Why was Android hardware decoding removed?

Something that should have been done before releasing this version.

1 Like

How did this get released without regression testing ?. Concerned that there is little testing of these releases and we are going to have future releases with issues.

3 Likes

There was beta testing done before release of it

1 Like

Here to confirm that there was beta testing but we understand that we didn’t test with a large enough range of devices. What I am saying is that we would all want the beta testing for this fix to last longer than a handful of days to make sure that the stability is where it should be.

5 Likes

A lot of the users enrolled in the Beta program have fairly advanced devices, and thus likely didn’t notice any difference.

1 Like

Was the person in charge of testing terminated? <— Just an expression of my frustration with the quality control exhibited by Wyze with their software and firmware releases.

I’ve only been a customer since April and in that time there have been 2 instances where inadequately tested F/W and/or S/W releases have made my devices effectively inoperative. I spent 35 years in IT - the vast majority of that time in software/systems development. If I had 2 major fails in 5 months I would have been unemployed - no questions asked.

4 Likes

That just means there was no formal test plan in place at any stage of development. Testing is not a matter of ‘go play with it and see what it does’.

2 Likes

Just one more reason to not rely on Beta testing only.

I agree with @R_T. Been developing SW for 37 years and I always bench test all lines of code I write. Always profile (measure times, etc) the code and never rely on emulators. Last years developing Android and iOS I have a high-end and low-end phones just to bench-test. Then it goes through formal testing over hundreds of test cases. If after unit-test, bench-test, formal-test still looks releasable we go alpha and then beta before we consider releasing products. And still, we still miss bugs.

Ever since I got the WYZE app I’ve been frustrated with the user experience (I guess there is no UFE), speed and quality.

I hope WYZE realizes that cramming features comes at a price and if it is quality then the software can kill an entire product line.
:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

@R_T @xrigau

This is hard criticism, but it’s specific and apparently informed. I find it quite interesting.

I’ve been on these boards for some nine months and in that time Wyze has demonstrated its tolerance for hard, open criticism. It really does distinguish them as a company, IMO.

Here’s what I think Wyze thinks: It’s all good.

…consonant with the collect everything principle. :hugs: ← (Wyze embracing all feedback)

With the best testing procedures bugs will get missed. This was a big one, but it does not nesn they did not have testing procedures in place, it nasty mean they need to change them, but as you pointed out you always miss bugs, you just try to catch as many as you can

Well, @UserCustomerGwen post makes it look like this was the only testing. IDK if it is the case or not. If it is, then WYZE need to improve the quality assurance. I hope that WYZE will learn from it and not repeat the same mistake. Making mistakes is human, learning and correcting them is from wise people. :wink:

3 Likes

That is something I agree with 100 percent, and I hope (and believe) they are making changes to try and avoid something like this in the future.

4 Likes

I would hope so as well but I suspect my belief is not at the same level as yours given this follows on the heels of the PanScan F/W debacle a little while back. That little ‘mishap’ just like this one was related to the basic functionality of the product, not some minor obscure feature that got overlooked. Does not speak well for either the testing protocols or the ability to learn from past mistakes.

4 Likes

I can speak for us making changes internally. We messed up and we’re sorry. We’re going over our methods and making changes. We may not be perfect at first but we are working on improving and we are taking the feedback to heart. I’ve been sharing your perspectives with the team.

4 Likes

We know you are trying to help us. Thank you. And best wishes to the team that is working on this. Give them all a big hug and some wyze words of encouragement.

Regards,
John

1 Like

I remember that time before I became perfect. No bueno.

Plugs are nice. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing. :laughing:

~George Bernard Shaw Quotes~

3 Likes

But a life spent making the same mistakes repeatedly is both foolish and wasted.

~R_T Quotes~ :grinning:

3 Likes

Your quote seems to describe the whole human race. Have you ever made the same mistake twice? :thinking:

I don’t consider it being foolish or wasted. Honestly, It is the alarming weakness of all mortal beings. :wink:

2 Likes