WyzeCam Ethernet Data Adapter

Wired Ethernet to Micro USB/USB C

I’m working on a work site where the public WiFi doesnt have a password. I have an adapter from an old Google device that has a power brick, Ethernet port and adapter to micro USB. It powers the camera but the camera doesnt have a LAN nic only WiFi. For many locations that do not allow for 2.4Ghz and/or Guest WiFi only without a password this leaves certain sites vulnerable for shared spaces. Example office areas with equipment, shared spaces with strangers passing through, Dr’s offices etc. Without using a single persons name to sign into the enterprise network we could simply use a LAN connection to connect a camera.

Google has made this adapter for their products Google (5V/1A) 6-ft Micro-USB Charger w/ Ethernet for Chromecast Ultra (GL0402)

All the features I actually want are either maybe laters or not at this time.

I started looking at Eufy cameras as an alternative to Wyze , because of their AI, but doesn’t look like anyone is interested in making smart POE cams.

Any suggestions from the forum?

I know the feeling! My personal peeve at the moment is dark mode…

Sure, there are several. Personally I have very inexpensive ($30-$80) 2K floodlight cameras from HeimLink and Foscam that have both WiFi (2.4 and 5 Ghz) and POE ports. I can’t recommend the HeimLink only because of the near absence of support; it’s been working fine outdoors for a year. There are other brands.

They both have local person detection and free notifications, as well as paid plan options. I mostly just use them with TinyCam.

2 Likes

Trashed all my Wyze Products. Gave up on the company. Lots of Gaslighting ZERO results.

It’s kind of sad, I was a product fanatic early on. I don’t know how many people I convinced to buy Wyze products over the last few years… at least a dozen, but I don’t feel comfortable recommending Wyze anymore.

I wouldn’t mind all the distractions with the periphery products, if it felt like they were purposefully building towards a centralized IOT ecosystem. I was really hoping that the mesh announcement would at least demonstrate a plan to tie it all together.

What we got is more of the same, a bunch of white label products with the wyze brand slapped on them and a clunky app to look at our badges for buying them.

1 Like

If its popular enough to force Apple to cave, you’d think that Wyze might consider taking heed, but it doesn’t seem like Wyze puts very much stock in the wishlist anymore.

A lot of the most requested features are going on their 3rd and 4th year of being “looked into”

1 Like

I love the Wyze Cams, but I would like to hardwire them in case there are issues with wifi.

For the V3 and Pan V2 try this:

wz_mini_hacks: wz camera mods

It works with several different adapters. I’m using this one:

Simple setup and connections.

IMG_0314

1 Like

Oh, cool. Will the camera still be searching for a wifi network to connect to?

Once you enable the ethernet connection it doesn’t search for wifi. However, with the V3s and Pan V2s all you need to do is remove the SD card from the camera and reboot and it reverts to wifi. The software also allows you to bond the wifi and ethernet so that the camera will fall-back to wifi if the ethernet is unavailable.

Just a note, the picture I posted was for a V2. With the V3 and Pan V2 you don’t need the USB A adapter in the picture. With the V3 and Pan V2 the Uctronics adapter plugs into the micro USB port on the cameras. Below is a screenshot of part of the configuration page from the web interface:

2 Likes

Okay, cool. Thank you so much! I will give this a try

A Camera that can transfer data over Ethernet, I like the service Wyze has but the lagging while the cameras connect, freeze when I use the live view, etc. I have the cameras powered over Ethernet already but want them to transfer over Ethernet which would be faster than WiFi.

Try this:

wz_mini_hacks: wz camera mods

I actually re-use existing networks line (used with previous POE camera) when i replace them with The Wyze Cam

I used PoE switch to carry power, and PoE splitter (less than 10$ on Amazon) to convert PoE into the proper voltage used by Wyze.

So having those splitter sell from wyze, but also if network can also flow to the USB connection into the CAM will you ensure stable connection. Usually some PoE cam are installed sometime in bad Wifi locations.