Welcome Wyze Thermostat: the simple and affordable way to bring smart heating & cooling to your home - 10/6/20

Are there ever plans to have this work with a 2 zone system? Im in the same boat 2 thermostats (1 upstairs amd 1 downstairs) 1 HVAC unit.

Or is this just a physical limitation?

I have asked and asked, is there a way to password protect, or lock the thermostat.
Thank you

we did not design that while launch, however, due to the feedback we collected from customer after launch, we have started the development since last week. I won’t promise a date for release because we are testing, but I am sure it will have it with app updates

5 Likes

I have a gas heater in my Park Model (trailer) and it only has two wires connected to the thermostat, (Rh, W). However there is a bundle of 6 wires going from the heater to the thermostat. I got the same message on the compatibility checker. However if I add a 24Vac Power adapter for $13 bucks to the Rc and the C wires, then it passes the test. So I just have to splice in the power adapter wires near the heater and connect the ends to the Rc and C and the Wyze should work. This approach works for other brands of smart thermostat’s too. https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Transformer,C-Wire-Thermostat,Compatible-Honeywell-Thermostat/dp/B07L4DN5R2/ref=psdc_6396124011_t2_B075PN6NCV

2 Likes

I have two Honeywell smart thermostat’s in my home on two different ac units. One has a “recirculate” fan setting, that turns on the fan without the AC unit to circulate the air for 20% of each hour. Does the Wyze thermostat have this feature? If so I’ll replace the Honeywell thermostat that doesn’t have the feature, since Honeywell charges over $200 to get this feature.

yes, Wyze thermostat has three fan control mode, Auto, Cycle (you can set x min per hour) and Always on

4 Likes

My question is, will this have a programmable anti short cycle delay (asd) feature to increase central air system lifespan?

Basically if the temperature changes quickly enough that the system needs to kick on and off too often, you can set a minimum threshold of time before it can kick back on.

Years ago i bought a thermostat for a keg freezer (keezer) that does this to lengthen the lifespan of the freezer parts.

Thank you

As far as newer household HVAC systems, it is built in. But I would check manufacturer. If you put a cheap thermostat in that does not have that feature, it would be real bad on the AC manufacturer if the compressor but up. The last several I have had has this built into the unit, and is thermostat independent.

yes, we do. The min safety time delay is 2 min, we also allow users to expand it.

3 Likes

Is it possible to get a close up picture of the terminals of the thermostat or a schematic? In particular, I need to see if it has at least 2 sensor connections, S1, S2. Attached is a schematic of my current thermostat with the colors of wires written in pencil.

Edit: Can you turn on the auxiliary heat manually, bypassing the heat pump, there have been a few times where this has been needed? The compatibly checker says compatible, but color me skeptical, since twice a different HVAC guy has replaced the thermostat, only to have to put the old thermostat back on due to the new one not handling the multi stage heating properly (has 2 separate heating elements, basically 3 stage heating, 1st stage being the heat pump).

Edit: Nevermind, I see the terminals on the product description page, I should have noticed that sooner.

That’s awesome
Thanks for response!

My unit is actually a bit oversized for the house which means it cycles more often

I don’t know if a bare minimum cycle time is built into the unit although that sounds smart but either way i like the ability to widen that gap via the thermostat

Hi WyzeGwendolyn, how are you?
Wyze can show a video of how the app works on the thermostat and doorbell (if using the same Wyze app).
Thanks

Probably a silly question, but it doesn’t hurt asking: the thermostat will work locally, in case network connectivity is lost, correct?

Welcome to thee Wyze community @izar.tarandach!
Yes, the thermostat works manually (locally) at all times. The app is required for creating schedules and changing advanced settings.

2 Likes

Okay, you got me with that feature. I had no intention of buying the Wyze T-stat. Or any smart thermostat since most of our heat is from a wood pellet stove. But being able to cycle the fan every hour for a set time will helps to even the heat around the house from the pellet stove. I currently do it manually with the fan switch on my dumb T-Stat when I remember to do it and then have to remember to turn it off…Order placed

4 Likes

Does anyone know if the Therm will control radiant flooring? Both electrical and or water systems. Don’t know many people doing hot air radiant flooring. I am stoked on the brand! Thanks Wyze!

I have been using this feature as well. During the day the sun comes in downstairs more and heats the downstairs up so the heat doesnt run as much and the upstairs gets cold. The opposite happens in the late afternoon/evening. So I have the fan set to run 10 mins every hour and it helps by pulling air from the cold air returns on all 3 levels and spreading the air around the house so it keeps all 3 levels closer to the same temp,

A year too late. I finally broke down and bought an expensive one last Christmas.

Screwed up big time with a red readout

Can someone confirm if this supports homes with HVAC and a whole home humidifier?