Wyze Lock: Choose Battery Type or Override Low Power Mode (e.g., rechargeable batteries)

Override for low battery message preventing calibration

The Wyze Lock is slow to identify battery charge level and often misidentifies low battery when there’s months of battery life left. After replacing batteries, there’s a low battery message that prevents a user from initiating calibration.
This wishlist request is for the app developers to add a bypass option, to allow users to proceed with lock calibration, even though the lock is, or has been sensing, low battery. This would resolve the main functional issues revolving around slow charge level measurement of new batteries as well as inaccurate assessment of rechargeable batteries.

The wish list for this product is so long as to be laughable, I meant the time of the wishes for which Wyze has known about it is rediculous. I looked at one hack where someone wired another battery! I mean WTF Wyze, you could fix this with some resources directed at a firmware update where it could sense the voltage or amperage of a rechargeable battery. Regardless all the complaining on this forum have changed nothing. My opinion of this company has changed from really thinking that were a great company to one that keeps pumping out products but supporting them very poorly yet they put tremdous energy into continuing to send me notifications to subscribe to their service for camera recording to make additional income. The camera could very easily record without the subscription they have simply disabled a users ability to do so. Sorry Wyze I don’t like you much anymore.

1 Like

Agreed. It seems like they don’t care enough to respond to longstanding issues that appear to be easily fixed by an app update. Perhaps they’re thinking they need to do more work than what we’re asking. We don’t need the lock firmware to accurately measure battery capacity for all types of batteries in very short amounts of time… all we need is an ignore option for the low battery warning for calibration - the lock would function normally after calibration with a battery icon that may or may not be accurate (who cares).
The least they could do is have someone explain why they can’t or won’t implement solutions for these common issues with their product.

Did you find a place that describes how to dismantle the lock without damaging it, in order to add the extra battery/tray in series?

No dismantling required. I basically put another battery in series with the others. If you want a simple diagram…

Pretty simple, I just took some tape, stuck aluminum foil to it so it’s conductive on one side. Connect the positive of the bottom battery to the negative of the extra battery, Connect the positive of the extra battery to the negative of the top battery. Don’t let the top and the bottom batteries connect. Shouldn’t be too hard since the tape is non conductive and the tape is back to back sandwiched between the top and the bottom battery.

If you got the battery tray instead you’d have two wires which you can jam between the top and the bottom battery, just separate the two wires with a separator like a piece of tape.

Or you could just take the solution I did which is buy those special lithium ion batteries that output 1.5v for a cleaner solution.

Thanks. Yea, I was thinking of doing the tray option and imagined that the top terminals would be connected by a wire for the 4 existing batteries to be in series - which would be an easy way to add the 5th battery/tray. Those Jugee might be a more pretty solution, but they’re 2x as expensive even at 40% off. I guess I should just go with that. My wife will appreciate the better looking solution and it’ll save me the time of doing the project. Is that what you would have done, or have done, in the end?

Yeah that’s what I’m using now. There are just a few things that require higher voltages to work, like two scales that use triple A’s and these door locks so I just pulled the trigger and bought a large pack. They still work well.

Just submitted an order for 8 since I’ve got a couple of Wyze locks.
You took the time to post about your various solutions and respond - It is appreciated.
Thank you.

I received the batteries, charged them, and verified that they’re all ~1.525 volts. I put them in the Wyze lock and within 5 minutes, my low battery warning is gone! Problem solved; no recalibration message.
Thank you @franknozly for the great idea.
I’ve been living with the low battery warning on my Tenergy rechargeable batteries on two Wyze locks for 6 months. I had to recharge them at least once a month. I’ll post again if there are future issues with these Jugee rechargeable batteries; but I’m hopeful and expecting they’ll work well. Total cost was $34.83 for 8 AA batteries and their charger.

I bought 4 of these Ni-Zn batteries, based on a recommendation in this forum:Shop EBL Rechargeable Ni-Zn AA Batteries and AA AAA Ni-Zn Battery Charger – EBLOfficial .

They work alright, and I only have to recharge them every few months, but there have been 2 issues to deal with:

1. There have been several batteries that were either dead out of the box or died after a few uses. The seller was pretty good about sending replacements.

2. There is very little warning when the batteries need recharging. They show at 100% on the Wyze app until a day or so before they drop to zero. So you need to stay on top of that.

Despite those issues, I have not bought disposable batteries for my Wyze locks for over a year, so I guess I’m coming out ahead financially (?).