Wyze Outdoor: Base Station - Very Hot

Just setup my base station and camera today. I have micro SD cards in both devices.

Went to move my base station and it was super hot to the touch. Anyone else experiencing this? Given it is 80F here in Michigan today but the base station seemed excessively hot.

Noticed there are slots cut into the side and bottom of the base station to account for this but those do not seem nearly enough…

1 Like
1 Like

Check the bottom. That’s where I toasted my fingers

Keep in mind if the SoC in there were only using 2 watts, it is radiating that heat from a surface probably smaller than the end of your thumb. For those old enough to remember 4 watt incandescent night light bulbs, you would know those (which had a much larger surface area) could still burn your fingers.

2 Likes

Checked the bottom of mine with an IR thermometer. 131F.

Just surprised how hot it was when I went to swap out the SD card.

1 Like

What a cool (really no pun intended) analogy. Good work.

Took my outdoor base down found the hottest spot on the bottom temperature is 120 degrees.
I found the hottest spot on my modem and the temperature was 107 degrees
A wyze smart bulb is 150 degrees on cool white
a 60 Watt incandescent bulb Is running at 205 °F

1 Like

Well yeah, but lit lightbulbs are rarely resting directly on papers/plastics/kindling on a desk… Hope your bases aren’t too hot.

My base is hanging high up on the wall with a short piece of wire not much of the base is even touching the wall

1 Like

I don’t have an IR thermometer to measure the temp but my base station has been hanging on a light switch cover that is on top of drywall since February.

1 Like

Thanks everyone.

Not going to worry about it then. Can always 3D print me a base with active cooling if I get bored.

2 Likes

Oh , I forgot my beer is 37 °F :grin: :champagne:

2 Likes

Mine was in a cabinet and it was very hot. I moved it out of the cabinet in to the room (with AC) and it was still hot after 2 hours!

1 Like

Experiencing similar issue with heat on the bottom of the base station sitting inside the house with AC. While the base has vents on the bottom it sits flush to surface on all four sides no allowing for air to move. I added two strips of rubber with double sided tape on two sides of the base station (may have to add a little more height), I’ll let you all know if it helps with heat dissipation.

20200823_120122

2 Likes

Update, it’s been 12 days since I added the strips. Slightly cooler but Still pretty hot on the surface where it sits and on the bottom of the base station. going to raise it some more to see if that helps.

Without a thermometer your experiment isn’t yielding very much actionable data. :frowning: Still interesting.

1 Like

great point, it’s gone from 118.3F (First reading) degrees down to 115.5F (today’s reading) . It’s been a hot month here in Southern California and we keep the house at 75 degrees (thanks to our Solar System), the base station is is sitting in direct shot of the ceiling register which is why i was expecting lower temps after created the gap on the bottom of the base to allow for some airflow.

1 Like

Me too way too hot to leave unattended on wood desk for long periods of time. Any solution? Shouldn’t run this hot in an environment where it might be placed on potentially flammable surface.

Welcome to the Wyze community, @Homebody! I put a ceramic coaster under my base station and it works just fine. However, my BS hasn’t ever felt dangerously hot like some are describing.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right - knowing the numbers is the only way to be sure things are stable and maybe normal, or not…

I picked up one of these in July and have had great fun with it. :grin: So fast and can precisely target such small areas.

In sunny windows the tops of some V2s got to 140F but it was very repeatable and nothing melted or malfunctioned, yet…

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00837ZGRY

2 Likes