Wyze plugs KEEP going offline, with only fix being pulling it and replugging it in

I pulled a new one out of the box and acclimated it to my network. It finished, and for some reason is still slow blinking. The app sees it, and it has an IP address, but the app will not turn it off, the button in the app grays out, and acts like it is off. It is at 1.2.0.53 out of the box and wants to go to 1.2.0.126. I will allow this one upgrade and check back in. The first shot at the upgrade failed. I unplugged it and moved it to another “tested” outlet, and when it booted the app (android) controlled it properly but still wanted to go to 1.2.0.126, so I let it, and it took that firmware. It is now says it is up-to-date and will not update any further. I know the .176 did not work, and the .179 did not work, so let’s see if the .126 is the last good one. If all else fails Wyze, just rebrand the exterior plugs as interior, then you will have a “fix”! The exterior one I have has been pretty solid, and it gives power use metrics too!

Please Wyze personnel, grab a brand new plug (out of the box), and run through this same testing scenario. It will only take a few days for the .176 or .179 to fail. If it is a problem with me being in the Central Time Zone, or if it is a secret router setting, I am open to trying a different one!
Thanks!

1 Like

My 2021 CFH Plug is on .126, and fails every week or two right next to the router. So something deeper may be going on. Hope it is solved soon (I supplied a log).

I still have one new one left (never activated) that came out of the same box as this previous one.
When this 1.2.0.126 one fails, I will setup the new one and leave it at 1.2.0.53 and block updates to it.
The problem with leaving it at .53 that is .126 added the “Time of Day” schedules.
I like that new feature, but I could do without it if they would just stay online consistently.
I have never joined the official beta testing program, because I already feel like a beta tester in production.

The “locally stored” time of day schedules go south when they fail, so I’m not sure there’s much gain in having them. That really was a bummer for my lamp that is 1500 miles away…

My plugs have been online for over a week now without problems and without any changes on my end. Plug firmware is 1.2.0.179. Wyze server issues???

Oh my gosh. This worked for me. One of my CFH plugs running on .179 firmware just dropped offline. Used your trick and mine has reconnected without having to reset it. Thank you!

I’ve had the same problem with two Wyze plugs (2021 version, Model Wyze Plug CFH). My solution has also been to delete the plugs from the app, then to re-add them back, but this never works for more than a few days, sometimes as little as hours. I’ve had these plugs for several months, one of which has not changed physical locations during that time, but the disconnection problem did not happen for the first few months of use. I don’t know if the problem started with the current firmware (1.2.0.176) or not. I have submitted logs.

1 Like

Yes, that is when the most recent set of problems began. WYZE then released X.179 stating it fixed the issue. Meanwhile lots of people that tested that version while in BETA reported issues with the firmware. WYZE has pulled both version 176 and version 179. The saga continues and everyone that has updated to either or both versions is stuck living with plugs going offline. I haven’t heard if there is yet another version of firmware being tested in BETA or not.

Not yet…179 is the latest beta that I see.

If Wyze did indeed pull the two most recent updates then hopefully this issue will be behind all of us very soon.

Keep on submitting logs until there are no logs to submit!

Below is a snippet from: https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024852172-Release-Notes-Firmware

Wyze Plug (2021 Version) Firmware (With Key Design)

1.2.0.179 (February 28, 2022)

• Improved network stability issues and overall connectivity performance
  • Fixed a bug that caused frequent connectivity issues

Note: Wyze Plug firmware 1.2.0.179 is being paused as we look into reports of connectivity not being improved by this update and plugs that stop responding after updating. Some regain function a day or two later but others are still unresponsive. If this has happened to you, please reach out to Wyze Customer Support.

1.2.0.176 (January 19, 2022)

• Added Bluetooth firmware logs if the plug has trouble with setup

Note: This firmware is being halted due to an identified issue that causes the plug to go offline often. We have identified the root cause and are working on a firmware release that will fix the problem.

1.2.0.126 (December 6, 2021)

• Added support for Time of Day local scheduling

1.2.0.93 (February 24, 2021)

• Improved plug performance

1.2.0.76 (January 18, 2021)

• Fixed a bug that caused the status light to remain on

WildBill is my canary in a coal mine.

When he gives the all clear then I’ll update

:bird: cheep!!! cheep!!!

OK, I realize it’s not a golden fix, but I thought it might be helpful. Kudos to all of those who thought to check out the ground. A lot of people take it for granted.

Not downplaying the possibility. However, mine have working fine for months in the same outlets and suddenly stopped. No changes to the wiring.

1 Like

I bragged about the outdoor plug earlier in this thread about how rock solid it was, and I noticed it was offline yesterday, so I left it alone all night till this afternoon, and it never recovered. It did recover after I unplugged it and waited 10 seconds and plugged it back in. This device is about 4 feet from the router on the other side of the wall. I did plug a dremel tool into the spare outlet yesterday early in the morning, so that may have caused it to drop offline (which is highly understandable). This device is so much more stable than the interior plugs, so I will give it a pass!

My remote plug that’s been out for a few weeks now has the light on 24/7. All I can figure is the power went out for a minute or two when it should have been on, it reset itself and went offline when it was supposed to be on.
Was hoping it was reset and working but I can see the blue light flashing thru the cam. Oh well.

well another will no longer reset. thats number 2. I found 2 more brand new I forgot I had and set one up yesterday and did not allow firmware update (current 1.2.0.48). So far so good

A couple questions - Where is the schedule stored? on the plug itself? in the app? Wyze server?
Does the plug itself actually initiate any communication or does it just receive instructions?
once setup is complete is internet needed on the network, or can you just use a internal network that doesnt have access to the internet? I’m just wondering if it would make any sense to try them on a local only network
As far as the thoughts about grounded outlet, my 6 are grounded. two that loose connection daily are normal outlets (one of those has perm failed now-it wont load firmware anymore therefore I cant set a schedule) another one that had repeatedly lost connection and now also has perm failed is in a GFCI neither of the ones that failed permently have a big draw through them, 2 have a transformer that is 12v 1amp output for a led light these both are the fail plugs - a 3rd which still works but is loosing connection every day or two has 2 transformers running 2 Led lights ( 2amp)

and finally, did the app change when choosing the network? I could have sworn that it use to show networks in the dropdown box during a setup, but mine is always blank now and I have to manually type in the network ID

Somewhere above in this thread someone suggested removing spaces from the names of these plugs would be a thing to try. So I did. I did it with both of my plugs that kept disconnecting, and I’m on day 2 of continuos connection. I’ll report in if my good luck holds.

Mevatt - what version firmware?