Wyse 100mA power supply

Sounds to me like the missing variable in this discussion might be the quality of the wall power. :electric_plug:

I’ve been in places with modern wiring & reliable underground power lines, and I’ve been in BC (Before Code) homes with ungrounded outlets & rotting wood power pole lines swaying against the foliage.

Not accusing anyone here, but also the human variable and an easily overloaded circuit design built into the house.

Have been in a kitchen where the microwave makes a completely different and very unnerving sound when the coffee maker is running at the same time… :fearful:

Worst case was a late 1990’s office install where just one person had several CRT monitors and even the CPU box fail under warranty within the first few weeks. It took an almost ugly scene with the business owner to convince her to stop plugging a high power space heater into the same strip as the PC as soon as we walked out the door… :rage:

Soooo… unless we have watched the building being built or done a personal mapping of the outlets, there could be all sorts of unpleasant surprises hiding in the wall wiring layout which would easily exceed the Wyze design limitations. :persevere:

1 Like

Very true! My home was built in the early 70’s and utilized aluminum wiring. At a significant expense I had the condo’s load center replaced and every inch of wiring in the condo replaced and all outlets and switches replaced. Quite a few of the circuits had to be divided to meet modern code.

In the end we all paid an assessment to have the runs from the power meters to our individual load centers replaced. But the whole complex was a fire hazard so it needed to be done.

The whole reason I bring this up is that prior to having the work done plugging a vacuum in could cause the TV to shutoff. We had missing grounds and small 15 amp circuits that should have been 30 amps. Plus a few circuits that were ridiculously long. Not to mention aluminum wiring.

But now everything is correctly wired and grounded. It gives me great peace of mind.

1 Like

Mal: “I thought Kaylee just checked the entry couplings. I have a very clear memory of it!”
Wash: “Yeah well, if she doesn’t give us some extra flow from the engine room to offset the burn-through, this landing is going to get pretty interesting.”
Mal: “Define interesting.”
Wash: “Oh God, oh God, we’re all gonna die…”

That stuff was popular around here too. A real nightmare. Glad you’re safe now! :slightly_smiling_face:

So the entire electrical redo is a likely reason you’re having fewer issues maybe?

The silver lining! :grinning:

1 Like

Indeed, oh and nice to know of another “Firefly” fan! I do suspect I have had a number of unknown benefits from the rewire. I worked with a Journeyman in Florida many moons ago. He hated aluminum wiring due to the way it expanded and contracted over time.

He would not knowingly sleep in a house or whatever that had aluminum wiring. He called them wannabe crematoriums!

1 Like

Yikes. I kind of feel the same way about PEX plumbing connectors.

1 Like

Arrrggghhh! We had a home in Cary NC, it had the Pex C connectors that had the class action suit. We needed a “qualifying” leak to be documented before we could benefit.

Well we went to work one morning and a connector failed in the wall of the upstairs laundry. By the time we got home all the floors and walls on the first floor had to be replaced as did the ceilings in 3 rooms downstairs.

Needless to say we “qualified” just fine. Ended up costing them 5 times what a straight up replumb job would have. Of course they were and are counting on the law of averages.

Hmm, I never heard about a class action. The place I’m thinking of is also in NC. Just replacing simple undersink connectors even in 2018/2019 was a “maybe it won’t leak if I tug on it exactly THIS much” touch and go affair.

On the automation control question, I can’t believe I missed Home Assistant! It seems perfect for the kind of vendor independent, locally controlled off-cloud IoT standard I was hoping would exist. Seems that Nest, Blink, Yi, and many, many others are already on board, but not Eufy or Wyze. :frowning:

Home Assistant Integration - #170 by caustik

1 Like

This is a current one.

1 Like

I like the premise of Home Assistant but the reality leaves a lot to be desired. As such I bet on HomeKit/Homebridge as my answer. So far I have been happy. If you are at all invested in the Apple ecosystem it’s the way to go. If you are more invested in say Google/Android then I think Home Assistant may well be the solution.

