. The ADB command has been working for me, but it would be noce to not have to do that to get things to work.

I may look into this as a test. I have an iPhone as well so can experiment with the Pixel 4.

I was working with Wyze and they mentioned the time sync as well. I actually did what they recommended and it did not correct the issue with notifications - at least on my Pixel 4. I decided to be a Beta Tester for the app to see if the issue gets corrected with a newer release. So far, no luck. The latest Beta release has not corrected the notification issue.

I compared a pair of inactive (so wifi only) Samsung J3s running the same build of Android 9.

The one with latest app monitors v2 cams running the latest firmware.

The other runs a 2019 version of the app on a different account and monitors a v2 cam running freshly flashed 2019 firmware.

Then I shared viewing a cam from one account to the other.

Both phones sat next to each other on a table, and are on the same WiFi LAN as all the cams.

At first things were the same, but after sitting awhile so doze mode kicked in, the phone with the 2019 app consistently got timely notifications and the one with the current app got the delayed ‘blooms’ of multiple notifications going off at once.

Same result with shared cams as with cams linked to the account.

Turning on a no-doze app fixed the modern app and notifications began arriving on both phones at the same time.

Phones are test beds and pretty similar, almost same apps, etc, but I didn’t do a factory reset. There were probably other imperfections in the testing as well.

Only ran the test once for an evening, but it confirmed for my purposes what people have been saying in this thread.

Also is seemed to me that the cam running the older firmware ran cooler than the ones with newer firmware.

I need to watch this more, but it is supports a pet theory of mine that the recent firmware/app is pushing the v2 to the limits of its hardware.

Which may be the common reason behind a number of the issues being reported. And may also be why Wyze has not implemented many of the requested features.

Or I could be hallucinating… :wink:

4 Likes

Excellent research there. Hopefully it can help jumpstart some actual progress over at WYZE and lead to a cure :wink: I still mean to attempt another go at trying to get my Mac Console app to dismantle doze, but working on other stuff tonight for work… Great stuff and thanks again for your expert input here on this thread :+1::+1:

1 Like

Thanks, but I’m just blundering along like everybody else! Just hoping we can all get systems that finally work properly! :grinning:

Yeah, that work thing intrudes on my life too… real shame…

1 Like

Well done!

1 Like

Good information here. Hopefully Wyze Development can use what you found related to the App version.

As with everyone else, real work is impeding the ability to look into this. But when I have time, I may try the 2019 version of the app and see how the notifications are.

2 Likes

Thanks! It’s all really due to what everyone else has been posting though! :slightly_smiling_face:

The old versions I’m testing were recommended by @xmick and so far they’re great. I don’t have the scale, band or WCO yet, so I’m not really missing anything except the newest version of person detection

V2 Cam Firmware (Nov 2019)

Android App version (Jan 2020 actually)

This morning I woke up to the ‘new’ phone promptly reporting alerts - even from the ‘old’ shared cam - because the ‘new’ phone had left on the the charger - just one more confirmation of what so many have been reporting!

1 Like

Thanks for the info here. I have Camera’s, Door Sensors, Motion Sensors, Plugs, Door Locks, and even a Wyze Band. For testing purposes, I am not concerned about all of the products, I just need to see if the notifications are provided in a timely fashion.

You provided a lot of good information, something which should aid Wyze in the correction.

2 Likes

:+1: Am very interested to hear how it turns out. Different phone manufacturers and different carriers all tweak the Android OS so much that there’s no telling how they affected the doze feature on any given model.

I think your Google Pixel runs the purest form of Android and would provide the most definitive answer.

1 Like

Agreed. Will see what happens and fill you in.