Wyze Cam Outdoor cameras - constantly offline

Sure anything can help when connections are poor. But when you move an outside camera from outside to inside and the connection immediately improves or stabilizes, and the only thing that was between the camera and base was a brick wall, then the quality of the device is obviously the issue. I know that others perform better in the same situation, like Blink, Nest or even generic ip cameras. So putting something in a white cube to make it look cool isn’t the answer…better tech is.

2 Likes

Tried this multiple times. Still the same issue.

INTERESTING BEHAVIOR:

This happened to me for the first time this week. All four cameras went offline at the same time. I’d been rewiring the charging station and networking center in the garage. This powered down the base station and caused everything to go offline. One would expect that they would all reconnect once the base station was back live, but no … this does not happen.

The interesting behavior I noted is that when I power-cycled just ONE camera, the remaining three also reconnected. Apparently just “bumping” one camera awakened the base station to find the others.

so lots of issues…especially with cameras…a company whose business model is based on a percentage of returns to volume sold ratio doesn’t care about breakdowns…they will just sell more…so customers get stuck with the product. They don’t respond to the hard cases in these posts. The CSR’s aren’t equipped to deal with them. I wonder how many people just trash them and go to more reliable systems. As noted before I have four Blink cameras at another home and they just keep on working inside and out. I had nest and it never failed. I use Sinope smart thermostats for my heat and they never fail. I use an off-brand 220 volt switch for water heater and pump - never failed. So it isn’t the setup, the environment, the distance, line-of-sight…it’s inferior components. Unfortunately you get what you pay for.

1 Like

100% correct and I’v been reporting this for over a 1yr. You will be deemed a loon from those here from Form admins or sudo Form helpers.

I will wear the Loon moniker with great pride!

most companies want 99.999% satisfaction…but you can still make money at 95%.

I have my base connected via ethernet and have never had the cams go off line since October 2020 except when Xfinity decides to kill the network once or twice a year. About every 3-4 months I have trouble connecting to the 4 cams and they do that 3 of 3 dance. I just power cycled the base via smart plug and one cam will come back up instantly and the other three will come back within the next 1-2 minutes.

My biggest issue with the Wyze outdoor cams…

They all work, but I cannot connect to the live video ever since the last update.

And I pay for Cam Plus.

3 Likes

that’s not the problem…my outdoor camera will not work outdoors as it cannot penetrate a wall…it works perfectly on the inside of the building…what’s the point?

My 4 cams are on 4.17.4.124 and base is on 4.16.2.66. The last base update was suspended just after it was issued version 4.16.3.117. I have no issue with live stream.

All 4 of my cams work outdoors, I guess it depends on the building. I have cams at 45 feet, 40 feet, 35 feet and 15 feet. Three of the four have a signal that goes through 4 walls.

Is it an option to relocate your base station? If the signal is too weak you’ll need to find a new home for the base station. Higher is better than lower, and with as few obstructions between it and the camera as possible.

I’m having the same issue; I can rarely get live video. It’s so annoying.

Two features of “cheap” are inconsistent product quality and inability to meet reliability standards. A security camera should be 99.999 per cent. As said before if you can tolerate ten or fifteen percent failure and still make a lot of money, well …

1 Like

I have been a vocal critic of the camera in this thread before, but mysteriously it has been 100% fine for last 6+ months. I took it to a completely different part of the house to recharge the other day and it stayed connected to the base! I know that doesn’t help if your camera is down or unreliable but just for completeness of info….

The best solution I’ve found so far is to remove the cameras from the base station, unplug the base station, and then deposit all parts in the garbage. They work exactly as you’d expect them to from inside the dumpster.

3 Likes

I did the same thing. Wyze outdoor battery cameras blow…I love my V3 s also but slowly building my ring system ,I have 3 stick up cameras and never have a problem. I have 13 wyze cameras and half of the time they are offline… SMH

same here. I’d also have to power cycle my outdoor camera

I bought the outdoor V2 battery camera because I thought I would be better than the first version yeah it’s got a better picture but the performance is terrible and the battery goes down very fast and it’s in a spot with very low traffic it’s just on my porch pointing at the front door couple notifications a day that’s it I had it in another spot in the backyard but with a lot of trees blowing around it picks up every little movement and even trying to block out those trees it still picks up the movement and drains the battery quick it’s just not a good camera

1 Like