What Box Do I Need For Cellular Connectivity?

No internet available at my 2nd home. Can I use my existing cell service by adding a device box? Maybe something like a JetPack except it would be able to stay plugged in 24/7?

Here is what i want to do:

Wyze Cams <> 2.4G Home Network <> BOX <> Verizon 4G Network <> My iPhone <> Wyze App

What is the BOX I need to make this work in both directions?

Thank you.

1 Like

Yep, something like a cellular hotspot.

I have a few different ways I do this. With Verizon, you need an LTE modem/router that you put a SIM card in. Make sure the device works with Verizon!! We have no internet available to us EXCEPT wireless LTE. At home I use a Wirelessys brand, with a tablet plan SIM. I have used both Verizon and AT&T with this system. On this system I am running Wyze, Blink, and Ring, as well as many other smart devices (Echo, plugs, lights, etc.). If you don’t have a good LTE signal, then external antennas/signal boosters become necessary. This system is affordable and very dependable, and simple.

Netgear Nighthawk is also good, but not as reliable. You can remove the battery from it and leave it plugged in. But…you will constantly have to reset it, I own a new one, it’s a giant pain.

There are many other LTE modems, but for many the price is prohibitive.

I am NOT a fan of traditional hotspot devices, as I want to get into the gateway and do my own settings. Also, the batteries are not intended to be plugged in 24/7.

I have also used an iPad with Verizon service, tethered to a router. Easy, cheap, and a bit more dependable.

To the best of my knowledge, I was perhaps the first person to set up TWO outdoor cam systems at the Marina where we dock our boats. In the early days you had to have an ethernet connection on the base, so I used a cheap plug in extender that was getting wireless signal from an iPad. And the base station was plugged into the ethernet.

I am 64 and still Macgyvering things on a daily basis!! Started in the 70s, in SoCal garages with the computer dudes…

2 Likes

Check to see what service gets the best coverage at your second home.
You might even check out Starlink.
My BIL uses a Verizon hotspot fairly well in northeast Mississippi. I use an AT&T/ZTE Mobley with sporadic results. Works great in most of the area but there are occasional deadzones.
Starlink is providing beta service for most of the US soon, but it’s a $500 hardware buy and $100/month.

During beta, users can expect to see data speeds vary from 50Mb/s to 150Mb/s and latency from 20ms to 40ms

My Mobley gets about 6 to 20 down and 4 to 6 up. Compared to my landline DSL of 7+ down on 0.7 up. I can only stream 2 or so cams.
I was seriously looking into getting Starlink but now my local power company is promising fiber for $55 (100 up and down) by next year.