Wyze Thermostat - lock min and max temp

For some reason, a subset of people seem to think that central heating/air conditioning is like the manual heater/air conditioner controls they had in their cars. “If I turn it all the way down, it will blow colder air, and if I turn it all the way up, it will blow hotter air.”

3 Likes

Follow up update:

As it turns out @matthewadams12 discovered that the Lock feature is only a suggestion. The lock can be unlocked from the thermostat head with very little effort.

Found this Wishlist topic from a year ago:

4 Likes

I see this all of the time in our short-term rental properties. As soon as they get into the unit, the thermostat is always set to the lower limit (I limit them to 70 degrees on A/C). Then awhile later I notice that most guests adjust to somewhere between 73 and 76.

1 Like

I agree. Need to be able set a range that rental guests can adjust the temperature within, but not exceed the min and max boundaries. For example, a range that would allow them to adjust the AC temperature between 71 and 77 degrees, but no higher or lower. Ideally there would be separate ranges for Heat and Cool. And a PIN that the owner could enter to easily override the range limits would be great. P.S. Google Nest Learning Thermostat has this feature - but it is way more expensive and I don’t need the learning feature - every guest is going to have different habits and preferences, so the learning feature would be worse than useless.

3 Likes

Yes, the Nest thermostat is way more complicated than you need for a rental. Wyze has almost the perfect solution, we just need more people to hit that vote button to get the feature prioritized. I would be fine with the ranges without a PIN feature as you’d easily be able to override in the app.

2 Likes

Has this still not been implemented yet? I have a Wyze thermostat in the box ready to use for my AIrBnb, but going to have to purchase another brand thermostat as I have already had 2 guests freeze out the unit.

1 Like

Thermostat temperature parameters so house guests don’t choose extreme temperatures

My home is used as a short term rental and it seems that whenever a guest arrives, they adjust the thermostat all the way to 85F hot or to 55F cold. I hate that they change it to extremes and then I gotta go in the app and override their choice. I wish I could set parameters for my house guests. I don’t want to block them out from using the thermostat completely. I wish that my house guests could set their temperature between a range of 67-74 degrees Fahrenheit. That way I won’t have to go policing them at all hours of the day.

1 Like

Welcome to the Wyze User Community Forum @ccajk2 & @palmersappliance!

I agree that this feature is needed. I am wondering if they are being apprehensive about doing this because of possible issues that might create a permanently locked thermostat if app access is lost for some reason. Just a thought.

It would also be nice to have Rules “temp exceeds” triggers for the Thermostat so that it could shut itself off by rule when a specified temp is exceeded.

In any case, if it is purely safety of the equipment that is the concern here, there is a way to protect the equipment and force a unit shutdown if a specified temp has been exceeded. It does require some additional Wyze equipment, but it is possible.

How has this been working out for you? I have all the equipment except the climate sensors, likely going to get them.

1 Like

Welcome to the Wyze User Community Forum @bbest100!

I haven’t had the AC on for some time now, and I manage the system pretty closely, so I haven’t had to rely on the climate sensor for a low temp shutoff for some time (it is exceptionally cold :cold_face: right now).

But, I just modified the rule to test the climate sensor for in excess of 60° high temp shutdown and it successfully shut off the Thermostat while it was in active heat mode (Auto) and the temp was set to heat to 88°.

What I like about this sensor rule option is that no matter how high or how low the thermostat gets manually set to by cranking the wheel, after the Shut Off Rule switches the thermostat to Off, when it is returned to Auto, Heat, or Cool the set temp returns to the preset preference temps. This means there is really no reason to have to intervene. If a guest cranks it to the limits, the climate sensor will shut it off at your rule preset and send you a notification. When they figure it out that it is off, turning it back on will reset it back to your preference temps. After a couple of these cycles, they may just give up.

The only loophole drawback here is if they get creative and figure out that disconnecting the internet will block the shutdown command. But, now that Wyze is sending you a push notification if your hub goes offline, you will know about that too!

