Worst Customer Support!

Nope. Wyze still hasn’t fixed this issue.

Sigh. Well I just spent an hour talking to customer service last night going through all the basic troubleshooting steps. I thought I was making progress when they said

I will be reaching out to the team to look into this further. For now, I am going to move our conversation to email. Once I hear back, I will send you a follow-up email with what I find out.

Got an email from allegedly the same guy 24h later with the same pre-canned troubleshooting steps… #facepalm#

That’s the last Wyze product I buy…

In case a forum mod looks into this more, my ticket # is 1287075.
Same issue as everyone else. EVERY time my V2 cams turn on, regardless of any settings including night vision and IR, and whether it’s day or night, or where the cam is located, there is a loud click and 1 second later there is a pink flash. Sometimes the cameras log it as sound, sometimes they log it as motion due to the flash.
Started happening with the latest firmware.
Basically the notification service and recording is initiating before the camera has even finished initializing, and this is triggering a false alarm.

1 Like

FYI:
I resolved the issue by rolling back to the previous firmware.
Update your camera’s firmware to the older version 4.9.6.218 (November 18, 2020).

Follow the steps here: https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/articles/360031490871-How-to-flash-firmware-manually

Reported the issue, hopefully they take notice and fix it in the next firmware revision.

1 Like

And Wyze still hasn’t fixed this issue and I believe they have no intention to do so. Wyze used to be a great company, not so much anymore.

Hey Resist…
I finally got tired of waiting for a fix that wasn’t coming and made two sets of rules - one which turns the camera on, and a second which enables notifications a minute later.
We shouldn’t have to do it, but now I can run the latest firmware without having the issue.

… and the longer term fix is not to buy wyze products.

1 Like

But that doesn’t fix the pink flash issue. Oh and now all my V2 camera’s don’t identify anything that the AI is supposed to.

The issue is still technically there, but since alerts are off when it happens I don’t get notified.

I see, it would still bug me to have the video events of the pink flash though. Why can’t Wyze just fix the issue?!

Because that would involve caring about their customers and products :slight_smile:
Like you said, the company has gone way downhill.

1 Like

I have done 2 calls in an attempt for Wyze customer support - it definitely is not there, and I won’t call them again. Had Cam V3 since mid February - latest firmware - latest app. All notifications at random turn themselves off - push notifications also. I have toggled them on multiple times and when I look, they are off again. Already enabled on my iphone…
Another thing is - I can make a movement and an event will alert me. Then I can run around the camera, yell, flap my arms… etc… and get no more events to engage.
What a SUPER intruder alert security set up!!!

Are you doing the running, flapping etc. within 5 minutes of the first alert? There is a 5 minute cooldown between events unless you have Cam Plus.

Thanks so much, did not know that. Will test that out tonight :slight_smile:

Pretty sure the box and instructions said the camera records 12 seconds and then has a 5 minute cool down period without a CamPlus subscription.

Thank you for taking the time to reply

Arlene

You’re welcome, glad to help. :wink:

I found this to be pretty annoying as well and was searching the forums hoping to see if anyone else had experienced it and / or found an explanation or solution. I just got my camera within the past week so I wasn’t sure if that was normal / supposed to happen or if it was an issue.

It only happens when the camera is turned on— no other settings or actions I’ve played with seem to affect it or produce the same effects. The click + flash show up in the recorded video literally every single time I turn the camera on.

I didn’t quite understand the very end of your comment— you basically said something about the camera start-up being off sync with the trigger or notification system? Are you saying that’s what causes the click and pink-ish purple flash?

Honestly, one of my first thoughts was that it was some sort of sketchy spyware thing, like every time we turn the camera on, it automatically takes a photo and logs it somewhere for their use? But I have no idea, I’m probably just paranoid, haha…

When the camera powers on it does something (I read the technical explanation ages ago, I think it has to do with the IR filter flipping up and back down). This causes a mechanical click, and produces a pink flash as it moves. Back on older firmware notifications wouldn’t turn on until after this had happened. Wyze changed something in the firmware to speed up notifications, and an unwanted effect of this is now that the camera is ready to send notifications before this IR filter movement even completes… so here’s the sequence of events

1. Power on camera
  2. Camera ready to detect motion/send notifications
  3. IR filter moves a split second later producing a click and pink flash
  4. Camera recognizes this as sound and movement, and sends a notification
  5. User gets a nuisance notification

What you need to do is create two rules, e.g:
8:00 - Power on camera
8:02 - Turn on notifications from camera

so that notifications won’t start sending until 2 minutes after the camera turns on. Hope that helps

1 Like

This is very interesting and have to wonder why Wyze won’t change it, seems like it would be a simple thing. We shouldn’t have to come up with workarounds if Wyze did their job!

I was about ready to throw out all my V2 cameras because of this pink flash issue and I have over a dozen of them. I’ll try the rules thing but I’m not exactly sure how to do it. But thanks darkpuma for your explanation as to why this issue is happening. All Wyze customer support does is have us go through useless troubleshooting steps that don’t fix anything and ultimately saying the camera needs to be replaced, which also wouldn’t fix anything. You’d think Wyze would educate their customer support about this issue and provide solutions/workarounds.

But you could post a step by step instruction on how to setup those two rules, that would be great.

Here are the two rules I made. First rule starts the cameras at 7:00, the second rule enables notifications on the cameras one minute later (7:01). The “End Time” for both rules can be the same. In my example I have two cameras, and my global notifications always stay unmuted. Hope that helps

Is there a rule I can make without having a start time? I prefer to turn my camera’s on and off myself. I currently have rules for “Away” to turn them all on and “Home” to turn them all off. But often I only want certain cameras on.