Vole Cam Down Under

I set up an extra V3 that I repaired this summer to monitor a rodent issue near the ground. We got a foot of snow 2 days ago so the cam is buried under all the white stuff. Just checked it and a vole decided to make its tunnel right in front of it:

7 Likes

A mole has a pointed snout, enlarged front feet, and eyes and ears so tiny that they are not visible. A vole, also called a meadow mouse, has rounded ears and body and is reddish or brown and black in color with a gray underside.

Some dogs will lie in wait and will dig the varmint out of the ground.

Some years our back and side yards will have lots of damage from underground critters. Other years nothing.

We have lived in this house over 40 years and I have tried many ‘remedies’.

I read that if you have moles, you have grub worms. Kill the grubs and the moles will move on. Problem is, grub worms are good for the soil. The tradeoff for a lawn with piles of dirt or crappy grass if you use GrubEx.

The spring loaded traps have had no results in my yard. Find a run, tamp it down flat, and they make a new run. Illinois moles are smart. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Open the run and put poison peanuts in and cover it up.

A mixture of Dawn dishwashing liquid and castor oil. The moles know the castor bean plant is poisonous to them, so they move on. The Dawn is to hold the castor oil in suspension so it doesn’t wash away easily.

3 Likes

My parents many years ago lived in an area with a huge gopher problem. My Dad tried all kinds of thing to get rid of them. None worked as well as the cat. In the eight years we lived there, the cat caught a gopher every single day. The cat did have to show off his work however so the remains were left on the front porch - every day.

1 Like

I’ve been slowing them down but they are still there - both moles and voles. You are both correct - not much works.

Wow, that is so cool! I have a bunch of voles in my yard. They’ve been doing a great job of aerating it too.

1 Like

The voles ate all of our hostas that we’ve had for years - I don’t know if they will come back (the plants that is - I’m sure the voles will be back!).

Oh no. So sorry to hear that!

1 Like

Yup - I set my spare cam on one and watched the voles come out their tunnel and over the summer repeatedly gnaw them down to nothing. They never got any chance to produce leaves. I also wonder what they were eating underground that I couldn’t see.

Aww. Voles eat roots, like potatoes, too.

1 Like