1 Like

I have the same problem with AirBNB renters. My last one came in the house and set every one of them to 80F. it was 40 outside and 68 in the house already. Anytime I used a rule (my human rule) and set the temp down to 75, I noticed within the hour they were all back up to 80. Like other here, I think we are going to have a RESET and fine if they do this again. For a week this group had them at 80. Yet we also were told from neighbors they left doors / sliders open as they were outside and did not care. Does anyone know of other thermostats that have the min/max locks? I am willing to change thermostats for this features as the cost this weekend would pay for me to replace then WYSE thermosets that I love, but with out these features I can’t pay for wasted energy like this all year long.

1 Like

Yes, the Emerson Sensi series of thermostats will do what you are looking for. I’m hopeful that Wyze will see the opportunity in serving the Short Term Renal industry as that simple change would make their thermostats a hot commodity, but so far there has been no movement.

1 Like

Great suggestion. I just ordered my climate sensors.

We’ve been dinged on AirBnB/VRBO reviews about the A/C limits, but it’s for their own good. When they set the thermo too low, the A/C freezes up and they have no cooling for several hours.

1 Like

Well, everyone, I finally gave up on Wyze for this. I bought a used Emerson Sensi with the nasty LCD display, but it works flawlessly. I now give my guests the ability to set the temperature to their liking, but they cannot set it below 70º for cooling or greater than 80º for heating. When they try, the display just says “Limit” and that’s the end of it. Guests cannot unlock the device. I don’t even need to share it with my property manager now. It Just Works.™️

Sad that Wyze couldn’t implement this feature or provide an API/SDK so that I could implement it myself. :pensive:

2 Likes

I also gave up. Emerson Sensi works well and you are able to lock out min and max temperatures. Like Wyze but was a deal breaker for me. Hopefully I can use the Wyze thermo somewhere…

2 Likes

Be warned that your guests can absolutely unlock your Emerson Sensi thermostat from the screen. We have 6 of them and we occasionally get a guest that will go ahead and conduct a system reset on the thermostat so they can gain full-range control on the temperatures.

The smart ones capture the settings for the HVAC system before they do it so they can reprogram it to work, but of course it won’t put it back on the network or keep other configuration information.

The not-so-smart ones will end up with a HVAC system that doesn’t work. Then the property management gets an emergency call and they send over the HVAC tech to fix it. We charge them $175 for it and warn them that as per our terms, if they try it again, we will throw them out. We had an argument one time about them messing with it. They swore up and down that they didn’t, but it is easy to tell if it has been reset as the HVAC Contractor information will get wiped out if they reset it.

We are up front and tell them in the terms and the welcome e-mail that the thermostat will not go below 68 for cooling or over 80 for heating and if they are not ok with that, to not book. We also warn them that resetting the thermostat will result in a non-working HVAC, can risk damage to the HVAC, and it will require a service call to fix that will cost them $175. I only get one of these idiots about once every 6 months.

Any of them that do it (smart ones or idiots) get banned from our properties for life.

4 Likes

Can you add a parental control lock for the thermostat?

Add temperature limits to thermostat

Please add the option to restrict the thermostat to specific temperature limits. Most smart thermostats have this option. For example, if the temperature limits are set to 20 and 25 degrees C then the physical thermostat can’t be turned above or below these limits. This is excellent for rental units or for houses with kids. It allows the person in the home to select the temperature they are comfortable at but prevents them from abusing the heating/cooling system.

I’ve needed this function on several occasions so far since I run an Airbnb and occasionally renters crank the heat (sometimes in the peak of the summer). The safety temperatures don’t help and my only other option currently is to lock them out of the thermostat completely but this would prevent them from having any control at all.

Please add temperature limits that can be set through the Wyze app.

3 Likes

Add the freaking temperature limits feature Wyze!!!