WyzeCam Ethernet Data Adapter

That is true, but being in technology and having most of my house already wired, I figured I would complete it and use POE+. This provides me with endless possibilities for charging devices, attaching POE Camera Systems with PVR, or anything else. However, I am simplifying things and reducing what I need to take care of in my house, so Wyze provides me with a solution. In addition, I enjoy all aspects of IT and have no issues with what Wyze has been doing, At this time I have decided to stick with Wyze. But now I have more possibilities.

I should note that I have had Arlo Pro system and Eufy as well. I settled on Wyze as I want to get all of my stuff in one ecosystem without breaking the bank :wink: .

Also, being in the IT field, I have and am involved in many different Smart Home technologies and also had my own PBX in my house for my phone system. I am now simplifying things as I am planning on retiring within a year or so. :slight_smile:

you never know, I may always revert to a Hardwired system. in the October AMA from wyze they mentioned that the V3 is capable of Ethernet but the current FW does not support it. So if and when they come out with Ethernet connected Cameraā€™s, I will be ready.

1 Like

I :frowning: just want an update. The last info we got about this was in October (now 6 months ago). Please, someone, I beg. @UserCustomerGwen @Frederik

PoE is only already half supported for the moment.

The power aspect should be working already.
The data through PoE is not supported yet. The team is looking into supporting it but we are not there yet. If you have a network adapter that can send the data into the cam, it might end up creating some adverse effect. So beware!

5 Likes

Get on it.

A busy box re flash firmware is being created in GitHub that enables an Amazon usb to network device functional.

What do you mean the Power aspect is working? When I asked support previously about using POE solely for power purposes and a MicroUSB adapter, I was told it wasnā€™t supported due to the power requirements of the v3. Is that no longer the case? Please clarify. Thank you!

Forget about wyze poe option and buy yourself favor with poe camera. I bought some poe camera, onvif and upgraded. I have been happy since. How can you justify investing on those poe switch for a camera that does not support it. I am happier now with my poe switch, poe camera at 39dollar and my NAS to record with mobile app.

Thanks for the update, I have mine connected to a POE Splitter for Power and Data. I only use the Power side for now

IMHO, I have no issue investing in the switch and adapters as I now have the ability to utilize any camera. I am sticking with Wyze as I donā€™t have any issues with it and it is powered with the POE solution. Once it allows for Data, I am ready.

So, not an issue to me.

Mine is working via POE with the splitter in place for Power. There is no issue, not sure why they said that.

To be clear, is your splitter also converting to 5 Volt DC power or is it passing the full PoE voltage to the camera?

How will the camera know that power is coming off a POE? DC is DC, as long as the final voltage is 5V and it can support the the required amps, it doesnā€™t matter where that DC is coming from.

1 Like

Honestly the only reason Iā€™m sticking with wyze is because i havenā€™t found any camera that small thatā€™s barely noticeable. But obviously the data over ethernet should be fairly easy to implement at least on the v2s the dafang hack is already available.

I donā€™t see how thatā€™s possible if thereā€™s no ethernet port on the camera? Wyze doesnā€™t do hardware designs; only uses off the shelf hardware.

The V2 USB port already supports some data. It communicates with an attached bridge.

1 Like

Many people has decided to do things in the hard way. I had wyze cams and I trusted in them providing cheap but still reliable service until I have a rethink. I sold all my cams after I had a revelation. I was dumb then but not anymore. How can I buy a poe splitter and still drawing connection through wifi. Itā€™s dumb. For me, I moved on as I realised that wyze, has no plans for poe or ethernet support. You all can wait forever but itā€™s not coming. We all act as if wyze can is cheap, but itā€™s not when compared to features. I bought 5MP onvif ip camera for 35dollar each, 8 port poe switch at 27dollar and 4k nvr and all my worries went over. A very and professional setup. No clumsy cable run, no glitch from weak wifi most especially having my wifi free for mobile devices. I can say that I was frustrated by wyze behavior and you believe it or not, wyze will never make available poe or ethernet support which should have been the way. Nvr works better. I have 2tb drive and I can record forever almost. Most importantly, my nvr is 9channels and I have only used 4 out of it.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that not everyone has the same use case as yours.

Among the many reasons not to hardwire that Iā€™ve gleaned from this forum, the apartment dwellers are not allowed by their leases to do anything with their units like drilling on walls, much less lay out new electrical circuits like network cables.

And then there are the lazy bums like me; your way IS the hard way.

What many reasons are those? The longer I spend in this forum the more Iā€™ve grown convinced that wired cameras are the only way to go.

I didnā€™t say WiFi is better. I said, some donā€™t have the option to hardwire. I know a few people who rent houses, they explicitly state in the lease that the renter canā€™t lay out new wires.

I know, thatā€™s what you said above. Iā€™m asking about the other reasons?

Iā€™m not really keeping track but here are a couple.

My case: When Iā€™m out of the house, I monitor a sick dog who suffers from seizures. I have two V3s (and other plugged-in V3s in fixed locations) that I connect to batteries and place them where I expect the dog to be for that day. I canā€™t really hardwire every conceivable corner of the house and the yard.

I see a couple of guys who monitor feral animals outdoors. Canā€™t really hardwire in this case.

But really my point is this: Itā€™s good that the guy who needed hardwiring cameras that he found a good solution for him. But itā€™s not good that he thinks everyone else should do the same.

1 Like