I’m not invested in Google that way, no Home devices at all. I use both Android and iOS (mostly phones, some tablets tucked away that never get used) and Windows. Primary home automation is Alexa, which I’m pretty happy with overall. But as I’ve noted here before, I am concerned about the “cloud” / IoT house of cards we’re all living in.

The IoT environment is indeed worrisome. Again my ultimate goal is local only operation. HomeKit gets me part of the way there. But it really just trades multiple IoT vendors for one.

Sadly most folks don’t recognize the issues to be worrisome.

Hmm, just browsing around it sounds like the stock Wyze RTSP firmware will feed into Home Assistant, and they hacked in Wyze sensor support a year ago. And it will run on just about anything. Not bad!

1 Like

Yep same thing has been done for Homebridge. There are several Wyze plugins that handle the sensors and the standard ffmpeg plugin handles the Wyze cameras running RTSP.

It’s not the same as native support but it works.

:smile: When people say “Serenity Now!” most people think of one TV show, some people think of two TV shows… :smile:

Yeah, how “everyone” could have missed such an obvious physics principle is rather amazing. I vividly recall when I learned that steel bridges worked just like thermometers and could only be connected at one end. Useful information when putting frozen wrist pins into hot pistons! :wink:

There’s a vivid image!! But accurate…

How so exactly? All I know about Home Assistant is watching that one video that @Customer posted. Other than distinctly not being a point and click setup. it looked to have potential?

Especially regarding:

OTOH, I have enough Apple devices, but have never tried out HomeKit either…

I enjoyed the TV series and was disappointed when they pulled the show.
Firefly TV Series. 14 episodes.

But I was pleased they made and released a movie to wrap things up.
Serenity Movie

Actually, I went about it backwards - saw the movie - got hooked - then saw the show :laughing:

Home Assistant is a compromise like so many IoT automation platforms. Vendors are not incentivized to work with others. As such things like Home Assistant and Homebridge are dependent for the most part on hacks or API’s that are no where near complete.

HomeKit, Alexa, Google Assistant publish an API vendors can choose to implement. In Homekit’s case that choice often precludes the vendors own app. Then you have platforms like SmartThings which are not as widely adopted but they are a true platform. Home Assistant is headed that way as well.

It is a very muddled often mutually exclusive market with no clear “standards” yet. I think for sheer numbers Alexa (Amazon) is far out front. Heck they have Alexa toilets and toasters and even Rings! My buddy cobbled together an Alexa enabled litter box for his cats. He can ask Alexa to “Clean the cat box”!

1 Like

Middling integration compatibility is no reason to discount efforts like Home Assistant. The very commercial efforts are barely adequate at present in that regard! The Alexa skill integration with my robot vacuum is barebones, exposing a fraction of the abilities of the native app. Same with Alexa’s Wyze integration. Same with the Alexa to GE oven integration I configured just TODAY. The native app can see when the cooktop burners are on, for example, among other real time features. The Alexa skill can see (and control) only the oven.

No way am I (or most people) going to keep opening and closing a dozen different apps to control my home of the future.

If we’re going to only have subsets of functionality because of limited APIs, I’d sure rather they be subsets that are self contained in my house, under my control, and not subject to whether my ISP, Amazon, and/or Apple are in a good mood that day.

Don’t misunderstand me, I am not discounting anything. But I am being practical and honest. And frankly there is little incentive for vendors to cooperate. Hopefully that will change down the road but I am not going to hold my breath.

Simple example, print from your cell phone to your printer? If your cell phone is Apple and your printer supports AirPlay your all set. Anything else and it ranges from easy to impossible. With each vendor Canon, Epson, Brother, HP having their own app. Some 3rd party apps exist that claim to support multiple manufacturers but they have gaps and issues.

And it’s been this way for 20 years or more.

1 Like