View On PC/Browser (Windows / Mac / Chromebook)

[Mod Edit]

they have never presented themselves as a security camera system.

they now have a home security option, but thats not what their cameras are sold as.

Just because thats how you chose to use them, it doesnt mean thats the bar they have ever set for themselves or promises they made to anyone.

you can buy a dog collar to use as a belt, but its on you when you finally figure out it doesnt work out well compared to actual belts.

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

1 Like

[Mod Edit]… Sit back and be happy that Wyze is finally committed to our single most posted shortcoming. I, for one, am ecstatic that this has happened… They may, at some point sell a camera that will qualify as a security camera…

2 Likes

[Mod Edit] They sold themselves as the cure all solution to a dvr box and ring if you were a customer back in late 2016 early 2017. They were directly competing with ring and owl. [Mod Edit]

1 Like

Some posts were removed or edited that did not follow the Community Guidelines. Please flag posts that violate the guidelines so the moderators can respond appropriately.

Key points from the guidelines to keep in mind:

• Remember to criticize ideas, not people
  • Please avoid name-calling
  • Don’t divert a topic by changing it midstream
  • Keep posts relevant to Wyze

Important sections:

Always Be Civil

Somtimes We Disagree

2 Likes

It could be worse. An older friend of mine went with a wired camera system with NVR (Zmodo), and during the intervening 3+ years, they have stopped selling and way to power the cameras, and they use a proprietary form of PoE. (I thought it was just passive PoE, but apparently not). After the under warranty replacement for the unit powering their cameras failed, they now have 8 cameras that are effectively useless, unless they want to pay a good chunk of change for one of the increasingly rare used units.

As to the “cash grabbing option”, the only thing I see we have to pay for that used to be free is person detection, and as that wasn’t an option when I purchased my Wyze cameras, I have no reason to complain.

As to streaming to web browsers, in this article:

…I spotted this little gem buried in the text:
“In addition, Google is adding support for WebRTC to reduce latency for live video and audio streaming from security cameras or video doorbells to your TVs, displays or phones. Companies like Logitech, Arlo, Wyze and Netatmo are expected to integrate WebRTC with Google Assistant in the coming weeks”.

1 Like

No, wrong. That old disingenuous “ha they’re not security cameras” argument never held weight and was later upended. When the home security system was announced, the existing Wyze camera line was deemed appropriate parts of the new security system. Wyze cams are sold as security cameras.

Well she didn’t say “soon”. She said “later”. :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for the update. Will this be stand alone access or integrated into some other service from the likes of Google or Amazon? I already give them enough of my data for their profit making.

You can, of course view the camera in landscape; even multiple. I do that with my iPad Pro daily. Great way to monitor deliveries while keeping an eye on my laser engraver’s progress.

1 Like

Angus, the key to my question is mention of the “App”

I appreciate your response Though

Anything Google is part I want NO part of… They’ll be monitoring & analyzing feeds just like they do with cellphones, etc. Their ‘Privacy Statement’ should simply read ’ there is none’.

One thing to keep in mind, always, when dealing with the internet (or anything for that matter) is if the service is free then you are the product. Makes no difference if it’s Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, etc.

1 Like

You are not responding to me. :blush:

She didn’t say soon, but yea. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Well, poop

Google is relevant only so far as the information appeared in an article about their product. The key was that it implied Wyze would be adding RTC support (how they’ve said they intend to support browser viewing) sooner than we might have expected.

Frankly, when they said “this year”, I was tempted to remind people that meant it could easily be six months from now.

Agreed, just my thoughts on Big Tech these days… Personally I’d rather pay a small fee for privacy.

Do you use your iPad Pro with an ‘attached’ keyboard in Landscape mode by chance?

I do, and to tap on an alert, and have to turn the iPad to Landscape, is now beyond annoying.

Hopefully the web view will make up for that annoyance until Wyze app 3.x addresses this issue on iPads and Android Tablets.

SJ

Great to hear that its in development! No matter how it shakes out (web app or windows app), I would love to have both the regular cam feed (V1, V2, V3, WCO) and the door bell cam feed in the same view window.
It may limit it to three camera sources on a screen but I’d be ok with that.

1 Like

No. I just have it resting in a cheap plate holder that supports it vertically. When I had a delivery I would rotate it to portrait & monitor my 3 cameras by making a device group. When I turned it landscape I got the three camera views nicely laid out on the screen. I can tap any one to ‘drop in’ to that camera only.

That’s the extent of what can be done. I still suffer the same portrait-only mode everyone else is. I was a bit surprised landscape even gave me that option the way the app normally works.

PS: I don’t bother with notifications generally. I use IFTTT to trigger lights to flash when the cameras detect motion.