Wyze Cam v3 Now Available! - 10/27/20

Nice, that will work. I can just select “Near” and then add a larger 940nm IR illuminator to invisibly light up the whole area when it’s too dark for the starlight sensor and color viewing.

Since you have an external illuminator you can just set the built-in lights to ‘off’. The settings only turn the built-in lights on & off, they don’t change the sensitivity of the camera sensor or the focus.

2 Likes

A separate firmware branch for RTSP is NOT a move in the right direction. Your v2 debacle with rtsp should have at least taught you that.

If nothing else, if you didn’t learn from that, at least don’t duplicate the error!!!

I am also quite disappointed that your unable to edge process PD/object detection. If my $10 RaspberryPi zero can process definable object recognition, your new cam with twice the horsepower of v2 should have been a slam dunk.

2 Likes

I had posted a couple of screen shots above that were made at 8:50 pm, (Wyze Cam v3 Now Available! - 10/27/20 - #280 by mvb)
The V3 night vision was off, There were no lights on outside, except if you look closely, you can see a line in the yard. That is the light from my lamp post in the front yard, around the corner of the garage on the right, And you can see the reflection of the trees in the glass tabletop.

On your R8000, I flashed mine with dd-wrt firmware, I use it as my dedicated IoT AP and it has been absolutely flawless. I have over 45 client devices with no issues. Just a thought.

@UserCustomerGwen Thank You Wyze for somewhat listening to your customers… This is almost exactly what we (or at least I) wanted.

Falls short on a couple of things but not determintal, hoping those are future possibilities: an internal battery back-up option for if power is ever cut or lost (I run my wifi/internet and security system on a UPS for this reason); PIR sensor (not a big big deal but would be nice to help stop moving shadow/flying bug motion clips).

Kind of a big let down with the not eligible for free shipping deal. I was considering buying 5+ of the v3 (maybe as high as 10) but now have to rethink those numbers slightly (I will still be buying but maybe not that many as planned)…

The other let down is you guys tease the accessories like the light and outdoor plug but give no details whatsoever which makes me contemplate on holding off on my purchase altogether… without knowing how these would integrate or fit into my set-up I am hesitant to buy because I don’t won’t to spend money, time, and effort in trying to set these new cams up only to find out I could have saved time, money and/or frustration if I had waited for these accessories to come out…

Truthfully if they are close to release or are a definite release without an exact timeframe, why not either wait and release them together or at least release possible details on how these might work and could possible effect customers set-ups at the release of this product?

2 Likes

I get where you are coming from. And even felt that way myself. But having actually paid for a comprehensive site survey and setup a mix of routers and access points and done extensive testing and only seeing a problem with Wyze products not Ring, Arlo, Eufy, Amazon, Apple, Meross, Eve, etc I am forced to conclude the issue is Wyze specific.

While I have indeed moved on I keep two Wyze cameras up. One I use in my office just to see how it holds up, the other is hooked to a battery pack and I use it for adhoc monitoring needs.

While neither experiences frequent issues both lose connectivity, have missing footage on the SD card and video stuttering issues. I keep updating the firmware hoping for a fix but so far no go.

This is great news! Will the software be improved over time to take advantage of the faster processing as well?

Modeling after something like Google Nest Cam’s scrolling playback and tagging would be amazing…

2 Likes

Is she a Labrador Retriever? The same thing happens at my house.
Not much motion right now though.

2 Likes

No, she’s a Boxer. Right now she’s sleeping, too :slight_smile: but usually is running or moving all day long.

I have to agree that the issue with the errors from Cam Plus and all really need to be fixed first before doing all of this. If I’m going to have the same issues with everything uploading to the cloud it’s going to happen whether I get the new V3 or keep with the current V2s. So I understand where he’s coming from.

I understand where you coming from.

However, during my testing with the new V3, I couldn’t believe how much faster this cam connected over the v2. I did a lot of testing on the V3 and not once did I have any connectivity problems or it going offline…even on the roof of my house.

I did a 16 hour time lapse pointed to the stars from the roof of my house, and the results were pretty amazing.

Just speculating, as far as staying connected, I think a lot may be the difference with everyone’s Wi-Fi network or ISP and how much interference is close by. I don’t have many neighbors out here where I live so I’m sure that helps.

The v2 doesn’t hold a candle beside the V3 especially for the same price. :grin: The IR Lights are unbelievable on the v3. My yard is extremely dark at night but check out the IR lights on the v3. You definitely don’t need an external illuminator with the v3.

3 Likes

Same here. I am likely going to replace my wco cameras with the v3’s. Now what to do with my 2 WCO’s…

My own fault for not totally understanding the features of the WCO’s - I need the ability for continuous recording to the micro SD card.

1 Like

That’s possible. However I just changed my Router (again). And my ISP from AT&T DSL to Spectrum cable. All in the last month. Routers it turns out don’t get along well with Ginger Ale.

So I have a new Archer C3000 and really good speeds. Cameras still go offline. I even rotate through my drawer of V2’s to be sure it’s not just a specific camera.

2 Likes

It seems to be an unsolved mystery. I don’t have speeds near that good but everything stays connected 96% of the time.

1 Like

Did you ever have problems with the V2/V1/PTZ, that the V3 fixed? Just curious because I have seen some discussion on here where people are admit its not their network…then come back on a month later and say they got a new router and it works perfect now. @rbruceporter i know this isnt your scenario and from what you have written you have extensively tested with different network setups.

I have 3 V2’s, 1 WCO, sensor pack, scale (also have V3, doorbell, thermostat on order) I live in an apartment with a ton of competing signals, and have never had a problem with any Wyze product randomly disconnecting - and thats with a isp provided router. My internet will go out or hiccup about once a week, and even after that they all reconnect on their own and work. I have also installed 5 V2’s at my sisters house…she initially had some issues on the far side of her 5000 sqft home, while discussing it with her she said her laptop didnt work their either…well thats obviously a problem with the network - we went through a couple routers/AP/mesh setups before we found one that works - and since she has not had a problem (and i would know if she did, not tech savvy at all and i would have gotten a call immediately, lol). I have also installed V2’s at a friends house in rural WI, he has had some issues, but most are from his isp. He will call and say the camera is down, so i’ll ask about something us that uses the internet and when he tries that also doesn’t work.

Its weird that some have recurring issues with something as basic as the camera connecting to the network, and many others (myself included) have never really had an issue. I can’t help but wonder if it wasn’t a manufacturing issue for a limited number of cams…or if there is something in the cache of cameras that got fixed going forward but for cams that it affected updates are unable to clear it out… In any event hopefully the V3 will work for those who have had issues.

1 Like

Did you just have this issue since going to Spectrum? I too have Spectrum with close to those speeds and have a lot of issues myself. Just curious if this is a Spectrum problem. Mine isnt so much connectivity but with issues of events uploading and downloading to the cloud

I have spectrum with almost those exact speeds, and I have no issues - what do you have for a router/network?

I’m still using Version’s provided router and I have added several AP’s around the house including a 3 pod meshforce system that improved my network tremendously.
As far as fixed issues, I’ve been one of the fortunate ones to have very few problems with my v2 cams. My Cam Pan has worked from day one verses many have had tons of issues with it. I don’t have a v1 cam that was before my time. Lol

I’m guessing it’s a little early to answer your question entirely until the v3 gets out to masses. I’m hoping the V3 will solve a lot people’s issues but time will tell.

My router is Sagemcom Model RAC2V1S