Wyze Doorbell vs Ring Doorbell

:slight_smile: . I thought the same. Never had an indoor chime. I actually utilize the wall chime and Alexa Devices around the house. For me, using Alexa makes it more palatable.

Yeah, I mean, I could probably come up with a creative way to hide the chime. I just liked how it sounded. Itā€™s not fancy looking, but it had a purpose. Iā€™m not a fan of redundant things taking up wall space. I dunno, itā€™s hard to explain.

I used my ring doorbells with my echos and my fire tv / tablet(with show mode) in addition to the chime.

The ring doorbells are Gen 1, and crappy videoā€¦ But good enough for its purpose and used the existing chime. I use an alexa routine to turn my front porch light on (Wyze bulb) when thereā€™s motion at the front door.

But since these 2 doorbells are not working as they should, motion isnā€™t being detected, the front doorbell isnā€™t showing its hardwired, and no longer rings my chime. I took the whole shebang off today to test the chime and my chime works and getting power and touching the wires to complete the circuit at the door rings the chimeā€¦ So itā€™s definitely a ring issue.

Bypassing the Wyze chime doesnā€™t seem difficult. While I was testing stuff today I compared the wiring to the wiring in the Wyze Doorbell install video and itā€™s the same.

Assuming I can get over the not working with my chimeā€¦ Does Wyze chime ring instantly? Is there any delay? Does the video appear quickly?

If ring support canā€™t or wonā€™t replace these doorbells or fix the issues Iā€™m having Iā€™m probably going to move over to Wyze for the doorbell. Iā€™d also considered getting one through my alarm company, but the price tag is steeper than I want to pay.

I hate deciding between neat gadgets. :joy:

1 Like

If you own a Wyze Video Doorbell or Wyze Lock, please fill out this survey! We will use your responses to improve our products :door: :bellhop_bell:

2 Likes

Hello. Just my experience with Ring - I have had a Ring Doorbell for several years. I had one of the original versions and started getting the blackouts, just like what was mentioned. I reached out to Ring and they replaced it for free (credit for the value of the original cost). Instead of getting an older version, I got one of the newer V3 doorbells. Mine has worked like a charm, Not one issue and very few if any false notifications. I have not tried the WYZE doorbell since I have no reason to get rid of my Ring, so I cannot give a comparison between the twoā€¦Sorry. Iā€™m a huge WYZE fan, supporter and owner (multiple cameras; WOC, V3ā€™s, Pan Cams, Outdoor Plugs, Robo Vac, Handheld Vac., etc.).

1 Like

I would buy the Wyze doorbell. The image is much clearer than the Ring Doorbell Pro and going back in time is much easier than with the Ring. Notifications are quicker also.

1 Like

Does anyone have an image of the WYZE picture? This is an image of my Ring 3. Iā€™d like to compare them.

1 Like

I literally installed the Ring doorbell on my parents home this week which enabled me to compare features. The biggest downside for Wyze Doorbell is the insignificant/generic notifications. When someone rings the doorbellā€¦the notification is no different than any other mundane notification (i.e. new email, cnn breaking story, etc.), all which are easily ignored. The notification goes straight to the phones notification drawer and gets lost among the hundreds of other notifications I get on a daily basis.

The Ring on the other hand wakes up my phone screen with a large ā€œprominentā€ window on top of my other apps and has a very distinct sound of a ā€œdoorbell chimeā€. There is no ignoring or mistaking that someone is at the doorā€¦the phone literally goes nuts.

I hope this is something that Wyze is working on. It is the only reason I didnā€™t recommend Wyze Doorbell to my parents when they asked which one they should get. Other than the notification issue, everything else is great.

3 Likes

Cloudy day in Michigan.

1 Like

Does the WYZE Doorbell give false notifications for trees moving or shadows, etc. just like all their cameras? I have Cam Plus on all my cameras and still get numerous false notifications and a slight delay in notifications to my phone. With Ring I do not get any false notifications and instant phone notifications.

I know WYZE is much cheaper, but donā€™t want to get my in-laws the WZYE Doorbell if it does not operate better than their cameras w/Cam Plus. Appreciate the feedback, very helpful.

When I first got it, the camera picked up everytime a car drove down the street or drove in the parking lot. But in playing with it, setting the sensitivity to very low, it now only picks up when someone walks up to the door or rings the bell. Or when a box truck drives into the lot. There is no fish-eye distortion in the pic, and you can zoom in manually if you want.

