Wyze Light Strip: The Ultimate Set-your-vibe Light - 7/13/21

The LEDs appear to be the same visually, but the control circuitry, and thus the software, appear to be quite different. Also, the Pro version has a thick coating over the circuitry.

I figured that the software was the difference but forgot about the coating.

Any idea what LED driver the strips use? WS2815’s perhaps?

No idea, other than they are not WS2815s. The images I see for that are not the same.

I guess we are going to have to wait for someone to get one to find out.

They are LEDs. They light up. Why does it matter?

1 Like

Because I’m looking for a reason to buy them and if they use a standard type led then when I’m disappointed with the Wyze app, I can use them with something more to my my liking.

Who defines what ‘standard’ is? What you have been previously exposed to? I suspect even if you want to try to reuse WS2815s you will find the support circuitry is proprietary. So unless all you are interested in doing is unsoldering WS2815s to use elsewhere, that will have little value to you. If that is all you intend, then just buy a box of WS2815s?

I’d think all the support circuitry would be in the controller and the strips are some common led strip already on the market.

Standard to me means one of the choices supported by fastled or wled.

Those specs support many LED types. Maybe better to ask if the Wyze strips support those specs instead of just a WS2815? Why a WS2815?

I think most people just want LED light strips, and $25-30 isn’t beyond giving something a try.
If it is, they can wait for reviews?

No particular reason I mentioned the WS2815, other than they are common 12v addressable leds.

human interface needed. same for all of Wyze lighting products. I could sort of get by with limited use with motion sensors, but really need a switch. Can’t always use voice commands and using your phone to turn on lights when you enter a room is just stupid, not smart lighting at all.

I use contact sensors as switches. You can buy it 3D print little brackets for them to act as normal light switches. I flick it up, lights turn on, I flick it down, lights turn off. And since they’re wireless, I set those switches up anywhere. I put one on our bed head board that dims and turns off the lights in the master bedroom, while the switch at the entrance to the room makes it bright instead. Same for lots of rooms.

For my office I have a motion sensor that automatically turns the light on an off based on whether I’m in there (off when clear for 10 minutes).

Pretty easy to just turn a contact sensor into a light switch. You can buy cheap brackets on places like Etsy or download a 3D printer blueprint for them a few places.

It comes with a physical controller that can be used to turn it on or off, or change colors or modes. Many people put it with the lights, so if they are behind a cabinet the switch is back there too – you just reach around and touch it.

img_product-contents_single-reel_1

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Color Bulb set precise color & temperature

Few questions.

1. Can you control each individual LED or just a zone?
  2. It says 16 zones, I assume 16ft strip has 160 LEDs, so 10 LEDs per zone?
  3. Do you set same color for each zone or can you have diff colors within a zone?

Does anyone know what the official lumen output is? I saw on the specs page it reads:

“Red(1.0lm/LED at 20mA) *30pcs/meter)”

Does this mean that the red color is 1 lumen times 30 (so 30 lumens) in 1 meter? If so, that’s only 90 lumens in about 9 feet which seems on the dimmer side to me…can anyone confirm is (or better yet, what lumens “white” light produces)?

I just want to make sure this would be a good product for under cabinet lighting for my kitchen…

Thanks!

I had the same concerns for the same use. That is why I only bought 1 Pro Light Strip for now. I did watch their promo video a few times and in one scene it implies that when used as under cabinet lights it was pretty bright. Guess I’ll find out in a couple of months.

Same here. The video does imply bright under-lighting - it’s just hard to imagine 30 lumens per meter looking that way. Maybe they meant to say 300 lumens which would get closer to some other products that offer similar output? (e.g. some popular brands through Amazon tout 1100 lumens for 9.8 feet - which is about 336 lumens/meter…)

Yeah seems dim. All I know is I preordered the pro but am skeptical that their price point and peroduct will be severely outmatched. I own a lot of RGB/RGBIC strips from all kinds of vendors with the majority now with Govee. My preorder actually cost more than Govee’s mainline RGBIC’s at twice the length and about the same as their brand new pro versions with the big difference being in the software. Wyze as of late hasn’t been the best with meeting their own claims to product functions and it seems once they get it released it is long waits for the updates and firmware that adds the skills. I did hear they are possibly finally close to adding the alexa skill for the robot vacuum which I really do hope comes but like the 3 in 1 temp sensors are MIA, Alexa built in to the buds pro and the buds reg both not built in (found you can still connect her just iuts her being the smart one and not the other way around). I really hope that the robot vacuum does get the integration and those temp sensors for the thermostat get made. Anyways Govee has an enormous community and right from the box their strips have 60+ themes, 4-8 music modes, very robust DIY section, and they have themes every month where new ones are created by them for use. You can share and use any other creators effects too so it never gets old. I’m sure their lights will be adequate and I really like the brand but yeah that will be hard to compete unless they bring their prices down

1 Like

Thanks so much, Superdeleted, for the additional info - that’s really helpful! I think I’m going to “wait and see” on the Wyze strips, or perhaps just purchase some Govee in the meantime. I appreciate it!