Wyze Finally Works With Google Assistant!

Can anyone from Canada confirm if you can cast the v2 or doorbell to a chromecast?

Following the instructions I’m able to successfully link Wyze to Google home, but my google home does not recognize the commands for showing the cameras on the chromecast. Instead it brings up options from a Google /YouTube search.

I’ve already tried relinking my wyze account in the Google home app. The home app can see the devices fine but there’s no way to trigger the camera cast manually.

“show the driveway camera on chromecast”

The 90 degree issue with the doorbell notification on the phone does not exist if you remove it from CamPlus fully. Myself and another Wyze member did a test as demonstrated by LifeHackster (on YouTube).

I am sure this is something that can be corrected as I would assume (yes assume) that the AI processing is potentially where the image is being rotated. Again, my assumption.

The Alexa issue is something different, I believe.

2 Likes

Is that just for notification thumbnail rotation, or has anyone tried this with an Echo show too?

WITH Cam Plus it definitely shows up rotated on Echo Shows. Has anyone tried it without Cam Plus? Is it still rotated sideways?

I have not tried it on my show, I only tried on the phone with the thumbnails. I will try the show tomorrow and see.

However, I would expect it won’t make a difference as one is the notification side and the other is a Live Stream. But would be interesting if it did work.

Not sure what is happening and why it is launching YouTube. This is not something we are controlling since this is in the NLP from Google. As an alternate, I think you can also say “Cast on ”. The last option is I would suggest to try to give the camera a different name in google home app.

2 Likes

It’s on going but we don’t have feedback yet. I know we found an issue that needed to be corrected so one less bugs so far and we are continuing to test.

3 Likes

Aha! This one worked, thanks so much for the suggestion… This is awesome!

“Cast the driveway camera on chromecast”.

Couldn’t get doorbell to cast though, is that one not supported yet?

The cam plus only push notifications with sideways thumbnails on Android phones issue is supposed to be fixed in a future update. It’s a bug.

4 Likes

That’s good news. It does not bother me that much since the actual video plays correctly. Thanks for letting me know.

1 Like

Mine never have been sideways

1 Like

As @cheaplikeafox mentioned, this only seems to occur with some Android devices.

1 Like

I edited my comment to specify it was only happening on Android phones. Sorry I did not specify earlier!

This thread has jumped tracks onto a Doorbell train. Back to the Google Assistant track - I found a solution to most of my Nest Home Hub streaming issues, it’s simply broadband access speed. The awful 15 second latency remains, but at least there’s fairly stable streaming not available previously.

Previously I had sucky DSL internet - 12 Mbps rated - and couldn’t ever get a stable Wyze cam streaming display on my Home Hub. I even bought an Echo Show 8 but it still stumbled. Recently CL offered me a 30 Mbps plan (I later found out that T-Mobile just set up a 5G home broadband tower <1 mile away, ain’t competition wonderful!), and my streaming problems went awaaay! though I still mostly have to hot start to display on the Hub. No issues streaming on the Echo Show at all.

So what’s going on? Let’s look at the upload speeds here, since the cameras are sending and anyway the download access would be adequately fast for 1080 video. With the new 30 Mbps plan (hey, I live in a forest), the DSL upload speed is consistently 1.5-1.8 Mbps (and all is copacetic), but the old 12 Mbps only provided 0.6-0.8 Mbps upload (and Wyze streaming to the Hub was a stumbling mess).

Checking out the bandwidth indicator on the Wyze app (which uses its own specialty protocols, no problems) shows 80 - 120 KB/s in Apple apps and 80-120 kBs on Android. Since kb/s and kB/s are very different things, which is it, bits or Bytes? It’s obvious on the scale of things that it’s Bytes.

1 Megabit/s = 125 Kilobytes/sec (kB/s)

So now it’s clear that my old stumblebum DSL speed of <0.8 Mbps (bits, 100 kB/s) was not gonna cut it when the Cam is constantly squirting out > 100 kB/s and totally choking the narrow 0.8 Mbps channel (like Suez but with lots and lotsa Ever Greens and smallers all jostling).

“Hub choke” manifested for me as a black streaming screen with a timeline play bar sweeping L to R continually. Many of the gripes (justifiably) in this thread will recognize this behavior.

So there we have it. I wonder how many other folk with Hub issues have DSL (DSL always has bitsy upload speed). Maybe there are other problems too, but I for one am finally in the clear - all good on my Echo Show (WebRTC protocol) and OK hot start on my Hub (WyzeFrederik says they’re working toward WebRTC). WebRTC should get rid of the latency issue with the Hub too.

I think that Wyze ought to nail down the requirements and include the minimum speeds in their Cam specifications.

WyzeFrederick knows about this, ForumModerater Loki gets thanks for a good kb/s discussion from yesteryear May '18. Most Forum members adhere to high standards and help show these problems are not just one off, thanks!

2 Likes

You have a different problem. I have wifi 6 and 500Mbps at home and the solution is still far from ideal

3 Likes

Huh! Well I don’t have Hub Choke anymore, so I’m good now.

Guess there’s other issues for some. Is your issue the Hub Choke black screen when “streaming” to the Nest Hub, or something else?

Yes, this thread is about the inconsistent streaming and lag between the camera and Google hub devices

Thanks, yes I still have the wholly unacceptable 15 second latency after the pretty reliable hot start. Then the Hub shows the lagged stream for several minutes before buffering on and off till quitting. Not good, but much better than my Nuthin At All before popping above the WAN speed threshold. I can use it in my case.

Fingers crossed for Wyze to implement WebRTC like on the perfectly working Echo Show,

1 Like

Hi Frederik, any update on the new implementation? When should we expect it to go live?

1 Like

We are in the middle of testing with Google. It’s up to them to tell us when they are think this is ready to go Live.

8 Likes

Nice! That’s great news. Thank you for the update Fredrik

1 Like