Google Assistant - Voice commands for turning lamp socket on and off

I can’t believe it doesn’t have it but I need to be able to turn the light on the Lamp Socket on/off with Google Assistant. Since the lamp socket requires you to leave the light switch on all the time there needs to be an easy way to turn the light on/off when needed. Voice assistant commands are the solution.

It seems like it should be able to do this. I just ordered them with this feature in mind.

When you go into Google Home, you don’t see these devices as being available to enable them for assistant?!

Have you done this for your cameras or plugs?

I can see other Wyze devices in Google Assistant and is expect these to be no different.

2 Likes

I agree. All I want to be able to do is tell my wire-tap device to turn my porch light on!!! Ugh, first world problems!

3 Likes

I can’t tell you how surprised I was to find this functionality missing. On top of that, trying to turn the lights on manually in the app is buried deep in camera menu.

Please give us voice control for the lamp socket. :grinning:

3 Likes

You can make a shortcut(circled in yellow) to make turning on/slightly easier.

Click on the “+” in the upper left > add rule > short cut > camera with socket > turn socket on. Repeat for off

Still wanting voice control though

1 Like

Thank you @cfhgarza ! That is better than rummaging around in my camera settings.

Alexa integration would still be preferred but this helps a lot.

1 Like

You can also turn the light on/off directly at the camera screen. Just above the image, top right, you should see a light bulb that you can tap. When silhouetted, the light is off; when filled-in, the light is on. Much easier than going to the camera settings, but I still hope to have voice command in the future.

That’s a really needed feature! Please @wyze, prioritize that on your jira backlog!

1 Like

Asking for insights from Wyze: has this feature made it to a near-future enhancements list? I understand why it may not have made the INITIAL minimally viable product shortlist, but his is such a basic operational need for this product as designed. How about a timeframe…?

4 Likes

I want to be able to manually control the light bulb in my wyze light socket using my google home speaker.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Add more Alexa Actions

Just got two wyze lamp sockets and of course two wyze cam V3s. I’m surprised this is not a feature of the product. Please add this feature.

3 Likes

The ability to control wyze lamp socket directly from with in Google home app would be great,

I expected this to work when I bought them but was very disappointed when they didn’t.

To be honest I’m quite disappointed with the lamp socket management in the wyze app in general.
They don’t even appear as separate devices but are add-ons to they wyze cam3 and you can’t even control each lamp socket separately they sync and act as one group.

But it’s sad they by default this is not a feature to have the ability to directly on/off the lamp socket from the wyze app homepage

Cant believe it dont have it either. Hopefully they update it.

The problem with turning it on from the camera screen is that it uses the default settings and turn off after a few minutes so you can’t just turn the light on and use the space for how long you want, then go back into the app when you’re done and turn it off. These really need better third party integration. I want to tie mine into home assistant.

1 Like

Not much help for direct Google/Alexa voice commands, but I was able to modify the WyzeHub driver for Hubitat to allow control of a Wyze lamp socket.

Within the driver the floodlight on/off control will control the lamp socket. So a smart home driver that controls the Wyze floodlight via the Cam V3 should control the lamp socket.

I modified this driver by changing the on() and off() methods to control the lamp socket and creating new commands for turning the camera on and off. After that I could connect it to Alexa as a normal switch through the normal Hubitat Alexa app. I now have normal Alexa voice control of the (dumb) bulb plugged into the Wyze Lamp Socket.

( [RELEASE] WyzeHub - Wyze Device Integration (minimal cam support) - Custom Apps - Hubitat )

Modifications (replace old on() off() methods with these):

def on()
{
setFloodlightPowerstate(“true”)
}
def off()
{
setFloodlightPowerstate(“false”)
}

Bought V3 Pro along with a couple sockets, disappointed to find that it doesn’t work with v3Pro so had to swap that out with an older V3… which defeated the purpose of getting the higher resolution camera for our front yard if I can’t use it there. Then I find out that you can’t control having the lights go on or off without going into the Wyze app…no IFTT anymore, can’t even connect it to Alexa to do a routine there. Noone in my house (including me) has been bothering to open the app to turn the lights on or off. We just flip the lightswitch which not only prevents the lights from going on automatically later, but takes the camera offline. Come on folks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seems like a very quick and easy adjustment, even considering software dev & test life cycle. Clearly not in their priority list though.

Wyze, PLEASE add a lamp on/offcommand to Google/Alexa integration!

Also, hadn’t heard ilamp socket doesn’t work with a V3 pro; thanks for sharing that.

1 Like

Wyze owls, are you willing to make a statement if some sort on this topic? It’s a quick hit/win effort. Maybe, like, it’s in our list but not for 1H23 or something helpful?