Sensitivity works out well if you play with the setting. Itā€™s the lack of notification when someone rings the bell I have a problem with.

1 Like

MicroCenter had the Wyze Doorbell in stock a week ago when I picked up my second one at my local store. If they are in stock, you can reserve a kit for pickup within the next day or two. No internet orders (except for store pickup). Pickup saves the shipping charges, but there is some upcharge from what Wyze charges, plus local sales tax. Plus, you get it a lot sooner than through the mail ā€“ just need to live near one of the few MicroCenter stores. I hope you do and that they are still in stock there.

1 Like

My 2 centsā€¦no experience w/ring, but I have read enough and talked to too many people who are not happy with their ring doorbell to know I didnā€™t want the hassle.

Happy with all my Wyze stuff, so hooked a doorbell as soon as I could. Has been installed for a couple of months. Alexa works with it very wellā€¦Google not so much.

Pluses for meā€¦easy to set upā€¦small very attractive not a bulky albatrossā€¦separate chimeā€¦good video see the whole personā€¦donā€™t use it as a security camera use it as a doorbell, buy separate cameras for security the v3 is tops. Have sold several others on the Wyze and installed several.

1 Like

I have the Wyse doorbell and it appears to be impossible to set the sensitivity so that it is not triggered by moving shadows from my trees. The only solution that would fix my problem would be to move the doorbell which I cannot do because itā€™s hardwired. I am hopeful that Wise will eventually create a battery operated doorbell

1 Like

Have you tried setting the detection zone? I had the same problem with tree leaves and limbs blowing in the wind, and excluded the moving leaves and shadow areas from the detection zone. Just get into the settings (click on cog symbol at top right of view screen) and click on Detection Settings, then Detection Zone. Then click on all the small squares ro turn them dark where you have moving things you donā€™t want detected. Hopefully, there will still be enough light areas where you do want movement to trigger an alarm.
Good luck!

1 Like

Me personally i like ring better. Thereā€™s more functionality and the best part is when someone pushes my Doorbell the ring will show me video on my Echo Show 8 devices without having to explicitly ask. Wyze though i need to ask alexa and sometimes it doesnt work so i have to ask again and in that amount of time either the person walked away or i just pulled out my iPhone and opened the WYZE beta App and looked that way.

2 Likes

I ordered the doorbell from Amazon and got here yesterday. I swapped my nest doorbell with Wyze and checked the wiring. There is no power to the doorbell. The nest doorbell had power when I connected it back up. Nest needs 10vac and Wyze needs 16vac. My transformer shows about 18.4vac. I can get power via usb to the ā€œhiddenā€ port but want to use existing wires. Iā€™m picking up a doorbell kit from lowes later today to replace everything (besides the wires) and will give things another tryā€¦ The old doorbell is 21+ years old and the transformer is in my humid garage,ā€¦ worth a shot at least. Iā€™d stick with Ring, but the camera doesnā€™t work with my ISP for some reason (DNS likely), my Wyze cams all work without an issue.

So, I got my new eero mesh router set up and miraculously the live view and motion detection started working again. Ring doorbell still wonā€™t show up as hardwired, does not charge, and will not ring the chime. I did check and the chime works when I touch the wires together, so itā€™s getting power, Iā€™m gonna grab my multimeter and check the power levels.

If the problem is the ring doorbell, Iā€™ll see if ring will send me a new one. If they wonā€™t, then Iā€™ll probably pick up a doorbell off Amazon or see if the home depot has one next time I go out that way (since itā€™s not super close to where I live).

For now though, Iā€™m glad I have live view and motion detection. For what itā€™s worth, my netgear orbi isnā€™t even a year old yet, and itā€™s had a few updates so Iā€™m wondering if one of those updates messed with the wifi connection to ring. When I bought the orbi system last year I didnā€™t know you only get 60 or 90 days of support and after that you have to pay. Doubt Iā€™ll be buying netgear products in the future.

Microage in Tustin, CA price-matched the WOCā€™s I recently purchased (matching the price on at wyze.com)

SJ

1 Like

I
Thank you. I probably should have mentioned that I set the detection zones and the sensitivity.

It is next to impossible to set the detection zone to miss the shadows.

1 Like