Here’s what I found…
When beta 126.96.36.199 was announced, all of my v3 cams were running beta 188.8.131.52 with no issues. I decided to update half of my v3 cams to 184.108.40.206. When I ran the individual firmware updates (not bulk update) on each cam, 220.127.116.11 was directly applied to 18.104.22.168 (no incremental staging). All of my v3 cams running 22.214.171.124 except two immediately experienced time stuttering, rebooting multiple time per hour and severe live stream issues. These issues occured only between sunrise and sunset. All affected cams ran perfectly between sunset and sunrise. Some of the affected cams autoswitch to night vision after sunset, some have NV mode off. Some run IR on at night, some don’t. All cams are running Cam Plus.
At sunrise this morning, all affected cams began having issues so I decided to flash two affected cams back to 126.96.36.199. I live streamed both cams for 3 hours with no issues encountered.
I decided to update both cams individually and found that instead of jumping to 188.8.131.52, the update applied was 184.108.40.206. I live streamed these cams for 1 hour and they were stable with the only problem encountered being that the time wouldn’t sync.
I decided to update both cams again, this time to 220.127.116.11. I live streamed the cams for an hour with no problems encountered. Time sync worked under this 18.104.22.168 update.
I decided to update both cams again, this time to 22.214.171.124. I live streamed the cams for an hour with no problems encountered.
I decided to update both cams again, this time to 126.96.36.199. I tried live streaming the cams, but both immediately suffered time stuttering, rebooting multiple time per hour and severe live stream issues.
After an hour of issues under 188.8.131.52, I decided to go back to 184.108.40.206 and incrementally update both cams up to 220.127.116.11. They have been running flawlessly for the past 4.5 hours.
It’s 15 minutes past sundown here and upon checking my problem cams that are still running 18.104.22.168… they are back to running perfectly… because it’s past sundown.
What have I learned?
The issues are somehow tied to sunrise/sunset. No issues surface between sunset and sunrise.
The issues are not related to heat. It is in the low 70s here at sunrise climbing into the 90s during late afternoon. Half of my affected cams are located indoors where it is a constant 72F degrees. The other affected half are outside in shade. Cams that I never updated are running 22.214.171.124 and in direct sun and have no issues. The 2 cams that I updated to 126.96.36.199 this afternoon ran flawlessly in direct sun at 95F degrees.
Other than being in the middle of a boot cycle, all affected cams write to the SD card fine and playback is not affected.
Other than being in the middle of a boot cycle, uploading Events and AI processing is not affected.
I have no idea why 2 of my cams are running 188.8.131.52 with no issues whatsoever.
The last known problem-free firmware version is 184.108.40.206.
When 220.127.116.11 was 1st pushed, we were at 18.104.22.168 so the update path was: 22.214.171.124 > 126.96.36.199
Today the update path is: 188.8.131.52 > 184.108.40.206 > 220.127.116.11 > 18.104.22.168 > 22.214.171.124
Summary of today’s testing:
- 126.96.36.199 stable
- 188.8.131.52 stable, but time sync fails
- 184.108.40.206 stable and time sync successful
- 220.127.116.11 stable and time sync successful
- 18.104.22.168 severe time stutters, rebooting, live stream issues
Hopefully, you find something meaningful in this. I’m leaving all cams as is until the next update. I have indoor and outdoor v3 cams running 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52. If there is some scenario you’d like me run to help debug, please let me know. I’m online every day multiple times per day.