Wyze plugs KEEP going offline, with only fix being pulling it and replugging it in

Thanks for the info Jason.

Iā€™m pleased to report zero issues since the dev team announced they found the problem and are performing internal testing. Iā€™m curious, has anyone else had any problems since the announcement?

If nobody is having problems these days, it confirms that (at least part of) the problem is on the back-end.

Yesā€¦I had a plug go offline when I rebooted my wifi router and have been unable to reconnect. It was running the beta firmware:

Yeah, fair enough. Iā€™m still running on the latest official release that was pulled back - aka the last BETA firmware that was failing during BETA testing.

Anyway, I had a plug go offline today. At least Iā€™m not having one go offline each and every day like it was.

New Beta released. 206

Installed.

Problem was a buffer overflow issue, too much memory used.

We shall see.

1 Like

Fits with what I was seeing when graphing ping timesā€¦ Ping times would increase over the course of about fifteen minutes, then the device would resetā€¦

Returned mine to the store and am going in another direction (brand)ā€¦

I really need to get my monitor set back up. Unifi didnā€™t show any issues but doesnā€™t track icmp times just signal strength. Until it just stopped.

Probably too soon to ask, but does the fix seem to work?

Iā€™m leery on the buffer overflow issue. First, that should have been pretty obvious right away, instead of after three months. Second, Iā€™m wondering how that would explain the same plug failing in some cases after two days and in some after 14+ days, running the same schedule.
But Iā€™d be happy with a fix as Iā€™m sure I can find a use for the plugs even though Iā€™ve replaced three with a different brand at the moment.

Mike21, so far so good on my end and I havenā€™t heard of any plugs going offline on the beta thread.

Regarding the buffer issue, I believe it. Thatā€™s why it was so difficult to catch, they were not tracing/logging at such a low level in the code and there was no error handling in the function.

Moderator Note: Personal information has been manually removed from this post. Such information often gets included inadvertently in an email signature block when replying by email. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.

Very reminiscent of a former alarm company Called ā€œā€œI SMART ALARMā€ā€ , great beginnings, sold all over the country, lots of cool products but CRAP support, 90% of their stuff never worked right for any length of time, 2-6 weeks , then bam, off line or what ever !! after 4 years, they bailed, leaving hundreds of thousands of customers with lots of useless alarm goodies !! this Company seems all to familiar in many ways !!??
HMMMMMMā€¦

1 Like

What firmware version are the plugs? My cameras never go offine but my plugs only stay connected for a day or 2. Plugs are on last firmware release.

Plugs FW 1.2.0.80

That is only available for people willing to play with BETA firmware. For those of us that expect a stable release, information about the latest release can always be found here:

WYZE - Release-Notes-Firmware

Here is the snippet from that page that applies to this thread:

Wyze Plug (2021 Version) Firmware (With Key Design)

1.2.0.179 (February 28, 2022)

• Improved network stability issues and overall connectivity performance
  • Fixed a bug that caused frequent connectivity issues

Note: Wyze Plug firmware 1.2.0.179 is being paused as we look into reports of connectivity not being improved by this update and plugs that stop responding after updating. Some regain function a day or two later but others are still unresponsive. If this has happened to you, please reach out to Wyze Customer Support.

1.2.0.176 (January 19, 2022)

• Added Bluetooth firmware logs if the plug has trouble with setup

Note: This firmware is being halted due to an identified issue that causes the plug to go offline often. We have identified the root cause and are working on a firmware release that will fix the problem.

1.2.0.126 (December 6, 2021)

• Added support for Time of Day local scheduling

1.2.0.93 (February 24, 2021)

• Improved plug performance

1.2.0.76 (January 18, 2021)

• Fixed a bug that caused the status light to remain on
1 Like

Hi my plugs are the 2021 plugs and Iā€™m running beta firmware 1.2.0.206 that I installed 4-28-2022 and have had no problems to date. and 2 of them are so far away from the wifi they only have 1 bar.

1 Like

206 seems to have fixed the issue. I have crap for internet and my 4 plugs have worked perfectly.

Moderator Note: Personal information has been manually removed from this post. Such information often gets included inadvertently in an email signature block when replying by email. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.

1 Like

Brig you may want to check you last comment? You may have left your personal phone #

1 Like

I have four 2.32.2 plugs. Been on the 1.2.0.206 firmware since it was released.

Last night, one went offline, blinking. Had to re-initialize it.

Iā€™d say it isnā€™t completely resolved yet.

Definitely sumbit a log. Thatā€™s the first one Iā€™ve heard.

Iā€™ll wait for a longer verdict at this point. I had plugs on .176 that took over two weeks to turn to blinkers, needed re-added, and then lasted only a few days before they did it again. And vice-versa.

I need to rely on them for remote operation where I canā€™t easily get to them to physically reset them.

2 Likes