Who dunnit? The bird murder-mystery

They could have easily been working together to pull back and slingshot that bird from the nearby tree.

See also, Murder On The Orient Express.

1 Like

I have not seen nor read it…though I do know the general gist of the story :slight_smile:

Beautiful cats :slight_smile:

Are they indoor cats or do they go outside and are let to roam wherever they please .

Do you get scared they may get killed , stolen , or lost out their in the world? I’m sure you’ve got them chipped just in case

1 Like

Thanks.

They are free to come and go as they please. There is a cat door in my daughter’s window which allows them to go in and out. For the most part they stay on our property. Sometimes they will wonder a couple of houses away, but not too far since there are other cats in the neighborhood that “Own” other nearby territory, so they mostly stay at our house. Pumpking and Aurora basically never leave our property, and Kovu mostly sits on the front porch, but will wonder a little bit. Flower has mostly adopted one of our neighbors because he HATES Kovu (Kovu bullies him and River, and sometimes the others, but mostly Flower and River), and the elderly man LOVES Flower. They called us and asked if it was okay…he feeds and pets and loves Flower, so Flower prefers his house, and since the guy is nice to our kitty, we told him we are totally okay with it. We bring him back home sometimes to trim his fur if it gets matted (he learned not to clean himself because he used to have infected teeth and it would hurt, so if someone doesn’t brush him regularly and clean him, he needs to be shaved in the springtime, etc).

I believe they’re all chipped (1 or 2 might not be, I can’t remember). We usually have them wearing collars with bells and a little tag with our phone number and our street, and asking people to be nice to them and something unique about the individual cat.

We did have Flower get stolen once…as you can see above.

I do worry about them a little. A neighbor a couple of blocks to the south had their cat come home with a 22 bullet inside their cat (took it to the vet and an Xray found someone had shot their cat with a 22), though my cats don’t ever stray that far, but it’s still sad. My road has fairly low traffic, so I’m not very concerned about that, and most of my neighbors love our kitties. But you never know…some people can be complete psychopaths when it comes to animals, so there is always some concern.

1 Like

I was going to say another bird did it. Most of the birds that slam into my windows make it. They don’t usually fly in as fast as this one did.

2 Likes

I took the grids out of our old patio doors because the glass was hard to clean with them in. After years of removing and installing, the catches wore out so I threw the grids away. About a month later we heard a thump from the kitchen. Found a finch laying on the ground. It ran right into the patio door. I picked it up and messed with it a bit. It started moving, and flew away. Must have been stunned. (insert Monty Python reference here).
Fast forward another few weeks. Another thud. This one didn’t wake up.

I put some film on the glass and later replaced the door with one with internal blinds. No more thuds.

1 Like

Aww man. But I’m glad you fixed it.

Watch out. Birds can organize and look for revenge.

1 Like

Ha, I have watched that movie several times over the past years. I remember when I first watched it so many years ago how scared I was. It left a big impression on me haha.

1 Like

Cat “allergic to his own teeth” :scream_cat:?

I know! Apparently, it’s relatively common. It’s a form of Feline Stomatisis and occurs in as many as 1 in every 20 cats (4%). Basically, it’s an immune disorder where they are allergic to the plaque, enamel, or roots of the teeth. We think my cat was allergic to the roots of his teeth. The Vet said they had to pull them out and let us know it would keep happening until he would eventually have to pull ALL of his teeth, which did eventually happen.

Some people also have a form of stomatitis, but rarely to same extent as cats. I couldn’t imagine being allergic to enamel, plaque or the roots of my teeth! I would definitely go get implants.

But 1 in 20 cats deal with this!!! Poor little guys. Then most of them have Kidney Disease late in life --though apparently they have recently approved a new treatment that should overcome their common kidney issues…cats might live way longer now to be able to be old ones laying around all day sleeping. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@carverofchoice

Breast enhancement is off topic

:roll_eyes::rofl:

Wow, interesting. I was told that if you get coconut oil on their teeth, it’ll reduce the plaque.

2 Likes

Yeah that probably helps a lot for those allergic to the plaque. It also has antimicrobial properties that can help reduce the bacteria in thier mouth. From what I understand, it mostly helps to keep their mouth clean and prevent more plaque, but something else is usually needed to remove the plaque that already exists.

Sadly, they believed my cat was allergic to his roots…not sure there was anything we could do but wait for his immune reaction. But we did actually get some special stuff to try to help keep his teeth clean, just in case. I can’t remember what it was, it was so long ago now. We did consider removing all of his teeth at the same time, but in consulting different vets and weighing the options, we all determined it was better to let him keep healthy teeth until his body rejected them, so we let him keep his teeth as long as possible, but eventually he had to lose them all.

Some of his brother cats would bring him a rodent to play with, and he couldn’t even hurt it, especially since sometimes we would trim our cats’ claws or put little plastic covers on their claws. So on those occasions, when they did bring him a rodent to play with, it was actually harmless playing…until I found out and let the thing go :joy:

Too bad Catius Flavius doesn’t have feline stomatitis…Imagine if he didn’t have teeth and his claws were clipped or plastic covered so that you could be sure he was really just high-fiving your visitors. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, people use it in oil pulling. I tried it once but couldn’t do it as long as you’re supposed to. I use unflavored stuff in my cooking sometimes because I can’t stand the taste of coconut.

Yeah, on Catius Flavius! At least the new location of the feeding table is higher up.

1 Like

The bird obliviously flew into the side of the house , more likely a window or door glass. Broken neck killed it instantly. Good looking cats , but none of them killed the bird.

4 Likes

Cats (Domestic and feral) are the #1 killer of song birdbirds worldwide. In Canada alone, its 100 million PER YEAR . I think its like 4 Billion worldwide and 22 million mammals… KILLERS !!
(I have 2 and a dog!)

Wow, that’s a lot of birds…

I still like my cat though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Me too, I love my outdoor pesticide-free rodent killers.

4 Likes