Wyze App 2.9 Released - 3/9/20

Those permissions will be relevant when we have the upcoming products (Wyze Band being a major contributor here). Some of the integration work has already been done in this app version. Thanks for checking in!

EDIT: Could folks please tell me when the permission request comes up? Is it during installation or when the app is open?

1 Like

It comes up when you choose to update the app. I denied the permissions, it updated and has been working great under Android 10 for the past 2 days.

There’s a lot more to the permissions than meets the eye… here’s what it would actually get if you allowed all that is asked for:
Screenshot_20200311-221847_Permission controller

You can click on each permission to see details. For example, the app wants access to my contacts, which I denied:

And here’s what I gave it… just Location, Microphone and Storage-related permissions:

1 Like

Yay! I noticed my Firmware update today!

Thankyou!

1 Like

After selecting the Wyze App for potential update in Google Play, but prior to selecting “Update”, I click on “What’s new in the app” and then review the requested permissions. In Android 5.0.1 on a Galaxy S4, there does not appear to be a function to deny any permissions. If I want to install the update to the App, I am forced to accept any permissions listed.

1 Like

Yes, unfortunately there’s no way to drill down into an installed app on that version of Android to approve/deny permissions. That came several versions later – not sure exactly when it became available as a feature. I rejoiced when it was finally available.

2 Likes

Just got this result in the Play Store when attempting to uninstall/reinstall the app:

The option to install is not present.

@UserCustomerGwen, is Wyze now excluding certain devices (with adequate OS version) from installing 2.9.24?

2 Likes

Thanks for the info about the permissions! I sent it to the folks requesting it.

@peepeep, could you please tell me what device model you were trying to install the app on? I’ve been hearing reports that some older or lower end tablets are having trouble. My suspicion is that some of the changes we made put them outside of the list of products able to be supported.

Hi Gwendolyn, it’s a Nexus 7 (2013), Android v.6.0.1

1 Like

Thank you! I sent that to the team.

2 Likes

I hope App support will remain available for Android 5 since I have a total of 46 Wyze devices and my only device to access and control them is a Samsung Galaxy S4 with Android 5.0.1 I’m still using the prior Android App 2.8.24 but if the new Android App 2.9.29 will not function on my Android 5.0.1 phone, OUCH!

1 Like

Admittedly, 5.0.1 is likely going to get dicey. We’ll support it as long as we can but, based on the version number, I’m betting that will be the next OS that we are no longer compatible with. We had to raise our Android compatibility to Android 5 at one point due to the added features and complexity in the newer app versions.

1 Like

This appears to have fixed the previous version playback issue, at least for me in initial testing.

“may it rest in pieces” :joy:

Exactly. I figure it’s pretty well Un-hackable after it gets hit. The first shot put a big hole in it, second shot hit it edge on and it literally disintegrated. I do factory reset them etc but to be honest I really really distrust Google. So better safe than sorry.

2 Likes

As an early adopter from 11/2017 and up to today, I recall that the App and Wyze documentation always stated support with Android 5.0 and never mentioned support for prior versions. 5.0 was always the base. If this means that Android 5.0 support is about to disappear, how will I be able to use and interact with my 46 Wyze devices? If all my devices were to suddenly become obsolete because I had no means of interacting with them, I wasted a great deal of time and money as a Beta tester and customer. And, I’m not in a position to spend $1100 for a new phone just to get a higher version of Android. Please say it ain’t so.

1 Like

Unfortunately with android and with Apple iOS there becomes a point when an operating system is older and I hate to say it obsolete and they have to abandon it and move on. It just happened with the newest Apple iOS 13. Anything older than an Apple iPhone 6 was not updated. That’s where they drew the line. It’s unfortunate but with technology growing at such a fast pace there’s going to be a point where some piece of your technology is going to be too old to keep up. And I understand not being able to afford $1100 phone. Not very many people can. Maybe there’s some kind of promotion where you can get a free phone if you extend your contract or something I don’t know I’m just thinking out loud.

I’m seeing the same as peepeep.

Samsung Galaxy Tab (2016) aka SM-T580
Android 8.1.0

“older or lower end tablets” I think not…

1 Like

I am on iOS and have yet to receive the update.

1 Like

Fellow iOS user nay I ask model? My 8+ updated fine

False alarm, I misread the version number.

1 Like