Wyze App 2.9 Released - 3/9/20

This appears to have fixed the previous version playback issue, at least for me in initial testing.

“may it rest in pieces” :joy:

Exactly. I figure it’s pretty well Un-hackable after it gets hit. The first shot put a big hole in it, second shot hit it edge on and it literally disintegrated. I do factory reset them etc but to be honest I really really distrust Google. So better safe than sorry.

2 Likes

As an early adopter from 11/2017 and up to today, I recall that the App and Wyze documentation always stated support with Android 5.0 and never mentioned support for prior versions. 5.0 was always the base. If this means that Android 5.0 support is about to disappear, how will I be able to use and interact with my 46 Wyze devices? If all my devices were to suddenly become obsolete because I had no means of interacting with them, I wasted a great deal of time and money as a Beta tester and customer. And, I’m not in a position to spend $1100 for a new phone just to get a higher version of Android. Please say it ain’t so.

1 Like

Unfortunately with android and with Apple iOS there becomes a point when an operating system is older and I hate to say it obsolete and they have to abandon it and move on. It just happened with the newest Apple iOS 13. Anything older than an Apple iPhone 6 was not updated. That’s where they drew the line. It’s unfortunate but with technology growing at such a fast pace there’s going to be a point where some piece of your technology is going to be too old to keep up. And I understand not being able to afford $1100 phone. Not very many people can. Maybe there’s some kind of promotion where you can get a free phone if you extend your contract or something I don’t know I’m just thinking out loud.

I’m seeing the same as peepeep.

Samsung Galaxy Tab (2016) aka SM-T580
Android 8.1.0

“older or lower end tablets” I think not…

1 Like

I am on iOS and have yet to receive the update.

1 Like

Fellow iOS user nay I ask model? My 8+ updated fine

False alarm, I misread the version number.

1 Like

Happens to the best of us buddy don’t worry about it

I have the same problem as peeppeep and lodbrok7.
Play Store indicates my device (Android 6.0.1) is not compatible with the Wyze app … there is no download button.

1 Like

I know it’s frustrating but there are ways around buying a new phone.
You are eventually going to hit the same wall with most of your apps.

Chances are Wyze app 2.8.24 will work for a long time with cameras, maybe not the new devices like bands. Download a copy of the 2.8.24 .APK and store it away for the future. You will have to allow Sideloading of apps by going to Settings > Security > Unknown sources.
This is a safe copy of v2.8.24: Wyze - Make Your Home Smarter 2.8.24 APK Download by Wyze Labs Inc. - APKMirror

Option 2. - Most S4’s can be rooted and updated to Oreo (Android 8.0) fairly easily.

Option 3. - Buy a newer used device. You can get a used S8 for <$300.

2 Likes

I’ve got a captured APK of v2.6.42 available as well if anyone wants it for posting, etc.

I bought a Cheap Ohn Tablet w/ Android 10 on it and play store told me that Wyze was not available for it either. I took angus’s advice and put APK 2.8.24 on it, Works like a champ…It’s not 2.9, but it works fine on all 6 of my Cams. 1/2 V2’s, 1/2 Pans…

1 Like

Let me revise that, I just Checked APKPURE and they’ve updated the site. V2.9 is there now!

1 Like

v2.9 was there when I posted the link to v2.8.
The link was for people with older versions of Android that may not run v2.9. Chances are v2.9 will work fine for them too though.
Google has some odd rules when it comes to app development.

Agreed, I checked the site on the 13th, and it was still at 2.8. Just wanted to be accurate in my reporting…
I was just surprised that the play store was refusing to recognize anything at Android 10. Weird…

1 Like

There are quality Android 10 phones that can be had for less than 1/2 that price.

Hi @WyzeGwendolyn – need some of your great skills :zap:

Latest version of Android app (2.9.29) adds several new permissions:

Directly call phone numbers
Draw over other apps
Set an alarm
Close other apps

It’s understandable they’re for future products
It’s understandable Wyze wants to add them early
It’s understandable how the first three might be used
The last one… not so much…

Wyze has earned some trust, so not implying nefarious intent, but Wyze shouldn’t be doing ANYTHING with my other apps

Please explain the specific purpose/use of that permission (asked Support without success)

5 Likes

Thanks, that is helpful advice.

1 Like