Why Wyze Cam v2 always shipped not working?

I received 7 Wyze Cam v2 over a period of 5 months, including in February 2020, and each time they are unable to be setup without having to do manual firmware update first. I don’t understand why the product will always be shipped not working, why it’s not shipped with a firmware that work?

Also, the Wyze Cam should report diagnostic info to Wyze like when and how many times the user had to do manual firmware update. So that I don’t need to write this to get things better at Wyze.

Hi Mobidie, I’m sorry that you are having such a poor experience, this has not been my experience, hopefully we can figure out what is wrong. Over the last 2 years I have also bought 7 Wyze cam v2s, in 5 different shipments, and had not had one lemon yet. Can you take us through the steps you take once you receive the camera in order to set it up? Where is it going wrong?

1 Like

I’ve bought 1 v2 and 2 pans in the last 6 months. All worked out of the box. Can you please tell us where you purchased these and your setup method? @Mavens

1 Like

I have well respected ASUS router RT-AC5300. I bought all my Wyze Cam v2 directly from Wyze. I use the Android app latest version on Google Pixel XL latest version of android, so V10, it scan the barcode successfully, then doesn’t get connected most of the time, or if get connected, when re-powering the cam, it’s not connected anymore. I reached to support in some cases, but all the same. Was kind of special, the first time, where I receive a batch of 5, and each of them had the same problem…

1 Like

Have you checked these issues with ASUS routers?

1 Like

I don’t use Smart Connect, and also, keep in mind that updating manually the firmware fixed the issue. I did had “Airtime fairness” enabled. If Wyze know about this, and it still writing new firmware, why they don’t fix the incompatibility with airtime fairness?

1 Like

It sounds more like an Asus issue to me than a Wyze issue.

When you say manual updating the firmware, are you talking about having to download the files from the Wyze website, transfer to a card and rename and then flash the firmware or are you talking about the cam promoting you to update firmware when you use it?
If you mean the cam promoting you,the answer to your question about why shipped lies in the facts of inventory - Cams would be boxed and shipped with current firmware but might not be sold/used until that firmware has been replaced by newer updated versions.
About the connectivity issues, my experience has been that almost always, but certainly not an absolute always, the problem lies with wifi. Either an overcrowded network with too many devices for it, poor coverage in certain spots, neighboring network interference on some crowded channels, sometimes a cam located behind a signal obstruction or within a case which blocks a possibly marginal-to-begin-with signal, etc. I beat myself up for months trying to solve connectivity problems on an ATT/Pace combo box with endless frustration. Gave up and simply added a parallel mesh system and moved my devices (just under 60) To it and suddenly no problems!

1 Like

How that can be an Asus issue if after I do a manual firmware update it start to work. I’m doing the firmware update on the Wyze Cam v2, not on the Asus router.

1 Like

Firmware update I’m talking about is the ‘manual’, where you download a file, put an SD card. re-power the device while pressing the button.

1 Like

I didn’t mean that the update would be to the router. That is definitely a camera only process.
I’m not familiar directly with the Asus. I know it has a good reputation but I’ve not dealt with it directly. I was offering general advice based on what I’ve seen others go thru and my own experience that connectivity issues are most often Wi-Fi related. You make a good point about firmware update.
If I understand you correctly your cams were basically ‘bricks’ out of the box that would not install at all, you then downloaded the most recent firmware files, went thru the rename and card install and then the cams connected and I assume are still working. If that’s the case and you say you reached out to support before, I would recommend you Open a New Support Ticket and document what you have done, including your earlier support ticket numbers and your conversations here. If this is a manufacturing issue I’m sure Wyze would want to know.
Keep us posted!

2 Likes

I have bought cams and recently plugs over the years…never had any dead or issues with any of them being setup. First power up and the thing chimes and says ready to connect.
I also have had 2 cams set outside in the hot summer and snowy winter for 3 yrs now, and they still work. havnt updated the RTSP firmware in over a year.