Wyze Thermostat - lock min and max temp

I agree. I want to be able to set the min and max temps that can be dialed in at the thermostats. Why can we do this as an admin?

2 Likes

Have been fiddling with some rules for the Thermostat. Does require the Sense Hub with Climate Sensors… But it is possible:

Built a rule that uses the Climate Sensor Temp (trigger), if Temp is below X°, Thermostat set mode to Off (action).

So, hiding the climate sensor in the house, if the temp dips too low, the AC unit powers off @ the thermostat (off mode) and the climate sensor sends a notification to my phone. I can then take whatever action is needed by resetting the thermostat to the proper temp and state and lock it.

Sure, there are ways to work around things with rules, but I don’t want to have to take manual action.

Understood. Not the best case scenario. Just providing viable options. Right now it’s (1) wait it out, (2) replacement.

You might not get a good review, but once the AC shut off several times on them, they might get the hint that the instructions you left for them were true:

“Please do not set the Thermostat below 68°. If you do, it will automatically shut off and will cease to operate. There will be an additional $100 service fee for resetting the Thermostat. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.”

Question, in the App there is the Lock Thermostat menu which implies the app must be used to control the T-Stat. I have not tried this, but would it do what is expected? Basically, toggle that on and then no one can change the T-Stat temp without using the App.

I realize this would stop anyone from changing the Temp at all, but it could be an option.

Just curious

1 Like

Yeah, it locks the user at the T-stat head out. They can scroll thru and see the pages on the screen, but if they try to change anything it reminds them that it is locked.

In the case of most posters asking for temp range locks, the T-stats are in rental units where they still want to afford the Tennant some range flexibility freedom without offering full free range.

EDIT: I just had a flashback memory of my Dad going ballistic when one of us kids turned the thermostat down too low :cold_face: or up to high :hot_face:. Hi\Low limit locks would be a welcome addition in those situations too.

2 Likes

That is what I figured.

Thanks

1 Like

This is exactly the case with us landlords. I have long-term rentals where the tenants pay for the utilities and I don’t worry about them as they have no interest in trying to get the temperature to 60F when it is 100F outside because they don’t want a $300+ electricity bill.

In my short-term rentals, where I pay for the utilities, I have seen the thermostat set to 50F. Residential air conditioners simply cannot keep up with that type of request. I don’t think that people are trying to be malicious, it’s just that for some reason most people think that if you turn the thermostat way further than the temperature you want it will get to that temperature faster, then they forget about it, and are then later turning up the thermostat or opening windows to balance the temp leading to a vicious cycle.

Most residential central air units can only provide a 20-25F difference between outside and inside temperature. So turning the temp to 50F lower than the outside temp, the unit will never shutoff which can lead to freeze-up of the coils, complete loss of cooling, and equipment damage.

1 Like

Really!! need this feature for the above reasons. Airbnb guest turning AC too low causes all kinds of problems. Hate to have to buy another thermostat that can do this but it looks like I will have to. Too much risk in losses of $ and HVAC equipment.

2 Likes

Make sure sure you click on the vote button to get this feature prioritized for development.

1 Like

For some reason, a subset of people seem to think that central heating/air conditioning is like the manual heater/air conditioner controls they had in their cars. “If I turn it all the way down, it will blow colder air, and if I turn it all the way up, it will blow hotter air.”

3 Likes

Follow up update:

As it turns out @matthewadams12 discovered that the Lock feature is only a suggestion. The lock can be unlocked from the thermostat head with very little effort.

Found this #wishlist topic from a year ago:

4 Likes

I see this all of the time in our short-term rental properties. As soon as they get into the unit, the thermostat is always set to the lower limit (I limit them to 70 degrees on A/C). Then awhile later I notice that most guests adjust to somewhere between 73 and 76.

1 Like

I agree. Need to be able set a range that rental guests can adjust the temperature within, but not exceed the min and max boundaries. For example, a range that would allow them to adjust the AC temperature between 71 and 77 degrees, but no higher or lower. Ideally there would be separate ranges for Heat and Cool. And a PIN that the owner could enter to easily override the range limits would be great. P.S. Google Nest Learning Thermostat has this feature - but it is way more expensive and I don’t need the learning feature - every guest is going to have different habits and preferences, so the learning feature would be worse than useless.

3 Likes

Yes, the Nest thermostat is way more complicated than you need for a rental. Wyze has almost the perfect solution, we just need more people to hit that vote button to get the feature prioritized. I would be fine with the ranges without a PIN feature as you’d easily be able to override in the app.

2 Likes

Has this still not been implemented yet? I have a Wyze thermostat in the box ready to use for my AIrBnb, but going to have to purchase another brand thermostat as I have already had 2 guests freeze out the unit.

1 Like

Thermostat temperature parameters so house guests don’t choose extreme temperatures

My home is used as a short term rental and it seems that whenever a guest arrives, they adjust the thermostat all the way to 85F hot or to 55F cold. I hate that they change it to extremes and then I gotta go in the app and override their choice. I wish I could set parameters for my house guests. I don’t want to block them out from using the thermostat completely. I wish that my house guests could set their temperature between a range of 67-74 degrees Fahrenheit. That way I won’t have to go policing them at all hours of the day.

1 Like

Welcome to the Wyze User Community Forum @ccajk2 & @palmersappliance!

I agree that this feature is needed. I am wondering if they are being apprehensive about doing this because of possible issues that might create a permanently locked thermostat if app access is lost for some reason. Just a thought.

It would also be nice to have Rules “temp exceeds” triggers for the Thermostat so that it could shut itself off by rule when a specified temp is exceeded.

In any case, if it is purely safety of the equipment that is the concern here, there is a way to protect the equipment and force a unit shutdown if a specified temp has been exceeded. It does require some additional Wyze equipment, but it is possible.

How has this been working out for you? I have all the equipment except the climate sensors, likely going to get them.

1 Like

Welcome to the Wyze User Community Forum @bbest100!

I haven’t had the AC on for some time now, and I manage the system pretty closely, so I haven’t had to rely on the climate sensor for a low temp shutoff for some time (it is exceptionally cold :cold_face: right now).

But, I just modified the rule to test the climate sensor for in excess of 60° high temp shutdown and it successfully shut off the Thermostat while it was in active heat mode (Auto) and the temp was set to heat to 88°.

What I like about this sensor rule option is that no matter how high or how low the thermostat gets manually set to by cranking the wheel, after the Shut Off Rule switches the thermostat to Off, when it is returned to Auto, Heat, or Cool the set temp returns to the preset preference temps. This means there is really no reason to have to intervene. If a guest cranks it to the limits, the climate sensor will shut it off at your rule preset and send you a notification. When they figure it out that it is off, turning it back on will reset it back to your preference temps. After a couple of these cycles, they may just give up.

The only loophole drawback here is if they get creative and figure out that disconnecting the internet will block the shutdown command. But, now that Wyze is sending you a push notification if your hub goes offline, you will know about that too!

1 Like